Whole Room Water Cooling Part 3

Funny to me that they could have used PVC pipe instead of copper, and it would have not only been cheaper, but easier to work with, and more leak proof since you don't need to worry about soldering with PVC.

Good to see Linus breaking out the JB weld.

This whole thing just seems like a ridiculous idea now, but still awesome.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So during the test fill , you didnt check for leaks until you were filling it with anti-freeze?

Did you not have a torch to solder that last joint?... why jb-weld?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

So during the test fill , you didnt check for leaks until you were filling it with anti-freeze?

Did you not have a torch to solder that last joint?... why jb-weld?

In order to solder you'd have to drain the entire loop and clean out that pipe so it's dry. You can't solder something that is wet. Beyond that since none of them are actually plumbers soldering pipes by themselves is not a good idea.

Thanks, Nick. Can't wait for part 4.
Also: Glitter glue.
That is all.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

Funny to me that they could have used PVC pipe instead of copper, and it would have not only been cheaper, but easier to work with, and more leak proof since you don't need to worry about soldering with PVC.

Good to see Linus breaking out the JB weld.

This whole thing just seems like a ridiculous idea now, but still awesome.

I brought this point up in the part 2 thread (disappointed to not hear any kind of response about it). However, now that I know that they were using antifreeze it kind of makes since due to incompatibility of different types of antifreezes and PVC/CPVC. Since this wasn't suppose to be a long term set up, I doubt they would develop problems in the time frame of use.

There are a lot of times where I cringe watching these videos as others have stated. Needle nose pliers to tighten fittings? A masonry bit to drill holes through metal? The needle nose I can forgive since it will get the job done, but if you've ever used a drill, it's PAINFULLY obvious the differences in a masonry bit vs wood/metal. It was funny and all but save some face and obmit these clips. It's disheartening to see such a complex and interesting build being constructed using embarassing methods.

I brought this point up in the part 2 thread (disappointed to not hear any kind of response about it). However, now that I know that they were using antifreeze it kind of makes since due to incompatibility of different types of antifreezes and PVC/CPVC. Since this wasn't suppose to be a long term set up, I doubt they would develop problems in the time frame of use.

There are a lot of times where I cringe watching these videos as others have stated. Needle nose pliers to tighten fittings? A masonry bit to drill holes through metal? The needle nose I can forgive since it will get the job done, but if you've ever used a drill, it's PAINFULLY obvious the differences in a masonry bit vs wood/metal. It was funny and all but save some face and obmit these clips. It's disheartening to see such a complex and interesting build being constructed using embarassing methods.

Yeah I cringed alot as well at some of the things they did, like the complete lack of metal braces on the 2x4's on the mounts for the radiators (that's a big no no).

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Did any of you see the POST screen at the end of the video? CPU fan error xD

The suspense is killing me linus

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

Was there a specific reason you guys decided to use what looks like automotive antifreeze (ethylene glycol) for the loop over something less toxic? I made a bet with myself that you guys would go with a propylene glycol solution, and was bummed to see otherwise. PG is FDA approved as a food additive and freezing agent, plus it is widely available as RV antifreeze as a pink liquid (the color is the real selling point here :P ).

Just please be careful when you are moving and have to drain the loop. EG tastes sweet to animals and is quite lethal to them in fairly low concentrations. If you are going to save the fluid (if it is not dirty), no problem. However, if you need to toss it, be sure to bring it to a hazardous material disposal site or auto maintenance facility to keep it out of the storm drains :)

Fun video, thanks a lot!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze#Propylene_glycol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze#Organic_acid_technology

tl:dr

the additives in dex cool (the pink stuff) do not play nice with some gaskets. 

CPU: AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS 12x Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2 GPU RX480 4GB) Memory 16GB DDR1333 SSD: PNY Prevail 120G + Corsair Force LE 120G (Steam) Bulk storage Stable Bit Drive Pool with 5x 2TB 2x 3TB PSU Corsair 600w Case Rosewill Throne

Did any of you see the POST screen at the end of the video? CPU fan error xD

The suspense is killing me linus

Hazard a guess that the pumps do not run off any of the fan headers :-p

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

Hazard a guess that the pumps do not run off any of the fan headers :-p

oh shit xD 

You got me there

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze#Propylene_glycol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze#Organic_acid_technology

tl:dr

the additives in dex cool (the pink stuff) do not play nice with some gaskets. 

