Denuvo DRM DESTROYS SSD

ahhming

@DeViLzzz

At my university, the internet is literally faster than my HDD can write.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

So on a gmaing rig you don't ever

-load maps

-browse the internet

-boot the computer

-use windows

-copy files

-record gameplay (you do know recording 60fps gameplay is damn near impossible on a mechanical drive with something like fraps)

-appreciate drives that are less likely to fail

Ok

My last laptop, a 17" MBP, I had a 480GB SSD and a 256GB SSD and I figured why the hell not, lets see what I can do in RAID 0. It was freakishly fast in general tasks like loading up my Lightroom library or manipulating 1GB+ PSD files, copying anything or even being used as a scratch disk while FCP was running on the SAME SSD. It was nuts. My current laptop is only a single SSD, PCIe, and its still spectacularly fast for general stuff much less anything related to gaming. 

It is cost prohibitive for many however. I have a 512GB drive in my current laptop with the older 480GB SSD in a external enclosure for a on the go scratch disk/media storage. Yes, I use it as media storage cause I only need ~250GB of it as scratch disk when I use FCP on the go, the rest of the time its just there doing nothing. Might as well get something out of it. 

SSDs are much more than just gaming, but people like Devil are narrow-minded and only seem to think in terms that relate to gaming. Its quite sad, really. He is trolling for the sake of trolling. The only genuine argument against SSDs right now is cost. They are not cheap for speeds and capacities that most people are used to, not yet. But soon enough. 

Oh, here is a fun fact. 5400rpm drives actually bottleneck in high bitrate video playback! Even my 1TB 7200rpm Seagate drive I had would occasionally cause VLC to stutter when playing back 1080p rips (not even BD50 files mind you). So there is an argument that if you're doing a lot of raw BR rips or engaging in 4K content consumption and creation, you either need some very fast platters in RAID or you need to get into SSDs so that your programs aren't waiting for your HDD to finish its work. There is another reason why some pro grade cameras straight up take SSDs internally, they need that kind of speed just to keep data flowing and not cause bottlenecks. 

But hey, Devil wants to be narrow minded. 

My last laptop, a 17" MBP, I had a 480GB SSD and a 256GB SSD and I figured why the hell not, lets see what I can do in RAID 0. It was freakishly fast in general tasks like loading up my Lightroom library or manipulating 1GB+ PSD files, copying anything or even being used as a scratch disk while FCP was running on the SAME SSD. It was nuts. My current laptop is only a single SSD, PCIe, and its still spectacularly fast for general stuff much less anything related to gaming. 

It is cost prohibitive for many however. I have a 512GB drive in my current laptop with the older 480GB SSD in a external enclosure for a on the go scratch disk/media storage. Yes, I use it as media storage cause I only need ~250GB of it as scratch disk when I use FCP on the go, the rest of the time its just there doing nothing. Might as well get something out of it. 

SSDs are much more than just gaming, but people like Devil are narrow-minded and only seem to think in terms that relate to gaming. Its quite sad, really. He is trolling for the sake of trolling. The only genuine argument against SSDs right now is cost. They are not cheap for speeds and capacities that most people are used to, not yet. But soon enough.

Exactly. I have a laptop with an SSD that has a dual core cpu and a crappy old gpu and I prefer using it over my dual gpu laptop and my desktop sometimes because I have an SSD in it. It's that much better.

And of course it's cost related. On a low end or budget build, of course not. But on any medium to high end system for 60$ at 120GB, no reason not to.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Ahh, another one of those rare occasions when we agree. An SSD is great for small form factor builds since the only thing you really need to mount it is duck tape "I'll put this....here" *sticks it the first place it fits*

By the time your PC finally managed to enter an instance, the SSD players will be halfway to the first boss or bored to death waiting for your slow ass.

I've done this I don't know how many times.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

.. or you could just use a hard drive?

Why should I have to deal with slower loading times because of a game's DRM which harms the people who bought the game legally? Either way my only HDD is 320GB which is fairly full. My next build next year won't even have a hard drive since I want to have a completely silent build at idle.

Reading some of your other replies, I understand you saying that SSDs don't make a huge difference with gaming, but to me they make enough of a difference for me to prefer them. Bottom line since I'm not really arguing HDDs vs SSDs for gaming; I just don't like how the game is harming consumers who legally purchased the game and unknowingly installed it on an SSD.

Just try recording 60 FPS gameplay without something like shadowplay. Unless you are killing your performance by live compression, you'll be unable to do so with a mechanical hard drive. Either way you'll cry every time.

muh specs 

All parts black

Exactly. I have a laptop with an SSD that has a dual core cpu and a crappy old gpu and I prefer using it over my dual gpu laptop and my desktop sometimes because I have an SSD in it. It's that much better.

And of course it's cost related. On a low end or budget build, of course not. But on any medium to high end system for 60$ at 120GB, no reason not to.

On a sub 500 dollar build? A SSD can be a upgrade down the line. But if you're encroaching on 1k, a SSD is a sage thing to buy these days anyways. 256GB drive + TB or 2 in general storage, hell I lean towards RED Drives these days just for sheer storage purposes. 

Arguing against SSDs is like...arguing against the advent of electric cars. Yes, they aren't cost friendly now nor are they mass market material. But whats there is very good, its better in every way, and the costs keep dropping on a yearly basis. The only people truly against it are, and I use this term with no real respect given, idiots who don't like positive change and think certain things are niche products only. 

On a sub 500 dollar build? A SSD can be a upgrade down the line. But if you're encroaching on 1k, a SSD is a sage thing to buy these days anyways. 256GB drive + TB or 2 in general storage, hell I lean towards RED Drives these days just for sheer storage purposes. 

Arguing against SSDs is like...arguing against the advent of electric cars. Yes, they aren't cost friendly now nor are they mass market material. But whats there is very good, its better in every way, and the costs keep dropping on a yearly basis. The only people truly against it are, and I use this term with no real respect given, idiots who don't like positive change and think certain things are niche products only.

"I like to kill my whole user experience of my high end computer to save 60$, which is the cost of one new game" is basically the anti-ssd argument

Hell I don't even load games onto my SSDs when I have them in my gaming systems but I prefer the experience by far

muh specs 

All parts black

Oh, here is a fun fact. 5400rpm drives actually bottleneck in high bitrate video playback! Even my 1TB 7200rpm Seagate drive I had would occasionally cause VLC to stutter when playing back 1080p rips (not even BD50 files mind you). So there is an argument that if you're doing a lot of raw BR rips or engaging in 4K content consumption and creation, you either need some very fast platters in RAID or you need to get into SSDs so that your programs aren't waiting for your HDD to finish its work. There is another reason why some pro grade cameras straight up take SSDs internally, they need that kind of speed just to keep data flowing and not cause bottlenecks. 

I have a 7200 rpm drive in my desktop and I can't even play raw 768p 60fps video from after effects.

I see some stuttering on some playback formats with compressed video at 1080p and up with h.264 in some cases even

This kinda shit is not dependent on initial write times and random writes and whatnot, purely data rate. This is why video editors used to use HDDs in raid 0. It's not just massive file sizes, but the bit rate. I used to run multiple 7200rpm 80gb hard drives in raid 0 even though I had larger drives and that increased my chances of failure for that volume just so I could play back raw video

I mean for fucks sake an SSD even helps you load file thumbnails faster what disadvantage is there?

muh specs 

All parts black

lol, all i know is witcher 3 will be drm free and that is why all of you should buy this game, if not for that reason, then just for the sake of supporting a video game company (cd projekt red) that fucking values their costumers - it kinda is the only one, now that i think about it O.o

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

lol, all i know is witcher 3 will be drm free and that is why all of you should buy this game, if not for that reason, then just for the sake of supporting a video game company (cd projekt red) that fucking values their costumers - it kinda is the only one, now that i think about it O.o

Yah know I've never played witcher.

I keep hearing about it. Should give it a look.

muh specs 

All parts black

Well get a clue.  This thread was about gaming with an SSD.  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

So on a gaming rig you don't ever

-load maps

-browse the internet

-boot the computer

-use windows

-copy files

-record gameplay (you do know recording 60fps gameplay is damn near impossible on a mechanical drive with something like fraps, right?)

-appreciate drives that are less likely to fail

Ok

LOL. Really? This is the best you can do?

muh specs 

All parts black

Simpler solution is to use a hard drive.

I don't have any regular hard drives in my machine... 17tb+ and no regular hard drives lol

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

I'm amazed that someone with a kid can be so stubborn and narrow minded, I hope you don't impart that level of critical thinking upon your progeny...So if this thread was about general use and SSD degradation, would you change your tune and say SSDs are fine for general use? 

I'm amazed that someone with a kid can be so stubborn and narrow minded, I hope you don't impart that level of critical thinking upon your progeny...So if this thread was about general use and SSD degradation, would you change your tune and say SSDs are fine for general use?

Well, I do say until this thread (though I didn't really pay attention to him that much) I considered his tech expertise respectable.

@DeViLzzz

Since you just said "is that all you can do", how about you give reasons HDDs are better, or you shouldn't use SSDs in a gaming PC. Cost and capacity will be the only valid answers I bet you'll give

muh specs 

All parts black

Well...first it needs to be a good game...

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

So at the end, did this end up to be true or not? 

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

There does not appear to be enough evidence to say it's true.

Ah who knows. I see both confirmations and others that say this doesn't happen. I think it's an issue, and it's not intneded to happen, and likely happens to the minority of players for some reason. Maybe itll get fixed. idk

muh specs 

All parts black

Ah who knows. I see both confirmations and others that say this doesn't happen. I think it's an issue, and it's not intneded to happen, and likely happens to the minority of players for some reason. Maybe itll get fixed. idk

The problem is there can be dozens potentially hundreds of reasons for it happen and it might not be at all related to Denuvo. If it was a problem with the DRM itself you'd think it would be a lot more widespread than a few random reports here and there.

I seriously hope Battlefield: Hardline does not use it. Or if it does, they figure out a way to get around that wearing out the storage problem, because If that technology proves successful I'm sure EA will implement it in all of their future games. Battlefield: Hardline, Star Wars: Battlefront, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, the new BioWare IP etc. And those are all games I wanna play. But I'm not sure I'm willing to sacrifice a hard drive.

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

I seriously hope Battlefield: Hardline does not use it. Or if it does, they figure out a way to get around that wearing out the storage problem, because If that technology proves successful I'm sure EA will implement it in all of their future games. Battlefield: Hardline, Star Wars: Battlefront, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, the new BioWare IP etc. And those are all games I wanna play. But I'm not sure I'm willing to sacrifice a hard drive.

I would light my computer on fire if it meant I could play mirrors edge 2 first. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Considering how few people have an issue I wouldn't worry about it. I have DA: Inq on my SSD and I'm not at all worried about Denuvo causing problems. Like many things on the internet right now it's a whole lot of noise for something that may not even be related to thing people are fussing about.

Considering how few people have an issue I wouldn't worry about it. I have DA: Inq on my SSD and I'm not at all worried about Denuvo causing problems. Like many things on the internet right now it's a whole lot of noise for something that may not even be related to thing people are fussing about.

I would really like to be able to replicate this myself somehow. I actually might be able to find the real reason. I have a feeling it has something to do with the authentication process timing out or something idk, but I'm not 100% sure on how Denuvo works, as I've not taken a look at i.

muh specs 

All parts black