New Primary DSLR for video

Dredgy

Hi

Doing up my secondary camera rig for multi camera shoots, and I lack a secondary camera! Will pretty much be exclusively for video, and will be my primary camera (will repurpose my 550D as secondary).

Features I am looking for, though none really are necessary:

1. Can shoot in 1080p or higher. 4K not necessary at all, but 2.5 or 2.7k an advantage as I can crop.

2. Can output 1080p over HDMI for use with external SSD recorder.

3. Support for Canon lenses a huuuuuge advantage.

4. Cheapish.

5. Compact enough to fit into a smallish cage.

Cameras I am mainly looking at:

1. Canon 1D-C - as far as I can tell this does everything I want and then some. $10k+ price tag is hard to justify.

2. BlackMagic Cinema 4K - more palatable price, won't have to dip into savings. Compatible with canon lenses, unsure of quality.

3. A canon camcorder. I dislike the design of these, so haven't really researched. But I prefer the compact DSLR form factor. However a camcorder may afford me better audio options.

4. Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera - cheap as chips and does most what I want, if not all (unsure if HDMI outputs 1080p). But I lack a hardon for it and have read some negative reviews. Also have to adapt lenses.

Any insight? Suggestions? I run the camera on a rig with a cage, teleprompter, a couple of microphones, an external 7" monitor and a few other tidbits. Shooting is all in a well lit studio area, but would like the option to go outdoors,

Thank you.

Black magic cinema camera or 7d mk ii

I would go for the 7d mk ii

1080p 60 fps

Full time phase detect af in video

great still camera

clean hdmi out.

The BMC 4k camera is great, I have got to use one for 2 shoots and love it wish I owned one..

BMCC 4k

DSLRs are a good compromise for photo and video, but for video only not worth it.

black magic 4k cam thingy or the 5D mk3, because i wouldnt recommand a 1d-C unless you are (semi) profesional and can afford it

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

does it have to be a dslr? There is the canon c100 which is purpose built for video

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Black magic cinema camera or 7d mk ii

I would go for the 7d mk ii

1080p 60 fps

Full time phase detect af in video

great still camera

clean hdmi out.

BMCC 4k

DSLRs are a good compromise for photo and video, but for video only not worth it.

7D Mark III struck me as expensive, but is something I will look at again. While great still photos is a positive, I've never had a situation where my EOS 550D has not been able to shoot.

The BMC 4k camera is great, I have got to use one for 2 shoots and love it wish I owned one..

black magic 4k cam thingy or the 5D mk3, because i wouldnt recommand a 1d-C unless you are (semi) profesional and can afford it

The 1D-C would most likely pay for itself in a couple of months, and I have a raging boner for it, but it would not be the wisest thing to do with my money.

does it have to be a dslr? There is the canon c100 which is purpose built for video

Why is it so good? I dislike the camcorder form factor, but I can put that aside. It costs  $2k more than the Black Magic Cinema Camera 2.5K and seems to only do 1080i. It's only advantage that I can tell is dual XLR inputs.

My current front runner is now the Black Magic Cinema Camera 2.5K. Greater than 1080p recording means I could crop and inbuilt SSD recorder is a huge bonus (saves having an external recorder). 

7D Mark III struck me as expensive, but is something I will look at again. While great still photos is a positive, I've never had a situation where my EOS 550D has not been able to shoot.

The 1D-C would most likely pay for itself in a couple of months, and I have a raging boner for it, but it would not be the wisest thing to do with my money.

Why is it so good? I dislike the camcorder form factor, but I can put that aside. It costs  $2k more than the Black Magic Cinema Camera 2.5K and seems to only do 1080i. It's only advantage that I can tell is dual XLR inputs.

My current front runner is now the Black Magic Cinema Camera 2.5K. Greater than 1080p recording means I could crop and inbuilt SSD recorder is a huge bonus (saves having an external recorder). 

7d mk ii is only $1800

And it does 1080/60

I would get it.

Also mic input and headphone jack.

7d mk ii is only $1800

And it does 1080/60

I would get it.

Also mic input and headphone jack.

Sorry, major missing thing from me. I'm in Australia and its $3700 here.

EDIT: Sorry, that was for the Mark III. Mark II is $2000 which is much better, will look at it more in depth.

Sorry, major missing thing from me. I'm in Australia and its $3700 here.

EDIT: Sorry, that was for the Mark III. Mark II is $2000 which is much better, will look at it more in depth.

There is no mark 3 yet.

You are probably looking at the 5d mark 3 which is $3200 or so here.

@Flyguygamer yea I was looking at the 5D.

7D Mark II is a compelling option the more I research. HDMI out with Audio and the like. Is a serious contender.

I thought so. 

I love my canon dslr's for video.

Yea, I enjoy my 550D, but it's lack of clean HDMI out and the factr I need 2 cameras now, has meant it's time for an upgrade.

Yea, I enjoy my 550D, but it's lack of clean HDMI out and the factr I need 2 cameras now, has meant it's time for an upgrade.

Yep. I also lack clean hdmi out so that sucks.

I wasn't gonna post because I'm on an extended break from this forum for personal reasons,

but I felt compelled to share my experience with you on the cameras that I own.

