Denuvo DRM DESTROYS SSD

ahhming

You take a private message and post it. That says enough.  Also this thread wasn't about SSDs in general.  Look at the original post.  Seriously where are the mods to end this?

1.) It's not anything confidential

2.) You took this thread on a personal level. I take offense to you PMing me.

3.) You PM me a load of crap, which is basically the same crap you are posting here, and you think I'm NOT going to share it? 

4.)It was about DRM destroying SSDs. 

And as I recall 

.. and so another reason for gamers to not use SSDs LOL!  Glad I never bought one of these things and glad I openly speak against these being put in gaming rigs when they really don't add much.

You made it about SSDs. You can't make an assertion and expect never to back it up.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

A )  I think I provided a link showing that it is DRM right from the freaking company that makes it.  They state it is DRM.

B )  Show me that it is not damaging an SSD.

As for any misinformation I haven't provided any.  I just was laughing at the fact that if this is happening to SSDs then it just is another reason a person with a rig for gaming doesn't need one.  

OK my mistake and your right its a DRM, just like SecuROM. 

As for proof that SSD is not raping your SSD:

http://imgur.com/a/aJjZr

http://s8.postimg.org/i0jf3l06d/screen.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2uxh_SIIAAwRLH.png

I saw more on Reddit.

You take a private message and post it. That says enough. Also this thread wasn't about SSDs in general. Look at the original post. Seriously where are the mods to end this?

Ok, let me get a few things out of the way:

1) you have not provided anything for evidence in the discussion. Don't tell people to search through your post history. It is evasive and non-credible.

2) You have a particularly short temper in discussions like this. When the burden of proof is on you, and others have provided their case, you jump to calling them a troll. If you are not capable of maintaining a civil conversation, then it will seriously damage your credibility. People will not even want to talk to you, knowing how easily hostile you can become.

3) Do not call the moderators when you are the one dragging this non-argument with petty insults and evasive wording.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Ok, let me get a few things out of the way:

1)

You made as many points as Devilzzz made about SSDs. xD

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

You made as many points as Devilzzz made about SSDs. xD

Sorry, I was typing on Tapatalk, and my finger slipped onto the 'reply' button. I have added in what I wanted to say.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Sorry, I was typing on Tapatalk, and my finger slipped onto the 'reply' button. I have added in what I wanted to say.

I assumed it was something like that. 

muh specs 

All parts black

b4LIuir.png

LOL! I was wondering what that PM disappeared from the list. Think he figured out how to block me. How childish. He's the one that took it outside of this thread. 

muh specs 

All parts black

-snip- LOL! I was wondering what that PM disappeared from the list. Think he figured out how to block me. How childish. He's the one that took it outside of this thread.

This sadly was not the first time that he pulled stunts like that. He has done the same to me and a few others a wile back, over a sensationalist thread that HE CREATED.

On topic (partially): Hard drives still have their place, but denying that SSDs have benefits in gaming and general use is simply naive. It provides faster loading times, faster boot time, and a more consistent performance. SSDs can simply move data from one block to the next, and nobody can tell the difference. HDDs, by their nature, is essentially an engineered set of magnets and ball bearings. Those can wear down over time, impeding the performance and reliability.

This sadly was not the first time that he pulled stunts like that. He has done the same to me and a few others a wile back, over a sensationalist thread that HE CREATED. On topic (partially): Hard drives still have their place, but denying that SSDs have benefits in gaming and general use is simply naive. It provides faster loading times, faster boot time, and a more consistent performance. SSDs can simply move data from one block to the next, and nobody can tell the difference. HDDs, by their nature, is essentially an engineered set of magnets and ball bearings. Those can wear down over time, impeding the performance and reliability.

The price to storage ratio sets them in that place. It's still a hell of a lot cheaper to make a mirrored array of the same capacity as a non mirrored SSD solution.

Since SSDs are much less failure prone, I think once they are less than twice the price per GB than a mechanical hard drive, meaning you can get a non mirrored SSD solution for less than the mirrored HDD solution, we'll really see HDDs drop off for the most part. And when they are cheaper per drive, bye bye HDD.

muh specs 

All parts black

I hope @DeVilzzz enjoys his hard earned ban, I haven't seen a meltdown like that since Chernobyl. Rational discourse doesn't meant both sides need to agree, only that they aren't nasty and spiteful about how they conduct their debate. You are nasty and spiteful and quite immature for a 41 year old man with a kid.

I expect more out of someone like you. Kids and teens? It's one thing to expect rational thinking from people so young. From elders it's basically expected that you don't knee jerk your reactions and can deal with things in a rational manner. You've done none of those things. You decided to take it personally and ruin it for everyone. You could've just backed away and ignored this thread and moved on, no? Was there any obligation to respond to anything?

You know why the mods didn't take action? Cause it was fine before. Nothing was really hostile. Things were being said that flowed the path of discussion without much deviation. What the hell are you, 12? Calling in the "backup" because someone called you out and instead of acknowledging and moving on you decided to have a temper tantrum and royally shit the bed on the thread? You took this so far off base I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been locked and we haven't all been given a few warnings or two. But you? Damn. You really had to go over the top with this, eh?

I hope @DeViLzzz enjoys his hard earned ban, I haven't seen a meltdown like that since Chernobyl. Rational discourse doesn't meant both sides need to agree, only that they aren't nasty and spiteful about how they conduct their debate. You are nasty and spiteful and quite immature for a 41 year old man with a kid.

I expect more out of someone like you. Kids and teens? It's one thing to expect rational thinking from people so young. From elders it's basically expected that you don't knee jerk your reactions and can deal with things in a rational manner. You've done none of those things. You decided to take it personally and ruin it for everyone. You could've just backed away and ignored this thread and moved on, no? Was there any obligation to respond to anything?

You know why the mods didn't take action? Cause it was fine before. Nothing was really hostile. Things were being said that flowed the path of discussion without much deviation. What the hell are you, 12? Calling in the "backup" because someone called you out and instead of acknowledging and moving on you decided to have a temper tantrum and royally shit the bed on the thread? You took this so far off base I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been locked and we haven't all been given a few warnings or two. But you? Damn. You really had to go over the top with this, eh?

He's not banned, and I would personally ask for him to unbanned if this is all it took knowing what some users have done and stuck around. Waring points maybe. He added me to his ignore list, which blocked me from the PM he sent. It actually took it off of the list entirely, and that's what i got trying to refresh the one I had open. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Well if this whole SSD discussion has finally died down then I would like to know if this is true or if it by now has turned out to be bollocks

I saw more on Reddit.

So now we have a couple of posts that say that Denuvo fucks up your SSD and a few posts that say that it doesn't. Personally I am more likely to believe that it does wear out SSD's fast, but I'd really like some conclusive answers, since I won't buy any game with this DRM till I know for sure that it doesn't unnecessarily fuck with my system even if I install most games on HDD's anyway. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I'd imagine it's not all that great for HDDs as well. Especially for me still with two Sata 2 HDDs, one of which is 7 years old.

I know, I need to get with the times :P

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

I don't mean to piss on your bonfire but...you should really judge a game when it's out, and not when all we know about it is trailers and hype.  I'm excited as anyone about Witcher 3, but don't say it's going to be a good game without getting your hands on it.  You're part of the consumer hype problem if you delude yourself like this.

I totally see your point, I agree with you and I know that I help out with the marketing of witcher3, but having played w1 and w2 at release I just have this feeling that w3 simply can not fail in any possible way:D I mean how awesome is that one fact: the ceo of cd red said that they develope and optimise the witcher 3 for pc primarily and not the other way around like freaking everyone does with big titles like this. Ofcouse this is just for the technical part- how gameplay will be  is to be seen, although again - I have this feeling.. :D

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

I saw more on Reddit.

it isnt DRM its anti tamper.  its designed to stop people reverse engerning the DRM

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Well if this whole SSD discussion has finally died down then I would like to know if this is true or if it by now has turned out to be bollocks

So now we have a couple of posts that say that Denuvo fucks up your SSD and a few posts that say that it doesn't. Personally I am more likely to believe that it does wear out SSD's fast, but I'd really like some conclusive answers, since I won't buy any game with this DRM till I know for sure that it doesn't unnecessarily fuck with my system even if I install most games on HDD's anyway. 

Outside of everything that links back to the one single Russian post I haven't seen any other evidence that it does what those claims say (I've read most of the thread, but might have missed something). Also based on watching Resource Monitor for a bit while playing (well troubleshooting the game trying to get my saves to work then playing a new character for a bit) the game I didn't see it do a single write operation. It's a very small sample size but the claims of it doing huge write operations over the course of a couple hours would have been visible in the 10-15 minutes I was messing around. At this point it is far more logical to say that the evidence points to Denuvo not being the root cause of any potential issues until further evidence is shown or further tests are done. If someone is concerned then they should definitely install it on a mechanical drive but personally I'm not at all worried about it right now.

The price to storage ratio sets them in that place. It's still a hell of a lot cheaper to make a mirrored array of the same capacity as a non mirrored SSD solution.

Since SSDs are much less failure prone, I think once they are less than twice the price per GB than a mechanical hard drive, meaning you can get a non mirrored SSD solution for less than the mirrored HDD solution, we'll really see HDDs drop off for the most part. And when they are cheaper per drive, bye bye HDD.

People seem to forget that this is not technical alienation, but rather a part of evolution of technology. Before HDDs, the consumers did not even have internal storage, and had to rely on tape drives. With the introduction of hard drives, people could store data without having to use floppy discs as a daily driver (hence the end of the boomer generation :P ). It also was not until the proliferation of optical media that floppies eventually became obsolete. Nowadays, we have flash and cloud drives taking over optical, and SSDs starting to take the place that HDDs once had. This is no different.

Here is the thing, if you look at those posts that say it IS damaging your SSD its all from the same source, just a bunch of copy pastes.

Even Total Biscuit said its not true because he was monitoring while playing Dragon Age and didnt see ANYTHING out of the ordinary.

Also

http://www.denuvo.com/#page-4

This is just some conspiracy theorist nonsense, I hate DRM as much as the next guy but this news is just scaring people for no valid reason. I own Dragon age and have not seen any of this in the couple of hours I played it on my SSD and no one else can verify these results either. Its a load of crap.

screen.jpg

Lords of the fallen resource monitors too:

Nothing unusual 

attaching the modifier "conspiracy theorist nonsense" means there needs to be some sort of alleged conspiracy in the first place, use proper words, not the ones that you think make other people sound negative. Shit drm isnt a fucking conspiracy.