New Primary DSLR for video

Dredgy

Also the workflow is much different if you decide to shoot .DNG with the black magic.

I can't see a big difference between editing 1080p24 h.264 fps/2=GOP and RAW 900p24 14bit raw.

Actually the editing of the RAW footage is quite a bit faster.

I can't see a big difference between editing 1080p24 h.264 fps/2=GOP and RAW 900p24 14bit raw.

Actually the editing of the RAW footage is quite a bit faster.

Depends on the workflow and software. You have to keep in mind the the Black Magic is outputting 1 DNG file per frame. Also dependent on the software (will use premiere pro as an example). Last I checked, premiere pro was unable to read the DNG files from the pocket camera, this means throwing it into ACR or LR and transcoding it there.

The Majority of the issues will arise from getting the files into the software more so than anything else. The BMCC works well with PP while the BMPC does not. PP is able to handle the Raw files from the BMCC very easily, only issue being color output, in which case the included davinci resolve should be used.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Will respond in the morning as I accidentally deleted my post.

Depends on the workflow and software. You have to keep in mind the the Black Magic is outputting 1 DNG file per frame. Also dependent on the software (will use premiere pro as an example). Last I checked, premiere pro was unable to read the DNG files from the pocket camera, this means throwing it into ACR or LR and transcoding it there.

The Majority of the issues will arise from getting the files into the software more so than anything else. The BMCC works well with PP while the BMPC does not. PP is able to handle the Raw files from the BMCC very easily, only issue being color output, in which case the included davinci resolve should be used.

Thanks for your response. Sorry for my late reply but computer crashed. My budget is about $5k, though I have such a boner for the 1D-C (which I've recently spent two days with) it is conceivable, though very very unlikely I go up to $10k (especially now I have to replace a PC).

In terms of rigging, it's partly why I need an upgrade - I already have great rigging (cage, tripod, monitors, Teleprompter) and am already at the limits of what SD cards can affordably do. A large part of the reason I want to upgrade is so that I can use an SSD recorder, and the Black Magic cinema camera is seemingly great because it comes with an SSD recorder built in, when other dedicated video cameras at that price cost more. The 4K version has the added bonus of me being able to crop to 21:9 3440*1440. I am very interested in hearing more about the quality of the BMCC, as buying one would mean leaving my Canon ecosystem.

Another thing I'd like that I'm limited by is dual audio inputs, but since this seems to be a camcorder specific functions so I might buy a separate audio recorder.

In terms of editing, that is interesting to hear and probably rules out the Pocket Cinema camera, as I edit in premiere Pro and Adobe Speedgrade for colour correction.

Thanks for your input its been most helpful.

Thanks for your response. Sorry for my late reply but computer crashed. My budget is about $5k, though I have such a boner for the 1D-C (which I've recently spent two days with) it is conceivable, though very very unlikely I go up to $10k (especially now I have to replace a PC).

In terms of rigging, it's partly why I need an upgrade - I already have great rigging (cage, tripod, monitors, Teleprompter) and am already at the limits of what SD cards can affordably do. A large part of the reason I want to upgrade is so that I can use an SSD recorder, and the Black Magic cinema camera is seemingly great because it comes with an SSD recorder built in, when other dedicated video cameras at that price cost more. The 4K version has the added bonus of me being able to crop to 21:9 3440*1440. I am very interested in hearing more about the quality of the BMCC, as buying one would mean leaving my Canon ecosystem.

Another thing I'd like that I'm limited by is dual audio inputs, but since this seems to be a camcorder specific functions so I might buy a separate audio recorder.

In terms of editing, that is interesting to hear and probably rules out the Pocket Cinema camera, as I edit in premiere Pro and Adobe Speedgrade for colour correction.

Thanks for your input its been most helpful.

I'd keep my eye on the 1Dc. Rumor has it that it will see another price drop soon. You also do not need to abandon the Canon glass for most of the mirrorless systems. You can usually find a powered adapter that will report and give you control over your aperture, unless you want proper cinema lenses with delicked apertures and the works.

Since you want compact and already have rigs for your set up, i'm going to agree with what a lot of people said and recommend the Sony A7s. Probably the best compact camera designed for video work at the moment. The only downside(if you want to call it that) is the slightly high base ISO when shooting video. You can use a combination of the A7s with the Atmos Shogun for external 4k recording and a Metabones Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Camera Lens Mount Adapter Mark IV (beautiful name I know).