I am familiar with Dex-Cool, but that is not what I am talking about. Dex-Cool is still ethylene glycol based just like any other automotive antifreeze (as is its toxicity), it just happens to be orange/red/pink. 

This is the widely available red "RV" propylene glycol I was referring to (Home Depot link): http://www.homedepot.com/p/DOW-South-Win-RV-Antifreeze-with-DOWFROST-147005/202530435

Sorry for the mix-up, I should have been more clear :)

The first wiki link (the PG section) does explain its advantages to EG as far as being non-toxic. Holy smokes, they even allow it to be in salad dressing and ice cream :o . Its oxidation properties and issues with "biological fouling" are very similar to ethylene glycol and as a result, both types of off the shelf antifreeze (EG and PG) have corrosion inhibitors (probably just pH buffers to combat the inevitable oxidation) and other additives included in the product for these very reasons.

Here is a decent little page titled "selecting a glycol for solar thermal applications": http://www.dynalene.com/Articles.asp?ID=283

^^^Worth a quick read if you have a couple minutes (last few paragraphs are the most relevant)

At the end of the day, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using "regular" EG antifreeze in this application. I'm sure they know not to pour it down the drain or let the neighborhood cats have a "refreshing" drink from it when they drain the loop :P

Edit: @capawesome9870 , our PCs are so similar (minus your badass storage setup) :ph34r:8320/M5A99fxPr2.0/270(7870)

I am familiar with Dex-Cool, but that is not what I am talking about. Dex-Cool is still ethylene glycol based just like any other automotive antifreeze (as is its toxicity), it just happens to be orange/red/pink. 

This is the widely available red "RV" propylene glycol I was referring to (Home Depot link): http://www.homedepot.com/p/DOW-South-Win-RV-Antifreeze-with-DOWFROST-147005/202530435

Sorry for the mix-up, I should have been more clear :)

Edit: @capawesome9870 , our PCs are so similar (minus your badass storage setup) :ph34r:8320/M5A99fxPr2.0/270(7870)

ya, the mix up was on me also.  thanks for the clarification

As for my "badass" storage setup i plan on upgrading my cooling to something similar to what linus did but with a car rad and some 1"+ semi flexible hose from lowes. 

i already posted the layout of it on page one so give it a look over (this will take you strait there)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276076-whole-room-water-cooling-part-3/#entry3748733

CPU: AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS 12x Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2 GPU RX480 4GB) Memory 16GB DDR1333 SSD: PNY Prevail 120G + Corsair Force LE 120G (Steam) Bulk storage Stable Bit Drive Pool with 5x 2TB 2x 3TB PSU Corsair 600w Case Rosewill Throne

Linus if you mount it outside won't tere be an issue during rains...since water may completely destroy thos expensive noctua fans

They're waterproof. It's why they're so expensive.

This is one of those things, that I have been thinking of, why not do something along those lines, to make even better cooling, but then again the annoying winter..

Love the video(s) for this build and can not wait for more!

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

yeah but still,wont the lumber kinda rot in rains

They used "green" pressure treated lumber that is resistant to rotting. Up until recently, heavy metals such as copper/chromium/arsenic were used in the process which resulted in a product that was potentially hazardous to the user and the surrounding soil. I never take a saw to that stuff without a mask on, although I imagine the new lumber in the racks at home depot is nothing to worry about compared to the wood products on the market even 10 years ago.

Theres one thing i dont get, they are trying to finance a new office while they are watercooling the old one? it does not make sense to me. Are they gonna operate in both then?

And the lumber they used for the frame will most likely fall apart quicky, just screwing wood together does not work for long, they could have however hired someone to make a frame with sturdy connections for them, INB4 it falls off the roof and Linus cries.

Theres one thing i dont get, they are trying to finance a new office while they are watercooling the old one? it does not make sense to me. Are they gonna operate in both then?

And the lumber they used for the frame will most likely fall apart quicky, just screwing wood together does not work for long, they could have however hired someone to make a frame with sturdy connections for them, INB4 it falls off the roof and Linus cries.

They did this crap back in August before they decided to get a new office, they're just now uploading the videos.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

They did this crap back in August before they decided to get a new office, they're just now uploading the videos.

Sooooo where is part 4 then?

Part 4 is out. The reason I was so eager to see the end was I had done something simular back in the day. I just wanted to see how there concept worked out for them.

Im glad I did mine diffrent, had some problems but not as many as they did.