Hack Attack causes massive damage

Angelus2141

Source: BBC News 

My worry here is how long before digital affecting physical attacks made by hackers starts to target the individual. I dont mean to give any ideas and I hope they never read this but how long before someone gets a call saying "we've hacked your relatives life support systems in the hospital give us money or we turn it off" 

"Benjamin Sonntag, a software developer and digital rights activist, told Reuters: "We do not expect a nuclear power plant or steel plant to be connected to the internet."

i know the internet of things is generally speaking a good idea in the advancement of human kind but aren't there certain things that just shouldn't be connected?

your thoughts?

Source: BBC News 

My worry here is how long before digital affecting physical attacks made by hackers starts to target the individual. I dont mean to give any ideas and I hope they never read this but how long before someone gets a call saying "we've hacked your relatives life support systems in the hospital give us money or we turn it off" 

"Benjamin Sonntag, a software developer and digital rights activist, told Reuters: "We do not expect a nuclear power plant or steel plant to be connected to the internet."

i know the internet of things is generally speaking a good idea in the advancement of human kind but aren't there certain things that just shouldn't be connected?

your thoughts?

bet it was some stupid teens doing it for the lolz

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Thought it said Heart attack at first. Close enough.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

well the article says there skill in using general IT and Admin for the plant was "evident" whatever that means but even if it was teens that just makes it worse. Imagine what someone with nefarious motives could do

They should probably train their employees more about ''how to act on the internet''. As this has nothing to do with a real hack, its just basic phishing.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

I am surprised this is news given people have been talking about security bugs in power plants, steel works and oil rigs for years now.  I remember an article from about 5 years ago that detailed several nuclear plants connected to the net without any real security.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I am surprised this is news given people have been talking about security bugs in power plants, steel works and oil rigs for years now. I remember an article from about 5 years ago that detailed several nuclear plants connected to the net without any real security.

Funny how something as potentially dangerous as that is that slow to be noticed by more people.

Clearly Ubisoft's screw ups and making fun of <brand> is more important here.

But I've one doubt... why the fuck do they need to be connected to the internet?

So, when there's a meltdown it'll tweet out, "Run."  In all honesty, if it were connected to the web they'd like have it connected by fiber to a real-time data center to monitor things both remotely and on site collecting data on nuclear reactors.  Why it would be connected to the -entire- net is beyond me, same thing for steel works or oil rigs.  Unless employee breaks are for CS;GO and Dota match's.  *Imagines Valve lunch time*

But I've one doubt... why the fuck do they need to be connected to the internet?

Because the internet is the cheapest, easiest, already established network that can connect any number of devices, workshops, sensors remote tools offices and control rooms together.  All can be monitored remotely by any supervisor, technician or manager from anywhere in the world.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Your HR and marketing deps need net access. They will be most likely connected to the intranet. You will have options of remote workers. You will have bored engineers overseeing the process for thousends of hours before they actively need to do something more than surfing net and playong hearthstone.... You could have done whithou those things and be extremely inefficient, of course

at first i read heart attack causes massive damage and i was like whaat

ya im not the only one

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

"attackers used booby-trapped emails to steal logins that gave them access to the mill's control systems."

That is hardly what i would call hacking.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I dont mean to give any ideas and I hope they never read this but how long before someone gets a call saying "we've hacked your relatives life support systems in the hospital give us money or we turn it off" 

I'd reply sure turn it off and save me the hassle.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |