Is LinusTechTips Moving Away from affordable products?

imthewalrus

I ask this for various reasons, starting mainly because i have a really limited budget however I still have the need to upgrade my computer every 3 years to play some games. Unfortunately the last "affordable product" that I saw them review was the NZXT S340 case, however aside from that and the Handy Tech under $100 episodes, I still don't see reviews for affordable graphics cards, processors, motherboards, or even peripherals. I try to bring this to attention not to criticize the channel, but to just serve as a reminder that affordable gamers still exist. Yes, Linus did have an affordable PC on the holiday buyers guide, but I don't think he even reviewed one of the products of the cheap build.

Of course I might be wrong, so I will just leave this to the community. Do you think LinusTechTips is moving away from affordable products? 

Affordable for the typical or target audience of LTT?  I don't know what that would be for LTT, but it'd be useful to know.

Affordable meaning, the best bang for your buck. For example GTX 970s, the cheap z97 motherboards from MSI or AsRock, cheap AIOs, etc... 

What are you thinking of in particular? Low end cases around the $50 budget? Because hundreds exists. Cheap motherboards with an overclockable chip set? Those too are frequent. Linus has limited time and resources to review items that aren't either handed to him or are low end enough that the same product exists in a different name and color. Not only but if a company wants to have Linus review their products, they only want to send him the top notch stuff.

While yes, it would be neat to have Linus review more items for users on a budget, we might need another Linus or two to do so.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

People are usually not interested in a video about some cheap PC part, especially when there are thousands to choose from and there is nothing special about them.

Do you want linus to review every $30 PSU or $80 GPU?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think it all depends on how you, the viewer, spend your money. I feel like the targeted audience for LTT videos are enthusiasts who share the same passion for tech that Linus himself holds. Enthusiasts are much more likely to spend the extra cash on those expensive components that Linus reviews.

A lot of people review budget products, so it's interesting to watch Linus review the more extravagant options.

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Affordable for the typical or target audience of LTT?  I don't know what that would be for LTT, but it'd be useful to know.

Most of the people on this forum don't have an income by themselves as they are too young...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

LTT Never really was about the cheap stuff...

We go to their videos to see what we cant afford and build our dreams!

Actually, they still did reviews on graphics cards such as the HD 7950, which were actually in depth reviews with benchmarks and it was considered a "bang for your buck" card.

Actually, they still did reviews on graphics cards such as the HD 7950, which were actually in depth reviews with benchmarks and it was considered a "bang for your buck" card.

Thats sort of what I meant. They wont really do anything too cheap. Cause it usually sucks or brings more to the tablet (For more sucking)

Most of the people on this forum don't have an income by themselves as they are too young...

... so Linus only should review parts that his parents gets him?

The problem is, that at the budget there is not such a large variety of choice.

Yes, there are many cases, many motherboards and gpus, but they are usually the same, with small differences, and limited options.

GPUs are easy, there are 100 benchmarks outside, and at the end you are going to get the most expensive/shiny one you can get

Motherboard, every has the same chipset, different colour and or 1 or 2 different option that are listed (talking about budget options)

At budget, there is not much to review, as there is no much difference and to show.

Whereas if you have a big budget, you can plan, you can choose the best option to suit you, as there are genuine differences between options

Difficult to do... But, for example, if you look at a few of the active members that are well-known here, they all seem to be uder 18...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Linus has a specific variety of videos for stuff under $100 so that covers some of it.

Pentium review happened.

S340 review was very solid.

He bounces around at times but I think it covers most of what people care about.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Yeah http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116224-how-old-are-you/

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Yeah, he's reviewing more expensive things but IMO, he's kinda balancing it with the less than $100 products thing.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Linus has a specific variety of videos for stuff under $100 so that covers some of it.

Pentium review happened.

S340 review was very solid.

He bounces around at times but I think it covers most of what people care about.

Pentium was semi-reviewed, It was coupled with the i7-4790k.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Pentium was semi-reviewed, It was coupled with the i7-4790k.

But it was solidly reviewed, was it not? It gave lots of benchmarks and pretty graphs and it satisfied me.

Can you prove or demonstrate that?

Difficult to do... But, for example, if you look at a few of the active members that are well-known here, they all seem to be uder 18...

Being under 18 doesn't mean we have no form of income. I will admit that I do not, but I also know plenty of young members here who have a form of income past their parents.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

To put it simply, they can't move away from something they never solely focused on or focused a majority of their time on.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Affordable meaning, the best bang for your buck. For example GTX 970s, the cheap z97 motherboards from MSI or AsRock, cheap AIOs, etc... 

He reviews the newest things to stay relevant. However over time, the prices will go down and they will become affordable. 

To put it simply, they can't move away from something they never solely focused on or focused a majority of their time on.

But Linus has had a few best bang for your buck videos on motherboards, GPus and even monitors on the past. Honestly, it wasn't until recently that they started reviewing things like expensive gaming chairs.

But Linus has had a few best bang for your buck videos on motherboards, GPus and even monitors on the past. Honestly, it wasn't until recently that they started reviewing things like expensive gaming chairs.

Look at office chairs in general. Cheap ones are like 100 bucks and tend to die fast. 300 dollars is a pretty normal price for a nice chair. 

I used his reviews to learn about performance. and then after they age a little I snipe them off eBay. I just got a R9 290 for 180 bucks. and I am loving it.

Look at office chairs in general. Cheap ones are like 100 bucks and tend to die fast. 300 dollars is a pretty normal price for a nice chair.

My ikea office chair cost me 60 dollars 4 years ago. It's not about just one video, sure there are people that will definitely enjoy that chair but I still feel like some of the mid tier content has been missing lately.