Intel and some thieves want to ditch passwords altogether

brownninja97

41402_01_intel_mcafee_working_to_elimina

Times are getting tough, the average person has around 18 passwords at one point in time, this includes, stuff at jobs, games, phones, wives and household pets.

So Intel and the some other company want to use biometrics instead, using your finger is quicker, it also means you dont need to remember your passwords or put numbers, special characters or the list a section of the bible in that little box.

On the other hand they are facing issues with how to deal with people who dont have prints anymore; for example people that have a fake hand or have cut their finger also it means the days of wolfing down cheetos while trying to get on different websites is over.

We still have a ways to go before this will become a reality however its interesting, ive tried my fair share of finger print censors but im curious as to how a big company such as intel will tackle this, the biggest issue is the migration between password and finger print, it also means we need new accessories for our computers, phones, laptops etc. The biggest issue is the accuracy, we need to get that on point asap because current finger print sensors are very hit and miss.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/41402/intel-mcafee-working-to-eliminate-passwords-by-using-biometrics/index.html  

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2851892/intel-to-tame-passwords-with-biometric-authentication.html

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

the only password i have that are diffrent are the ones that are old and i never bother changing them

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I am glad i started to use lastpass from long back 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

you have a password for your wife? does it lock her in the closet when she gets annoying? does it include the mute function? :o where can i get this

And can I adapt the mute function to work with children...

Also just No didn't we already have a thread about how police were able to make you unlock your phone via fingerprint but not via password? 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

nope... don't want this... I'd like it as an additional feature, but not as an essential component...

you have a password for your wife? does it lock her in the closet when she gets annoying? does it include the mute function? :o where can i get this

knife hand to the neck,

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

As @Speedbird said I'd rather have my passwords if that means that "they" can't just force access to my stuff. But if brute force forcing becomes easier and easier I can see a use for biometric passwords, but these need to be protected by law

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

The good guys: WTF too much changes. I can't use this

Bad guys: Let's collect some used glasses from restaurants. Might wonder what paypal this fingerprints can open.

Bad idea. Or maybe I'm just too oldschool for this.

If the data is digital it can be stolen. Only the method we use to protect it determines the length of the time it will take for hacker to succeed.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

People on average has 18 passwords?? Wow!

I find that hard to believe. Most people just use the same password everywhere or a simple variation of it.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I started to write a post about how this is a pretty vague announcement when I decided to check the source and realized it wasn't so vague after all.

I imagined it would be about additions to Intel vPro that would offer standardized ways for handling and storing biometric info so that hardware and software makers wanting to integrate biometric authentication could do it more easily.

But actually it's just some yet unreleased piece of software for Windows by McAfee.

Seeing as I'm not a fan of Windows or McAfee (or Intel, really some of the Snowden leaks made many suspect that Intel were rigging their hardware RNGs) I don't expect this to have any meaningful impact other than adding 1 more piece of bloatware you have to remove from a laptop after purchase.

Fingerprints being more secure than a string of characters was busted several years on a Mythbusters ep. A simple piece of paper with a print was enough to fool the scanner. If you can't remember your vital passwords, you kind of deserve to lose your account access. 

This is also discrimination for those without fingers!

I have 3 passwords, but all are ridiculously long (think 64 characters)

41402_01_intel_mcafee_working_to_elimina

Times are getting tough, the average person has around 18 passwords at one point in time, this includes, stuff at jobs, games, phones, wives and household pets.

So Intel and the some other company want to use biometrics instead, using your finger is quicker, it also means you dont need to remember your passwords or put numbers, special characters or the list a section of the bible in that little box.

On the other hand they are facing issues with how to deal with people who dont have prints anymore; for example people that have a fake hand or have cut their finger also it means the days of wolfing down cheetos while trying to get on different websites is over.

We still have a ways to go before this will become a reality however its interesting, ive tried my fair share of finger print censors but im curious as to how a big company such as intel will tackle this, the biggest issue is the migration between password and finger print, it also means we need new accessories for our computers, phones, laptops etc. The biggest issue is the accuracy, we need to get that on point asap because current finger print sensors are very hit and miss.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/41402/intel-mcafee-working-to-eliminate-passwords-by-using-biometrics/index.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2851892/intel-to-tame-passwords-with-biometric-authentication.html

my fitness center uses a finger print to open the gate to the exercising machines

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

I have 3 passwords, but all are ridiculously long (think 64 characters)

64 characters!?

I'm guessing you never log out

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Another benefit of passwords is that you CAN give access to others that you trust. Thinking shared accounts or such, whereas biometrics requires you to be there or at least both members present on first unlock to register a new print... Imagine lending your car to a friend who needs it to move, but you'll be on a business trip, except now he needs you to start the car every time.

The easiest way to make an unbeatable password is to use a simple word, even 4 characters and hash it. There are hash apps even for your phone, so you can use one PW that you can remember and then use hashes. That way you need to remember just 5 chars and what hash you used.

Also, if somebody thins that having 10 chars long PW, but having numbers, alphabet and special characters in it is safer than having a 20 char long PW with only alphabet (Even an some quote you can remember), then youre wrong.

The longer the PW, the better. Basically something like: "mypenisissobigthaticanthavesex" is better than "aki_1a69_ND".

Why? Cos if somebody tries to use brute force, he has to try all combinations unless he knows you use only alphabet, but even then, longer PW has MUUUUCH more combinations.

Long PW is 254,186,582,832,900,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 combinations when using only lowercase letters in brute force! And the shorter one has 56,880,009,227,646,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 combinations with upper case, lover case, numbers and special characters in the brute force test. Thats much less than longer only alphabet PW that would have XYZ more combinations when I add there Upper case, numbers and special characters to compute the possible combinations.

Anyway, as was already told here, MythBusters busted an BioMetric sensor with Latex fingerptint, BallisticGel fingerprint and WAIT FOR IT .... fingerprint printed on paper!

password_strength.png