Insurance Companies Reject Development Team Because of In-Game Violence

Mattk50

Founder of indie development team, Serellan and design director on Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Christian Allen, released a tweet stating that his company was recently rejected for insurance due to the "violent nature of the games" they are producing. The full email Allen received was displayed in the tweet and is re-posted below:

"I am responding to your email dated November 12th and to your voicemail message this morning. We have made some phone calls and, unfortunately we do not have a market that will offer a premium proposal for your operations. This is due to the violent nature of the games you are producing."

As the Serellan is still fairly new, they have to date only released one title; a tactical first person shooter called Takedown: Red Sabre. While due to the nature of the genre the game does contain violence, it is no more violent than your average FPS and contains little gore.

The news that insurance companies are refusing to insure development teams based on the content of their games comes at a time when Target and Kmart Australia, as well as the Warehouse Group in New Zealand removed the popular title Grand Theft Auto V from their shelves due to the violence against women the game portrays. The Women’s Front in Norway has initiated a similar proposal to get the game removed from stores, though so far none have agreed.

http://techraptor.net/content/insurance-company-rejects-development-team-game-violence

As this is insurance that covers lawsuits, it makes sense that they'd end up being denied coverage by some providers, or even have their rates raised just because thats how insurance companies work (gotta dump capitalism for that i suppose). But the message they got from the provider is idiotic nonsense, it has nothing to do with violence.

More interestingly, this is a good example of how dumb controversy kicked up by people who don't have a clue can have wide reaching damage.

My reaction 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Is this even a thing. I don't know a lot about insurance but this sounds like the stupidest reason to reject them.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Yeah, a store might be able to decide not to carry your game but that's pretty fucking far away from having a case for a lawsuit: This it's just a dick move to avoid bad image and press, again reverting back to the "Ban this sick filth!" attitude we thought we where past. Once again: Thanks Feminists!

-------

Current Rig

-------

Goddamnit.

I just.... I .....

Majin_Vegeta_FE_gif.gif

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Goddamnit.

I just.... I .....

Majin_Vegeta_FE_gif.gif

"Now see son that show is too violent. Ban it I say. Ban it. We should ban everything we don't like. "

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

"Now see son that show is too violent. Ban it I say. Ban it. We should ban everything we don't like. "

I will destroy anyone who attempts such a thing. Considering that's one of the few anime's I like.

I don't get it in school they teach you about wars and very deal and violent stuff why don't they ban that??

Also movies.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

WATCHING/PLAYING CONTACT SPORTS 'COULD' PROMOTE VIOLENT TENDENCIES

BANNED!

There is always a small minority, screwing over the rest of the world via BS tactics and loopholes and / or stupidity.

The fact it's this far reaching... astounds me.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The Women’s Front in Norway has initiated a similar proposal to get the game removed from stores, though so far none have agreed.

Political correctness is going to end humanity. 

Political correctness is going to end humanity. 

We need to stop calling it that and call it what it really is.

Censorship.

And it only works if you are willing to allow yourself to be censored. Rather than pointing out their bullshit straw man arguments.