Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer (Not Tech)

SaleemVFX

It is impossible to make a Star Wars trailer look bad. The EA Battlefront trailer looks like they are making the greatest game of all time. We will see about that. The source material is pretty hard to F up in a short.  Looks like this isn't the Thrawn trilogy though (which was fantastic). Oh well. Least it can't be worse than this...

Only reason I am optimistic about the movies is this guy (Lawrence Kasdan) is screenwriting them.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001410/

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) and Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) Silverado (1985). Kasdan is a very talented writer. 

J.J. is a mediocre writer/plot guy imo, so the less he is involved with the plot the better. He is a very talented "visual guy". He also uses REAL SETS which matter quite a bit. Visually the Star Trek reboot was stunning (minus migraine inducing lens flare). If JJ can just let a talented writer do his thing and not take over the plot, and or include dumb characters and lines and stupid crap inserted into the plot to market the crap out of the movies to little kids? The movies have a chance to be good.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

It is impossible to make a Star Wars trailer look bad. The EA Battlefront trailer looks like they are making the greatest game of all time. We will see about that. The source material is pretty hard to F up in a short.  Looks like this isn't the Thrawn trilogy though (which was fantastic). Oh well. Least it can't be worse than this...

Only reason I am optimistic about the movies is this guy (Lawrence Kasdan) is screenwriting them.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001410/

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) and Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) Silverado (1985). Kasdan is a very talented writer. 

J.J. is a mediocre writer/plot guy imo, so the less he is involved with the plot the better. He is a very talented "visual guy". He also uses REAL SETS which matter quite a bit. Visually the Star Trek reboot was stunning (minus migraine inducing lens flare). If JJ can just let a talented writer do his thing and not take over the plot, and or include dumb characters and lines and stupid crap inserted into the plot to market the crap out of the movies to little kids? The movies have a chance to be good.

When i heard that kasdan was involved in a... *Cough*ign*Cough*... Video. All my fears about JJ Lensflare ruining the movie melted away slightly^^ 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

When i heard that kasdan was involved in a... *Cough*ign*Cough*... Video. All my fears about JJ Lensflare ruining the movie melted away slightly^^ 

Yeah I love his writing. Characters are always well defined, the plot is usually smart and LOGICAL (which nothing in the prequels was). I loved Silverado. His kind of writing where he is giving free reign is Empires Strikes Back. ROTJ? The Ewoks were originally supposed to be Wookies and that was supposed ot have been on Kashyyyk not Endor, Of course Lucas wanted to sell toys and market to little kids. So we got Ewoks. ROTJ was not a bad movie, but it was not as good as Empire imo.

Prequels? Lucas went full blown marketing to kids at the cost of plot. Kasdan? I know he can write a good script. Whether the shareholders/Disney and JJ screw it up? We will see. IMO you will sell more toys in the long run and cash in if the movies are good. The latest Batman trilogy should prove that. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Yeah I love his writing. Characters are always well defined, the plot is usually smart and LOGICAL (which nothing in the prequels was). I loved Silverado. His kind of writing where he is giving free reign is Empires Strikes Back. ROTJ? The Ewoks were originally supposed to be Wookies and that was supposed ot have been on Kashyyyk not Endor, Of course Lucas wanted to sell toys and market to little kids. So we got Ewoks. ROTJ was not a bad movie, but it was not as good as Empire imo.

Prequels? Lucas went full blown marketing to kids at the cost of plot. Kasdan? I know he can write a good script. Whether the shareholders/Disney and JJ screw it up? We will see. IMO you will sell more toys in the long run and cash in if the movies are good. The latest Batman trilogy should prove that. 

Speaking of directors

It would've been fun to see tarantino make a star wars movie^^ 

Not a main one. But maybe the Boba Fett spin off  :wub:

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Jar Jar should learn to use the force and become sith.

Of course.. I am dead serious about this!

Its JJ. At the very least it'll have pretty special effects and I'll happily turn my brain off and watch 3 hours of sci-fi glory. 

