Jesus, saying win8 is optimized is an understatement...

vt3c

I put win8 on my sister's pentium dual core machine. Jesus, it's using like 550MB of RAM at boot compared to win7 which used 1.15GB. I threw this machine together for her at the last minute:

Dell Vostro 200
Pentium Dual Core LGA 775 E2180 2.0GHZ
Foxconn G33M02
2x2GB DDR2 800MHZ
BFG Geforce 7950GT OC (still hauls lots of ass for what it is) 
80GB Newer Seagate HDD and older 200GB for le steam games

It runs like jesus on it. 

I mean it runs even better on phenom machines, as predicted.

Been using it for 6 months now

But I'm starting to dig win8 more. 

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Windows 8.1 is a very good OS, Win8 at release was quite a mess though. 

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Yup. That what I love about Win 8(.1) so much.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I agree. Once you get to learn how windows 8/8.1 works, its damn awesome.

The only OS I can quite literally think of that is better optimized than Win8.1 is Xubuntu 14.10, which I have on my toshiba. 

The 30MB of RAM at boot is fucking crazy. I've had 50+ tabs in chrome open and played a game on steam (mind you this was with a core 2 t6400 and 4GB RAM) and accidentally left a 1080p video going in the background with no noticeable frame rate dip in killing floor on integrated graphics.

And I was only using 2.5GB of RAM.

My mind was blown.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Windows 7 is the three-legged puppy, it may not be as fast as a 4-legged puppy, but you still love it.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Jesus?

He's not on this forum, sorry. Maybe you can ask God to get him to join. :P:D JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Windows 8.1 is a very good OS, Win8 at release was quite a mess though. 

It wasn't as bad as vista's mistake though. In like 2006/2007 the average computer had about 2GB of RAM.

Vista used 1.4GB of RAM at boot, and absolutely destroyed graphics cards with it's resource intensive GUI. All of these things were later addressed in software updates and they kinda fixed it... a little. Not entirely, but they tried. But that's the biggest flop I can remember.

He's not on this forum, sorry. Maybe you can ask God to get him to join. :P:D JK

oh i am sure there are a couple of members named jesus in this forum.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

oh i am sure there are a couple of members named jesus in this forum.

Not the real one though. :D

tumblr_mahedlLzyf1qitnim.jpg

"real one" didn't exist according to most historians. so they are pretty real.  :)

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Ooooo, mod moved it to operating systems without me knowing. Sneaky, I'll give him credit. ^3^

Windows 8.1 was a fucking beast. At least, until I opened Chrome. Then I went from having about a gig free (out of two) to literally about 20MB. :P

Not I don't really have to worry though.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Windows 8.1 was a fucking beast. At least, until I opened Chrome. Then I went from having about a gig free (out of two) to literally about 20MB. :P

That more or less google's problem, same thing with my mac.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I really shiggy diggy it. If you make it work the way you want, it'll run on just about anything.

I'm sitting half an inch away from an unusable Power Mac G4 MDD. I needs a copy of leopard or tiger. Ubuntu runs like ass. :( 

"real one" didn't exist according to most historians. so they are pretty real.  :)

They didn't look hard enough. :D

Anyway, you know I'm a Christian and I would like to think that people respect that about me. :)

Yup. And even opening Chrome MURDERS my G3258, even though I have it OC'd to 4.6GHz. Firefox... I had about 30 tabs open on my Dell with Puppy Linux, and it was sitting at about 300MB swap, and about 600-700MB in the RAM. Even Safari (which I'm using now) works better than Chrome, and as for speed... It's just about as fast.

I really shiggy diggy it. If you make it work the way you want, it'll run on just about anything.

I ran it on m netbook before the drivers had a shit fit. It was nice. Other than Metro apps not opening, and most of them running like shit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

They didn't look hard enough. :D

Anyway, you know I'm a Christian and I would like to think that people respect that about me. :)

I respect you, I do laugh at your beliefs tho.  :lol:

Spoiler

I respect you, I do laugh at your beliefs tho.  :lol:

Well, you laugh now, but all will be revealed in the fullness of time. Mark my words! ;)

Well, you laugh now, but all will be revealed in the fullness of time. Mark my words! ;)

Now I am afraid, what are you going to blow up?

Spoiler

I ran it on m netbook before the drivers had a shit fit. It was nice. Other than Metro apps not opening, and most of them running like shit.

In all honesty, I don't use metro apps apart from weather and the occasional photo viewer. For some reason optimization of metro apps was utter crap compared to the rest of the OS as a whole (GUI, boot time, etc)

I hate Windows 8 and 7, Vista. I would still be using XP if games were supported but fuck developers who can makes games for ps3 and xbox 360 which both uses Directx 9 graphics rendering for games but refuse to do the job for XP which is low on resources and require much lower specs hardware to run games and apps. It's all because of marketing BS of microsoft, they pay developers to cut out on the best operating system ever -_-

Windows XP is a pile of dog poo in comparison to Windows 8.1. The only people who think Windows XP is better are the ones still running Athlon 64's and Pentium 4's. The operating system is very limited to old hardware.

I really shiggy diggy it. 

Shiggy diggy eh?

That and Saucy sauce are a create combo. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III