Xbox Dev: 30fps isn't enough.

CGurrell

Your comments about me working for MS or being some MS shill are so far off base its pathetic. Nor is your pathetic need to dig through my "incriminating post history" to try and debate me, which by the way is not an effective debate tactic. Its worthless, in fact. 

I thought the mods had already warned you to cut out this kind of behaviour and cool your jets. I've been relatively polite before but you insist on dragging me into every little spat to support your crockpot theories and demeaning tone. Have you not had enough of this entire site hating your very presence in most threads? Cause thats who you are not only to several dozen members of this site but also the moderators.

You figure out what you want to do. 

Literally same people in every MS thread up voting each other and defending the company. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck...

But anyways. MS has often resorted to outright lies and misinformation about FPS/resolution which I have posted. So THAT is why we could care less what MS has to say on the matter...ever. These are the same clowns who claimed you needed a 60 inch TV to see the difference from 720p to 1080p which everyone here with a HDMI cord knows is absolute BS unless you are gaming from another room...

Also you do not need 20/15 vision to see the difference lol. But whatever. Have fun telling people they should listen to anything MS has to say. You are selling that up is down, and that people are "blindly" criticizing MS here, when they have very valid reasons for not caring about anything MS has to say on the matter, due to past lies and misinformation (some of which I posted).

The only BLIND responses are coming from you and the people up voting each other like they do in any MS thread to defend the company. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Thank you,  yes I am guilty too, Last night I went half nuclear on an article and embarrassingly was 99% wrong.  It's good for the soul to accept when we are wrong.

I have downloaded those PDF's.  I am going away for a couple of weeks so I will take then with me for light reading, cheers.

Or you could just be like me and never be wrong, as everyone on this forum knows.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I've found with my own testing in different games on my 144hz monitor that anywhere above 80-90fps looks pretty much butter-smooth.

If I'm getting less fps than that I will lower the graphics settings and if I'm getting more I will crank them up without fear of losing smoothness untill it drops below 80-90fps.

So 83hz seems about right to me, although I'm not sure about the reasoning this guy has behind it.

i like turtles

I've found with my own testing in different games on my 144hz monitor that anywhere above 80-90fps looks pretty much butter-smooth.

If I'm getting less fps than that I will lower the graphics settings and if I'm getting more I will crank them up without fear of losing smoothness untill it drops below 80-90fps.

So 83hz seems about right to me, although I'm not sure about the reasoning this guy has behind it.

Theres a lot of science behind how they come up with the numbers they come up, like all science the numbers can vary wildly for no real reason (at least to me, my field isn't neurology related so its as witchcraft to me as it is to everyone else here)

Your eye can "see" a single photon. You can fire singular protons all day long, your eye 'knows' they are there. But the nervous system doesn't give a damn if the action potential isn't there. So you need successive "hits" in a very short order of time to cause anything to occur. Your cells have a hard limit on how fast they can respond, but that doesn't mean the limit is immovable. You'll often see that fighter pilots can go between 200-300fps. Their training and response times depend on them interpreting movement a hell of a lot better than the "pro gamer" at a CSS tournament. To them, being able to differentiate between 2 frames, one involving no dot in the sky and the other involving a dot (dot = enemy missile, plane, goddamn weather balloon) is a valued ability to have. But like a lot of things, you train to get to that level of detection. 

Here is some more reading on how that all works. Like I said before, its a start. If you're interested on this, there are so many academic sources to read up from and form your own opinions on the matter. Don't take anyones word in this thread, explore yourself. 

The human eye is very sensitive but can we see a single photon? The answer is that the sensors in the retina can respond to a single photon. However, neural filters only allow a signal to pass to the brain to trigger a conscious response when at least about five to nine arrive within less than 100 ms.

It is possible to test our visual sensitivity by using a very low level light source in a dark room. The experiment was first done successfully by Hecht, Schlaer and Pirenne in 1942. They concluded that the rods can respond to a single photon during scotopic vision.

In their experiment they allowed human subjects to have 30 minutes to get used to the dark. They positioned a controlled light source 20 degrees to the left of the point on which the subject's eyes were fixed, so that the light would fall on the region of the retina with the highest concentration of rods. The light source was a disk that subtended an angle of 10 minutes of arc and emitted a faint flash of 1 millisecond to avoid too much spatial or temporal spreading of the light. The wavelength used was about 510 nm (green light). The subjects were asked to respond "yes" or "no" to say whether or not they thought they had seen a flash. The light was gradually reduced in intensity until the subjects could only guess the answer.

They found that about 90 photons had to enter the eye for a 60% success rate in responding. Since only about 10% of photons arriving at the eye actually reach the retina, this means that about 9 photons were actually required at the receptors. Since the photons would have been spread over about 350 rods, the experimenters were able to conclude statistically that the rods must be responding to single photons, even if the subjects were not able to see such photons when they arrived too infrequently.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Quantum/see_a_photon.html

Also I'm gonna have my mods train through here and throw out warning points like candy canes

There are a number of people in this thread that need to grow the hell up and stop bickering like fourth graders over which one likes a girl or not. Either figure out how to have a calm and calculated debate or keep fighting and get banned

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

Discussions and debates are more than welcome... feel free to fight even, but remember... mods hit harder ;)

Also I'm gonna have my mods train through here and throw out warning points like candy canes

There are a number of people in this thread that need to grow the hell up and stop bickering like fourth graders over which one likes a girl or not. Either figure out how to have a calm and calculated debate or keep fighting and get banned

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

Discussions and debates are more than welcome... feel free to fight even, but remember... mods hit harder ;)

ilu Slick

Unluckily for Microsoft, the more fps they want to squeeze out, the shittier the games will look on Xbox One.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

heavy-sigh-gif-i1.gif

(I know you're playing around btw... i've just been looking for an excuse to use this gif because I love Jim)

I get a Slick meme! I WIN DA INTERWEBZ!!!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Your substituted keyboards for baseball bats don't scare me ;)

Besides, I hear all you mods hit like gurlz.

@Slick If you can hit like this guy, then MAYBE I can be a bit scared. (Watch the vid. It's totally worth it. Around 1:05 it goes down)

http://nypost.com/2014/11/13/man-whose-epic-slap-went-viral-ive-never-slapped-anyone-before/