Its JJ. At the very least it'll have pretty special effects and I'll happily turn my brain off and watch 3 hours of sci-fi glory. 

Found this xD

dvxLAO9.gif

That... Didn't look very good.

It's just a teaser, not the whole movie.

John Boyega as the main character? I honest to God thought it was a parody trailer when I first saw him pop up from the bottom of the screen and that silly sound played to try to scare you.

I haven't watched any of the movies he has been in (although Attack The Block seems decent so I'll check that out) but my first impressions so far is bad. The scene just seemed really goofy.

Again, it's a teaser.

What the hell is up with that football robot? Why!? Cool effect but it reminds me of episode 1-3 where they shoved a bunch of useless stuff into the movie to try to sell more toys.

This really seems like an unnecessary concern. You're forming this as if you're going to be watching the droid for the whole movie and nothing else.

Those X-wings flying above the water looked so cool. Really really cool effect.

Agreed.  I came.

That lightsaber is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. The only thing it will do is increase the risk of harming yourself by 10,000%. I know it's a fantasy but even fantasy settings need clearly defined rules, and this design choice breaks them.

At first I thought it was kinda dumb too, because it would make fighting with it very awkward since you can potentially burn off your own hand or cut yourself somewhere else. However, I think this sith will have a particular fighting style to suit the blade's construction.

I don't recall it being "a dark side and a light". Maybe I misinterpreted the first movies but I always thought it was "the dark side is causing the balance of the force to tip. Get rid of the dark side and there will be balance again". If there is a light and a dark side, and you get rid of the dark side then there will still be unbalance, just in the opposite direction. I always looked at it as balance vs chaos, rather than light vs dark. Then again, it was a very long time since I last watched the movies so maybe I am remembering it wrong and there actually was light vs dark.

I used to give thought to that whole thing too, but it ruined the big picture because you're thinking more about the lore's inconsistencies than the cool story it makes.

No idea who any of these people are. I saw the Millennium Falcon which is cool I guess. It did look a bit different so maybe it wasn't the real Falcon.

It looked different because things change over time.

I will go and see it, and I think it will be a decent movie (can't be worse than episode 1 and 2, right?) but I am certainly not creaming my pants. Judging by the trailer (which is really unfair I know) it seems like maybe a 6/10 movie.

Again, I don't think you can judge this whole movie based on a one minute (give or take) teaser trailer. There's no plot given, there's no main characters named or shown (for what we know), etc.

I'll give them the benefit of a doubt on that. Maybe it's made out of Cortosis or Mandalorian iron? Both of them can withstand a lightsaber hit.

You're entitled to your opinions, so I'm not saying you're wrong at all. Just opening up a discussion.

And someone holding a lightsabre that's hot enough to melt a door two inches from his own face is realistic? xD

To be fair, the lore states that the lightsaber blade is so efficient that there is no thermal energy loss (or so little that it's not noticeable by a human).

I'd also like to see at least ONE vibroblade!

And if you do not get what im referencing PLAY KOTOR!!!!! The first one. Because the second one is meh

aP81vqY.jpg

Hell yes, cortosis weave! Though I highly doubt we'll see any (or many) of those in the movies. The fact that everyone and their mother could get Cortosis Weave vibroswords in KOTOR kind of made fighting non-jedi a little ridiculous. Cortosis is supposed to be incredibly rare after all. That'd be like finding Uranium at every local convenience store.

Either way, I fucking love KOTOR! KOTOR 2 was great too, the game mechanics were improved and smoothed out a lot. The story was pretty decent, but as we all know, the publishers pushed them to release a literally unfinished game, so they rushed the ending like mad. There is a mod that unlocks some of the unfinished levels, and apparently really fleshes out the game.

A guard like that wont help much, if you look one of the likely points of contact with the guard is metal, meaning another lightsaber would likely cut right through at that weak point.

To be fair, it could be made out of Cortosis or Mandalorian Iron (The latter isn't technically lightsaber proof, just incredibly lightsaber resistant).

The rest might be a cortosis-weave from a vibroblade  :P

Yep :P All the EU guys are coming out in force it seems :D

That... Didn't look very good.

John Boyega as the main character? I honest to God thought it was a parody trailer when I first saw him pop up from the bottom of the screen and that silly sound played to try to scare you.

I haven't watched any of the movies he has been in (although Attack The Block seems decent so I'll check that out) but my first impressions so far is bad. The scene just seemed really goofy.

What the hell is up with that football robot? Why!? Cool effect but it reminds me of episode 1-3 where they shoved a bunch of useless stuff into the movie to try to sell more toys.

Those X-wings flying above the water looked so cool. Really really cool effect.

That lightsaber is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. The only thing it will do is increase the risk of harming yourself by 10,000%. I know it's a fantasy but even fantasy settings need clearly defined rules, and this design choice breaks them.

I don't recall it being "a dark side and a light". Maybe I misinterpreted the first movies but I always thought it was "the dark side is causing the balance of the force to tip. Get rid of the dark side and there will be balance again". If there is a light and a dark side, and you get rid of the dark side then there will still be unbalance, just in the opposite direction. I always looked at it as balance vs chaos, rather than light vs dark. Then again, it was a very long time since I last watched the movies so maybe I am remembering it wrong and there actually was light vs dark.

No idea who any of these people are. I saw the Millennium Falcon which is cool I guess. It did look a bit different so maybe it wasn't the real Falcon.

I will go and see it, and I think it will be a decent movie (can't be worse than episode 1 and 2, right?) but I am certainly not creaming my pants. Judging by the trailer (which is really unfair I know) it seems like maybe a 6/10 movie.

I'll give them the benefit of a doubt on that. Maybe it's made out of Cortosis or Mandalorian iron? Both of them can withstand a lightsaber hit.

Well to be fair, it's been 30 in-universe years (more or less) since we've last seen the Falcon, and Han Solo was always a tinkerer. Odds are it IS the Falcon, just with 30 years of mods/upgrades/tweaks. The visual effects in the trailer are stunning. Those X-Wings, fuuuuuck yea!

and a world where swords > guns

it's the falcon, But 30 years later so more mods by Han solo.

Well to be fair only the Jedi are superior with "swords", given their ability to deflect or avoid blaster shots. Though it would be interesting to see how well a Jedi would do against projectile weapons, especially high fire rate ones like a Vulcan Minigun or an FN P-90.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

To be fair, the lore states that the lightsaber blade is so efficient that there is no thermal energy loss (or so little that it's not noticeable by a human).

Hell yes, cortosis weave! Though I highly doubt we'll see any (or many) of those in the movies. The fact that everyone and their mother could get Cortosis Weave vibroswords in KOTOR kind of made fighting non-jedi a little ridiculous. Cortosis is supposed to be incredibly rare after all. That'd be like finding Uranium at every local convenience store.

Either way, I fucking love KOTOR! KOTOR 2 was great too, the game mechanics were improved and smoothed out a lot. The story was pretty decent, but as we all know, the publishers pushed them to release a literally unfinished game, so they rushed the ending like mad. There is a mod that unlocks some of the unfinished levels, and apparently really fleshes out the game.

To be fair, it could be made out of Cortosis or Mandalorian Iron (The latter isn't technically lightsaber proof, just incredibly lightsaber resistant).

Yep :P All the EU guys are coming out in force it seems :D

Well to be fair, it's been 30 in-universe years (more or less) since we've last seen the Falcon, and Han Solo was always a tinkerer. Odds are it IS the Falcon, just with 30 years of mods/upgrades/tweaks. The visual effects in the trailer are stunning. Those X-Wings, fuuuuuck yea!

Well to be fair only the Jedi are superior with "swords", given their ability to deflect or avoid blaster shots. Though it would be interesting to see how well a Jedi would do against projectile weapons, especially high fire rate ones like a Vulcan Minigun or an FN P-90.

qui gon jinn's sword had a pretty wide heat spread when he stabbed that door though.

