Spot the differences: Gigabyte motherboard revisions present markedly different test results

Linemi

Very superficial thinking here guys.

Reducing the number of power phases does not equal reducing performance.  If  2 better designed power channels can provide the same performance as 3 of the last revisions, then why spend more to get the same?

It is indeed an improvement. 

Would you consider it an upgrade if they released a new board with 2 PCIe's each capped at 8x instead of one at 16x?  Different does not automatically equate to misrepresented.

the also use lower quality materials

The text has a different layout

Case closed.

Also this is a B series board. Gigabyte where probably hoping no one would notice. If they had taken the same off a Z series board that would be a cause for concern .

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

If they use the same advertising material, for example claiming that it still has a dual bios then no it isn't legal. Even if they technically don't use the same material a court may still find them guilty of attempting to mislead consumers. What firms put in their disclaimers and terms & conditions doesn't supercede the law.

I don't know about that. If they say they can make changes in the fineprint they can. Regardless of the advertising on previous revisions.

Interested in Business and Technology

Yeah... it's the precedent that this sets for the company in general that is causing concern; if they are doing this on their low-end products, imagine if they started doing this with their high end motherboards... or even their GPU's.  IF there is no specified revision number associated with the changes then that's just messed up entirely.  Changes that fundamental I feel deserve a revision change to the product to let customers know what it is they're getting themselves into.  I still hold they that don't HAVE to say anything about the intent to MAKE the change, but once the change has been MADE, they really should change the revision number of the product.  That sort of peace of mind would go a long way with satisfying their customer base.

I don't know about that. If they say they can make changes in the fineprint they can. Regardless of the advertising on previous revisions.

Except the legalese fineprint bullshit can get a company in really hot water with a country, be taken to court and in worst case scenarios outright BANNED from being allowed to have their products sold in that country for breaking Consumer Laws and trying to fuck over the end users.

In their legalese bullshit, Microsoft tries to link each CD Key of their software (primarily Windows) to just ONE unique system build and force you to re-authenticate or even outright buy a new key each time you change something like a dead CPU or hard drive. This does NOT fly under Australian Consumer Laws and thus that portion and similar parts of their EULA are null-and-void from application here as they have to admit with the "subject to state and country laws" disclaimer right at the end of that legalese fineprint.

The law in question is mainly that software makers can't lock down a program's key to one unique build of hardware if they didn't produce the system with said software themselves, but only outsource the installation of their software to hardware vendors. Apple get around this as though they provide physical installation media of OSX (particularly 10.6) primarily for rebuild purposes, if you buy a branded Apple Macintosh computer THEY are the ones who buy the parts, put them together and put THEIR OS and software on it so they don't technically fall foul of the law that stops Microsoft from locking down 1 CD key to 1 system config pre-copy of the OS sold as Microsoft only provides the software for sale and lets other companies like ASUS, Acer & Dell put together the systems that Windows is loaded on.

Very superficial thinking here guys.

Reducing the number of power phases does not equal reducing performance. If 2 better designed power channels can provide the same performance as 3 of the last revisions, then why spend more to get the same?

It is indeed an improvement.

Would you consider it an upgrade if they released a new board with 2 PCIe's each capped at 8x instead of one at 16x? Different does not automatically equate to misrepresented.

In the specific case, all the power phases are worse than the old ones, get up to 120C (old ones got to 80), and there is one less.

Just saying

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

For me the big issue is that they send out review samples, sell a few boards and THEN bring out a revision within a few weeks, that is just downright dishonest. We all I would assume, check out reviews of a board before we buy? Those reviews will almost always be on the 1.0 revision and I for one, naively, assumed that revisions are to fix problems, not cut costs. So a 1.1 or v2 board should be BETTER not worse. And putting these changes  down in the small print, things that would significantly impact performance amd would definitely impact any decision I made whilst purchasing is not a good excuse or a particularly honest practice.

oh and to all those who say "duh, why are you buying such cheap boards they suck blah blah blah" there are doxens of reasons why you would want to purchase boards at this end. Not every pcuser is a member of the MasterRace and needs or wants a dogs bollocks top end system. Would you seriously match a $100 CPU with a $300 board? really? Ive built plenty of systems for people on very low budgets who just need a machine that can browse the web, skype and email... 

