AMD's Omega Driver Decreased 3Dmark performance and increase Game FPS

Hatsune Miku 「 」

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_14.12_Performance/4.html

As listed in the source, the new Omega driver apparently lowers 3Dmark 11 performance.

Offering a slight performance drop around 100 points from the score.

This happens to be the case with all 3Dmark benchmarks and varying resolutions.

Only the sky diver benchmark had a slight increase in score.

Performance is lowered in 1080, 1440, 2160p resolutions.

GAME TESTS HERE: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_14.12_Performance/5.html

Considerable improvements in many games in 1080, 1440 and 2160p resolutions. Test setup was a r9 290 gpu.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

lol I knew these new revolutionary "omega" AMD drivers were still going to have issues.

Soon we will probably start to see more black screen issues, or other performance degradation, or just outright not-working systems because of these AMD drivers.

It was too good to be true.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Isn't it still in Beta? I mean, has it actually even been officially anounced yet, or still just that leak that let us know what it was?

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Unfinished driver has flaws.  Shocking.

I'm not even sure that 100 points in 3DM even really counts as that.  Does anyone care about it if game performance isn't affected?  And even if game performance mirrored that loss it would be a loss of what, 1fps?  Downright nightmare.

But did game preformance go up?

from the gaming tests on that page, two fps.

I buy a GPU for synthetic benchmarks...oh wait a sec.

I do ;)

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

I buy a GPU for synthetic benchmarks...oh wait a sec.

I run synthetics benchmark 8 hours a day on my PC so that when friends come to visit me they can be like .. OH.. WAIT?! YOU GOT 5600 points in Fire Strike? Awesome!

Then when they leave my home I feel a big satisfaction and go on the forums and try to throw it into peoples face.

Thats how it should be right?

Unfinished driver has flaws.  Shocking.

I'm not even sure that 100 points in 3DM even really counts as that.  Does anyone care about it if game performance isn't affected?  And even if game performance mirrored that loss it would be a loss of what, 1fps?  Downright nightmare.

1 fps to 0 fps is a big difference mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

Oooh, TPU is reporting smoother experience due to better frame pacing?

I'll have to try this. Can't wait to see/read about PCPer's experience with this!

Too bad I might be going green this Christmas, but I'll hang onto my 7870 for playing around with.

You people are seriously complaining about a small decrease in a benchmark and don't care about the increase in game performance.

You guys are really stupid sometimes.

+1

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

No one's really complaining, synthetics went slightly down, gaming performance went up considerably 15-20% in a number of titles including Ryse Son of Rome, Bioshock Infinite, Batman Arkham Origins, Rome 2 Total War, Grid 2, CoD Ghosts and Sniper Elite 3.

You people are seriously complaining about a small decrease in a benchmark and don't care about the increase in game performance.

But benchmarks are for enthusiasts who want the best...

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

This is bullshit, all those hypes and i cant even get a performance increase in my favorite game Firestrike.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

No one's really complaining, synthetics went slightly down, gaming performance went up considerably 15-20% in a number of titles including Ryse Son of Rome, Bioshock Infinite, Batman Arkham Origins, Rome 2 Total War, Grid 2, CoD Ghosts and Sniper Elite 3.

The only one of these i have is Grid 2 which is incredibly easy to run anyway even my AMD HTPC with a 4gb 270x run it maxed out at 1080p with over 100fps at all times haha. I care more about a stability increase as I was running beta drivers then I do any drop in benchmarks or mild increase in games that were already easy to run. No noticeable performance gains in Far Cry 4(only thing I've run since updating) Also the 3d mark scores for my all AMD HTPC seem to be up about 500 points over the scores 2-3 days ago.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Has anyone with crossfire played Battlefield 4 after the update ?

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

You say "you people" but I only saw one person legitimately complain about this.

I know what you mean though, the shitposting/hate-mongering is strong in most threads

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

I run synthetics benchmark 8 hours a day on my PC so that when friends come to visit me they can be like .. OH.. WAIT?! YOU GOT 5600 points in Fire Strike? Awesome!

Then when they leave my home I feel a big satisfaction and go on the forums and try to throw it into peoples face.

Thats how it should be right?

In the spirit on your post...

I throw your 5,600 FS score back at you and replace it with my 12,000 FS score :P

Seriously though who cares if 3D Mark scores less if game performance goes up?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I've actually had quite a noticeable difference in image smoothness on some games. No complaints here.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

I don't know who did these benches but my experience is totally different.

I kept my I7 4770K at stock, RAM is on XMP with manual timings (as for some reason it defaults to 2T instead of 1T), also running 2 x MSI R9 280X Gaming 3Gs in a 16x/16x Xfire config.

Catalyst 14.11.2 BETA.

For this test i had my GPUs OCed from 1020Mhz Core, 1500Mhz RAM to 1125 Mhz Core, 1600Mhz RAM.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3237996 - Result: 12168

Catalyst 14.12 Omega

For this test my GPU OC reset or didn't apply so was actually running at stock.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3422883 - Result: 12335

Thats right folks, i got 200 more points in 3D Mark with a lower clock spped on both the GPU and vRAM. Am going to figure out whats wrong with my OC then re run the test with Omega and OCed GPUs.

EDIT

LOL, got less points with my GPU OC working?

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3422955 - Result: 12289

Now onto AC Unity :P

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

At the moment they won't be spending money on AMD anyway...

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

And enthusiasts who want the best should really know that a 100pt difference in a 3D Mark Firestrike score isn't really basis to choose 1 GPU over another.

This may matter to benchmarkers and overclockers who are competing for epeen on hwbot, not gamers.

If 290X was 100 points faster than GTX970, and they were both the same price. Almost everyone would buy 970 still-why? Because of the other reasons to choose a GPU.