Since you asked about the black magic cinema camera, you have 2 keep in mind 2 thing, a really small sensor, which could hinder noise performance and the body itself has some quirks according to many on the black magic forums. Other than that, I honestly have minimal experience with the Black Magic Cinema Camera (sorry I couldnt help you out more with this cam).

Best thing I would tell you to do is look at some of the reviews done by Phillip Bloom and Vincent Laforet. They usually put out very extensive reviews about cameras they work with and I believe Phillip Bloom has put up some of the footage, available for download, for both the A7s and the BMCC4k. Other than ergonomics, I think having access to some natively shot footage and playing around with it in your NLE would be the best bet. That way when you understand the workflow, the types of files you'll be getting with both cameras, and what your end result could be (which I think is more important than the cameras itself).

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

• 3 weeks later...

@Scruffy90 @ShadowCaptain @.spider

Thanks for your help.

I ended up going away from what I originally wanted (a compact DSLR/similar). After using everything from the Canon 7D to Red Epic Dragon I made a choice in the BlackMagic Ursa which I will order in a couple of months. I almost didn't try it because of how much I disliked the other Black Magic cameras after them, but was sold pretty quickly on it.

I ended up going away from what I originally wanted (a compact DSLR/similar). After using everything from the Canon 7D to Red Epic Dragon I made a choice in the BlackMagic Ursa which I will order in a couple of months. I almost didn't try it because of how much I disliked the other Black Magic cameras after them, but was sold pretty quickly on it.

That is a serious piece of kit, did not realise you were wanting anything on that level/size as you wanted cheap and compact haha :D otherwise the conversation would have been a little different

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That is a serious piece of kit, did not realise you were wanting anything on that level, otherwise the conversation would have been a little different

Wasn't really (or at all), but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted a greater 1080P resolution to crop, and the more I wanted to be able to capture slow motion footage at that higher resolution (not a one-or-the-other situation).

If I was to upgrade to a 7D or even 1DC or C300 I would end up having limitations that would see me needing another camera in a couple of years. I haven't put a penny down at the moment because I've just spent several thousand dollars on audio, lenses and a tripod but I am fairly sure this is the way I'm going to go. It will mean getting rid of most of my rigging though, but then this doesn't need it.

Wasn't really (or at all), but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted a greater 1080P resolution to crop, and the more I wanted to be able to capture slow motion footage at that higher resolution (not a one-or-the-other situation).

If I was to upgrade to a 7D or even 1DC or C300 I would end up having limitations that would see me needing another camera in a couple of years. I haven't put a penny down at the moment because I've just spent several thousand dollars on audio, lenses and a tripod but I am fairly sure this is the way I'm going to go. It will mean getting rid of most of my rigging though, but then this doesn't need it.

Without knowing really how you are going to use the camera, its very hard to comment on what you need/dont need

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Without knowing really how you are going to use the camera, its very hard to comment on what you need/dont need

Thought I mentioned it in the first post, apparently I did not. 

It will be for studio work. Either in my home studio where I'd like to experiment with a few things, namely tech reviews (if I can bring something new to the field) and else beer and spirit reviews and all sorts of experimental work.

Then to justify the expense, give it to my professional crew when we need to shoot commercials, and also maybe take it to my restaurant and film my own commercial.

The big problem with it is size, can't see me taking it (and the required tripod) travelling. No way I'm climbing a mountain with it, and I'd be hesitant about entering certain countries with that much money in my bag, but you never know.

SNIP.

yeah you never mentioned any of that :D which puts you in a completely different light

yeah the size is certainly an off putting factor, why not get the 4k production camera? half the cost, less quiptment needed and easier to 1 man, and can be easily stuck onto a rig for a film crew

Or just spend the extra on a 1dc :D

CFast as a storage medium is moronic as well, when their other cameras use SSD.

I tried the 4K Production camera and was pretty unimpressed with it - nearly all software issues though. I'm not sure it would need less equipment either - it definitely needs external batteries to start. Form factor is a huge advantage.

1D-C just dropped in price by $4k (a good number :P) so suddenly became much more viable. But it's still lacking - it can't do the high framerate 4K that the URSA can, is limited to ColdFusion and has no option for recording 4K externally. If it drops by price drastically in the next couple of months, I'll reconsider it.

and has no option for recording 4K externally.

True but you can still get amazingly clean sharp 1080p out of it

• 2 weeks later...