Serves anyone who bought GigaByte! I could care less as I have never ever even considered that brand! Anyone who has well there you go another reason not to!

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Serves anyone who bought GigaByte! I could care less as I have never ever even considered that brand! Anyone who has well there you go another reason not to!

Gigabyte boards are actually super solid. And while not great, they have this thing called RMA and warranty service, something that ASUS doesn't know the definition of. When I RMA'd my ASUS motherboard, not only it took over 1 month for them to send me a replacement one... but they sent me someone else board, complete with massive amount of scratches on the PCB around screw holes, and massive amount of dust. The second Ethernet didn't work. After numerous message on their answering machine, I finally had someone call me back, and say that they don't cover the motherboard, as I BROKE IT, because they "certify, and deeply test" they replacements before shipping.

Think I was a special case? Nope. 2 of my friends, had similar experiences. Where one of them his board didn't work anymore, and had to fight for a week with them to get ASUS accept a new RMA "by exception", oh so they claim, and it ended up like the first one, where it didn't work. He was so pissed off, he literally smashed the motherboard in half, went to a local computer store and bought what they had.

Anyway, when I got my first Gigabyte board, it screamed quality everywhere. The manual was FULL all in English. Just in the recent years ASUS have been doing this. But Gigabyte were doing this first. Every option in the BIOS is explained. Everything explained. Drivers where easy to find and download on their website as well, if you want to get them there, and server speed is nice and fine.

Sorry, but I am done with ASUS. At least in Canada.

--Gigabit Advert---

I've yet to see one or have to deal with them. ASUS, SuperMicro, Intel, nothing has come close to those so why bother, then again we're talking Workstation level boards not Micro, Mini, stuff.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

as I said  in 99% cases...With Asus boards you can get mistake :). Gigabyte did something similar in 775 LGA era also.

CPU collection: i7-6700K, 2x-i7-5960x, i7-3930K, i7-4770K, i7-3770K, i7-2600K, i7-980X  AMD PII X4 965 BE C2, x4 965 BE C3, X4 970 BE, x4 975 BE, x4 980 BE, X6 1090T BE, x6 1100T BE, FX-8120 95W, FX-8120 12W, FX-8150, FX-4300, FX-6300, FX-8300, FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370E, FX-8370, FX-9370, FX-9590, A8-3870K, A8-5600K, A10-6800B, A10-6800K, A10-7700K, A10-7850K, A10-7870K, Athlon x4 860K, Athlon 5150. RIIIE, RIVE, RVE, Maximus5Extreme, M6F, M6E, M7H, C4F, C4E, C5F, C5F-Z, Crossblade Ranger

I spotted that the board on the right is missing some stuff. Whether it is due to technology improvement or lack of features, i dont know as i dont have any further interesrvin the topic.

Just wanted to play the game for second time today (1st was Corsair Carbide 100R vs 200R)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

• 1 month later...

We build all of the systems at the college where I work using Gigabyte boards. I think we've so far had 1 failure out of 300 machines rolled out over the course of the 2 or 3 years that they started using them.

Hence why my PC at home? Gigabyte.

yeah sometimes the changes are not as insignificant as Gigabyte would try to lead customers to believe.  It seems like there's alot of BS that company is doing since last year to new motherboards, why i suppose greed?  who can say for sure.  What is for sure is people are being screwed around unless you spend $100's on a new motherboard.  Its good of you guys to expose this stuff, it takes some knowledge and understanding to really get to grips with whats being nerfed off various boards and how that affects things but it seems some of the posters on this thread know their stuff.  I for one will never be buying Gigabyte again and this sort of industry smoke and mirrors tricks they are playing at will only hurt them in the long run.