Yeah.. That was a bit of a problem. (Smuggling of cortosis blades was supposed to be a problem But when everyone and their mothers are wielding them then it gets a bit ridiculous)

I like KOTOR 1 more just because it was my first experience with such an extreme plot twist xD. (And i am a huge fan of the character)

qui gon jinn's sword had a pretty wide heat spread when he stabbed that door though.

Yeah.. That was a bit of a problem. (Smuggling of cortosis blades was supposed to be a problem But when everyone and their mothers are wielding them then it gets a bit ridiculous)

I like KOTOR 1 more just because it was my first experience with such an extreme plot twist xD. (And i am a huge fan of the character)

Yes but Qui-Gon's blade was making direct contact with the blast-door. The heat energy was radiating outward from the middle bit making direct contact. In essence, the superhot metal in the middle was melting the surrounding metal, not the "heat" from the lightsaber (not directly anyway).

The point being that the blade is extremely efficient when not in direct contact. Whether that's actually practical on a physics level? Likely not, but Star Wars has never been particularly spot on with science. Plus they have super advanced technology, so their understanding of physics might make our best scientists look like toddlers :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Eh.

Quote me after it comes out-

That sith in the mask will be luke. I guarantee it.

Not even  a star wars fan, but I feel like I can see this coming.  

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Yes but Qui-Gon's blade was making direct contact with the blast-door. The heat energy was radiating outward from the middle bit making direct contact. In essence, the superhot metal in the middle was melting the surrounding metal, not the "heat" from the lightsaber (not directly anyway).

The point being that the blade is extremely efficient when not in direct contact. Whether that's actually practical on a physics level? Likely not, but Star Wars has never been particularly spot on with science. Plus they have super advanced technology, so their understanding of physics might make our best scientists look like toddlers :P

I just realized that we are discussing different alloys and the heat output of lightsabres. I am expecting a glowing yellow light and a level up sound with this level of nerdyness xD

Again, it's a teaser.

I know, but the first impression is kind of important. That scene didn't get me pumped for some cool action movie. It looked like something fans would make.

This really seems like an unnecessary concern. You're forming this as if you're going to be watching the droid for the whole movie and nothing else.

I am just worried they will fill do the same mistake as with the prequels. Fill all the scenes with stupid and pointless stuff just to sell more merchandise. I am not worried that I will see that droid throughout the entire movie. I am worried I will see a bunch of droids (for example like the football one) in the background in every damn scene. Or even worse, they will be really in-your-face and distracting.

At first I thought it was kinda dumb too, because it would make fighting with it very awkward since you can potentially burn off your own hand or cut yourself somewhere else. However, I think this sith will have a particular fighting style to suit the blade's construction.

Even with a special fighting style it is stupid. It looks cool but it's one step too far into the "now that's just ridiculous" territory for me.

Yeah it's just my opinion. Maybe I am just being negative because of the prequels. I will still go and see it opening day/week though, even if everything that comes out about it sucks.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

--snip--

I am pretty sure that whatever is on the other side of that lake.. It's going to be epic

Watched it 4 times now and its still great.

December 2015 X_X Can't wait

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

so that new lightsaber seems like the most stupid thing ever, those 2 small lights either hurt the user, or ive they tried to use it as a way for when the sword slides down to stop it, it wouldnt even work either because it just cuts trough the grip...

dvbohahp43.jpg

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

so that new lightsaber seems like the most stupid thing ever, those 2 small lights either hurt the user, or ive they tried to use it as a way for when the sword slides down to stop it, it wouldnt even work either because it just cuts trough the grip...

dvbohahp43.jpg

yea exactly. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

that trailer wasn't as informative as I wanted, but it was pretty good.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Damn, I can't wait for this.

2015 is going to be a good year for movies, I can feel it. This and Jurassic World look like they're going to be epic movies.

Seriously, look at this shit

4nKPr-e-RYrx.gif

edit: Also, Disney, if you screw up Star Wars I swear I will hate you more than I do Jar Jar Binks, and I will personally make it my life's goal to come to your house and beat you into a pulp until your face looks like Jabba the Hutt.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May