Dragon Age cancelled in India over gay charachter

Keystone Nyan Cat

Source:

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/cover-story/Game-release-cancelled-over-gay-character/articleshow/45197190.cms

Summary:

EA has withdrawn orders for Dragon Age: Inquisition since one of the characters, Dorian, is gay and is features in sequences involving gay sex. EA is refunding the money (Rs. 3500 for standard, and Rs. 4000 for collectors editions on PC that people paid for.

This has been done to adbide by Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, which criminalizes gay sex. LGBT Rights activist, Adityta Bandopadhyay, believes this may be so because of pressure from the Indian government.

My opinion:

This is rather sad, and I feel that activists should pressure the government to call for this games release. While there is a case in the supereme court to overrule Section 377 which defines gay sex as 'unnatural sexual intercourse', this self censorship is quite bad in my opinion and goes against the very ideals of free speech and expression.

PC in Profile

I never even knew India had such a law... 

use this link also... that one you gave wasn't very useful

http://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-inquisition-wont-release-in-india-due-to-obscenity-laws/

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Sad

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

this is very sad, im not going to get into everything but this is very sad

people can make their own choices 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I am freaking done with this planet. If we ever colonize somewhere else, I will be on the Beta test flight! 

if matthew mcconaughey is on said spaceship you can count me out

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

I am freaking done with this planet. If we ever colonize somewhere else, I will be on the Beta test flight! 

Can't wait for the manned mars mission too.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

No just no, he's so nasty. I would end up eating him if he was on the ship with me.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

No just no, he's so nasty.

every time he talks I lose IQ

chris nolan really did a great job making him not terrible in interstellar but I still couldnt deal

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Source:

bit.ly/1uOs6OZ (Mumbai Mirror)

Summary:

EA has withdrawn orders for Dragon Age: Inquisition since one of the characters, Dorian, is gay and is features in sequences involving gay sex. EA is refunding the money (Rs. 3500 for standard, and Rs. 4000 for collectors editions on PC that people paid for.

This has been done to adbide by Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, which criminalizes gay sex. LGBT Rights activist, Adityta Bandopadhyay, believes this may be so because of pressure from the Indian government.

My opinion:

This is rather sad, and I feel that activists should pressure the government to call for this games release. While there is a case in the supereme court to overrule Section 377 which defines gay sex as 'unnatural sexual intercourse', this self censorship is quite bad in my opinion and goes against the very ideals of free speech and expression.

Hey man just a reminder, bit.ly links are against the CoC. They shouldn't be used normally, so they definitely shouldn't be used as a News Post source link :)

Please post the full original link to your source page.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I thought all dragon age games had gay characters. There must be something more to this.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I thought all dragon age games had gay characters. There must be something more to this.

Homosexual intercourse (sex)  I believe is an option in this game???? Not sure about it though.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Do you know what else is unnatural?

Dragons.

11r7x21.jpg

[on topic]

Good, the more the people miss out on AAA titles the more likely they're to rise up fight the man, and tell the old people to die faster or STFU with their old witch doctor hate(s).

Change is a good thing, not an easy thing.  Either that or...there is going to be a LOT of piracy in and around the India region...(Still mostly the Australians I'll bet :P)

I'd expect this of Putin and Russia but India is the origin of the book of sex and they have laws against certain sexual preferences.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

India added to my "Places i'll never visit" list

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

India added to my "Places i'll never visit" list

not worth it, last time i went india i got food poisoning and died.

2 minutes later my heart was forcefully restarted

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

How about we look at another angle of this

Pehaps a game is made in another country that is viewed as unacceptable in good ol USA, in that case it's not the country criticized, but the game developers for making a disgusting, unacceptable game.

See Hatred, or some lolishit games from Japan.

If you a game that isn't allowed in certain countries it's not that countries fault

While I don't necessarily support India in the issue ,a game being banned isn't grounds for social reform and this is not much more than a shitty dating Sim with ugly characters and bad writing,

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Were the other Dragon Age games or Mass Effect banned in India as well? Same-sex relationships in Bioware games isn't particularly new or anything.

So a game with homosexuality is cancelled because they consider gay sex as a criminal act.

How do they feel about murder? Do they consider that a criminal act? Because last time I checked, GTA V is a pretty popular game over there.

Were the other Dragon Age games or Mass Effect banned in India as well? Same-sex relationships in Bioware games isn't particularly new or anything.

This is what I was getting too. Since other games on the series also had gay sex and they were not banned, there must be more to this story.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

So a game with homosexuality is cancelled because they consider gay sex as a criminal act.

How do they feel about murder? Do they consider that a criminal act? Because last time I checked, GTA V is a pretty popular game over there.

Also demonstrations of affection in public such as kissing are illegal and frowned upon. And it is supported by the majority of the population.

Just a bunch of morons stuck in the medieval times who want to impose their will on others.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

And it is supported by the majority of the population.

Just a bunch of morons stuck in the medieval times who want to impose their will on others.

I don't get this sentence. Is the majority in support of showing affection in public or against it?

I don't get this sentence. Is the majority in support of showing affection in public or against it?

They are for the opposition. They're against acts of affection in public. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

You can look into it, there's been protests not long ago with many people getting arrested.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

@dalekphalm- I'm using IE and the cut and paste is broken on it (already submitted bug), so I've had to paste it into a bitly and type it out myself. I'll download Firefox though and edit it from that later tonight. Thanks for brining that to my attention! :)

@Deletive- What's wrong with using my local newspaper? :P

PC in Profile