I own a Canon Legria (AUS/UK)/Vixia (US) HF G10 and I absolutely love it. It's the best purchase that I have ever made. I bought it in 2012 (I believe) but there is a newer model, the Canon HF G30. I wouldn't ditch the idea of having a Camcorder because I also have a Canon EOS 700D DSLR and I much prefer the G10 for video work. I would strongly encourage that you try one out, say the HF G30, because I think you'd really love it. The 1080p image quality is fantastic and I couldn't asked for a better camcorder. It does excellent in low light and you can choose to have great manual control over everything or switch it to auto for the camera to handle everything.

If you want more info please feel free to PM me and we can discuss it more in depth.

Now, back to my break!

@Dredgy

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I've never had a situation where my EOS 550D has not been able to shoot.

Do you speak about photo or video?

Sony A7s with atamos shogun

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I wasn't gonna post because I'm on an extended break from this forum for personal reasons,

but I felt compelled to share my experience with you on the cameras that I own.

@Dredgy

I appreciate your time. If you want to talk more, PM me, I won't disturb you. Does the Legria support interchangeable lens? I am fortunate that I live near a film studio so I should be able to get in and dick around with any professional equipment. Hope they have Canon camcorders.

Do you speak about photo or video?

Photo primarily, though both apply. I've never had a problem with the 550D in terms of video quality, but in terms of audio and expansion, I am starting to hit its limits.

I appreciate your time. If you want to talk more, PM me, I won't disturb you.

Sure mate. Nah, you won't disturb me, not at all. Unless of course I'm sleeping, then I'll throw a brick at you! :D JK

Does the Legria support interchangeable lens?

Unfortunately...no, but there are camcorders that do, they're a bit on the expensive side though. I really do find, though, that they're not needed. Once you've used a camcorder, like the G10/G30, you really do get used to it and prefer it, I promise you. :)

I am fortunate that I live near a film studio so I should be able to get in and mess around with any professional equipment. Hope they have Canon camcorders.

That IS fortunate, that's awesome mate! Now I'm jealous. :D

and canon lens adapter to keep compatability.

Yeah currently using an old Canon FD glass  50 f1.8 on mine for fun :3 from my dads old Canon T70 film camera

sorry quick photo from my phone haha

post-17790-0-37051300-1420655710_thumb.j

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I highly second the Sony A7s too. The low-light amazingness, stunning 1080p video, and clean 4k HDMI output make it a really nice camera.

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700X Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming K4 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 RAM: Crucial 32GB 12400Mhz GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition

SSD: PNY 240GB HDD: Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ Case: NZXT S340 Display: Dell P2416D

Camera: Samsung NX1 Audio: Tascam DR-40 Mic: Rode NTG2

Interface: Focusrite 18i20 Monitors: Event 20/20's Mic: Blue Bluebird DAW: Steinberg's Cubase 7.5, Adobe Audition CC

Guitar: MIM Fender Stratocaster Amp: Peavey Classic Chorus 212 Pedals: Dunlop High Gain Volume, Big Muff Germanium Pi, Boss DD-3 Delay, Roland Tuner

Hi

Doing up my secondary camera rig for multi camera shoots, and I lack a secondary camera! Will pretty much be exclusively for video, and will be my primary camera (will repurpose my 550D as secondary).

Features I am looking for, though none really are necessary:

1. Can shoot in 1080p or higher. 4K not necessary at all, but 2.5 or 2.7k an advantage as I can crop.

2. Can output 1080p over HDMI for use with external SSD recorder.

3. Support for Canon lenses a huuuuuge advantage.

4. Cheapish.

5. Compact enough to fit into a smallish cage.

Cameras I am mainly looking at:

1. Canon 1D-C - as far as I can tell this does everything I want and then some. $10k+ price tag is hard to justify.

2. BlackMagic Cinema 4K - more palatable price, won't have to dip into savings. Compatible with canon lenses, unsure of quality.

3. A canon camcorder. I dislike the design of these, so haven't really researched. But I prefer the compact DSLR form factor. However a camcorder may afford me better audio options.

4. Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera - cheap as chips and does most what I want, if not all (unsure if HDMI outputs 1080p). But I lack a hardon for it and have read some negative reviews. Also have to adapt lenses.

Any insight? Suggestions? I run the camera on a rig with a cage, teleprompter, a couple of microphones, an external 7" monitor and a few other tidbits. Shooting is all in a well lit studio area, but would like the option to go outdoors,

Thank you.

Depend on the budget and what you are expecting to shoot. Remember not all cameras are suitable for all jobs. I'd honestly recommend either the Sony NEX-5 (current model) or Sony A7s with a metabones adaptor for whatever lenses you want to attach. If you're on a tighter budget I would suggest a Canon dslr with Magic Lantern or a Panasonic GH4 with powered lens adapters. I would avoid the black magic cameras unless you are willing to invest into SSD's, rigs, and the workflow. The base camera will not get the job done. Also the workflow is much different if you decide to shoot .DNG with the black magic.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Gonna say either 7D MkII, or Sony a7S w/ Metabones Canon speedbooster. The GH4 would be good if you want slo-mo or extreme cropping.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Gonna say either 7D MkII, or Sony a7S w/ Metabones Canon speedbooster. The GH4 would be good if you want slo-mo or extreme cropping.

Or extreme crapping! :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Had to be said. :lol: