Anyone participate on the Massdrop for Cherry MX LED color changers?

LaboonTheWhale

Hey all

So I recently joined my first Massdrop and Boy am I disappointed as hell with this product. 

So what was promised was that you will get a product that changes the color of your LED by putting different colored plastic clips over it. So in my excitement after getting it shipped to me... I tried it on and it doesn't work. Yay... 

That was $20 wasted down the drain. 

Anyone else join this one and get better results? 

I'm guessing that you would have to have white LED's to begin with. But even then the results would be questionable.

I'm guessing that you would have to have white LED's to begin with. But even then the results would be questionable.

That was never stated on Massdrop. :/ hopefully I could speak with someone about that. 

Im sure they work best with white back light...

What are they doing for you?

I mean I figured... but the pictures they advertised were showing a red glow below the keys so I thought maybe hey, Maybe it actually works. but Clearly not. I got purple, green, and blue. With the purple, the red bleeds right through. And blue and green, the lights are completely blocked out and it looks like theres no backlight at all. 

Im sure they work best with white back light...

What are they doing for you?

Correct, they need to be used with white backlight. I think it was @CatCloud that had them on his G710 if my horrible memory serves me correctly. Even when on white the do substantially dim the lighting. I do think its a nice product though but I wish I could order enough of each color for a board in one go. Like say packs of 120 of each color rather than how massdrop has it setup.

Correct, they need to be used with white backlight. I think it was @CatCloud that had them on his G710 if my horrible memory serves me correctly. Even when on white the do substantially dim the lighting. I do think its a nice product though but I wish I could order enough of each color for a board in one go. Like say packs of 120 of each color rather than how massdrop has it setup.

I know I'm awesome and all that but no, I don't have that keyboard.

The picture showed red led back lights so i thought it could work :/ didn't say anything about it needing to be white either

I know I'm awesome and all that but no, I don't have that keyboard.

Well my great memory strikes again. the only other two it would be are @MyInnerFred or @mgsstar

The picture showed red led back lights so i thought it could work :/ didn't say anything about it needing to be white either

Technically you can use them with any color but with greatly reduced effect, Actually the white would work great with already colored leds. you could have always ask, which is why there is the discussion section on massdrop. By the way what did you think would happen when you put a colored piece of plastic over a colored LED?

Well my great memory strikes again. the only other two it would be are @MyInnerFred or @mgsstar

Technically you can use them with any color but with greatly reduced effect, Actually the white would work great with already colored leds. you could have always ask, which is why there is the discussion section on massdrop. By the way what did you think would happen when you put a colored piece of plastic over a colored LED?

I mean. I've never used massdrop before so I didn't know the features that I could do. And the misleading photograph they used to advertise it showing red backlights on the keyboard with the different colors on the keys is what got me. So i guess user error, but slightly misleading advertising as well. So I guess their marketers did their job right. 

I've got a Rosewill Cherry MX Brown keyboard with blue LED lighting. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I've got a Rosewill Cherry MX Brown keyboard with blue LED lighting.

so now were down to @mgsstar which would actually have been more likely based on CS game time.

so now were down to @mgsstar which would actually have been more likely based on CS game time.

I have the LED color changers and it does make it dimmer as you can see in the picture here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/52-mechanical-keyboard-club/page-110#entry2173743

the q,e,t,r,p keys are technically pink but my camera sucks so it looks like white. The F keys have no led color changers on them while the letters and function keys have so it gives sort of a comparison. I'll try to get another picture of the full keyboard with full LED color changers and i'll update this post. The G710+ has white backlight and i've also seen some people use blue leds but can't find the link currently. Haven't seen anyone who used red leds for this though

EDIT: Found the picture with blue leds and using the color changers: http://i.imgur.com/Jrok3uE.jpg

post-766-0-31011200-1416770764_thumb.png

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer