How many watts do I need...

SeeFights

Hi guys quick and simple question really, "How many watts do I need?"

The current amount of watts I'm using is an unbranded 450 watt one, just some help of how much I would need thanks.

I'm currently rocking:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4Ghz

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX r2.0

GPU: Nvidia 8500 GT (Upgrading Soon to a R9 270x Gigabyte 4Gb OC edition)

R.A.M: 2x4Gb Corsair Vengance @ 1866Mhz

DVD-RW/CD Rom

1TB WD Green @ 7200

Sandisk ReadyCache 32Gb

Don't get the 4GB version of the 270x, it's ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS!!!!! A decent 80+ 500 Watt would be perfect.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Don't get the 4GB version of the 270x, it's ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS!!!!! A decent 80+ 500 Watt would be perfect.

Yeah i now its just that i like Priety over Performance, like in Shadow of Mordor

Come on, there's a sticky

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/199255-how-many-watts-do-i-need-check-here/

With a single 270X, I'd suggest a 450W Rosewill Capstone

Because you suggested a 450 watt power supply, is there any point getting another 450 watt power supply as seems as i already have one?

Because you suggested a 450 watt power supply, is there any point getting another 450 watt power supply as seems as i already have one?

The point is to get a higher quality one, not an unbranded PSU. 

An unbranded 450W might have a sticker that says 450W, but in reality it might only be able to put out 250W.

"Rawr XD"

Unless you plan to crossfire later on

"Rawr XD"

An unbranded 450W might have a sticker that says 450W, but in reality it might only be able to put out 250W.

Yes but if it can only give out 250W or less then what it says then my PC would of blown up already, would it not?

errrrr thats not how it works and .....

Yes but if it can only give out 250W or less then what it says then my PC would of blown up already, would it not?

this

450 is too low to be safe i would go for a 600w to give you some head room.  corsair have some decent PSUs and so do evga

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

500W is perfectly fine. Buy a new one though. While the unbranded 450W may still be able to power your system, it is a ticking time bomb. The best scenario is that it will just stop working and you'll need to buy a new one. If you plan on getting a bigger GPU down the line (next year or two), maybe bump it up to a 600W but you definitely don't need to go any higher. With your current system, 600W is already way overkill.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

450 is too low to be safe i would go for a 600w to give you some head room.  corsair have some decent PSUs and so do evga

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about, the OP's system with a 270X won't draw even 300W under load. 450W is more then enough, unless OP plans to crossfire later on.

59869.png

"Rawr XD"

i would get a solid 500-550 watt psu, to have some headroom

and margin to work with, enabling you to throw in a proper

high end gpu down the road without being worried.

i would rather over estimate when it comes to psu's.

first off how dare you accuse me of not knowing what im talking about then spout this crap

a 450w PSU will ALWAYS deliver 450w regardless of its efficiency

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about, the OP's system with a 270X won't draw even 300W under load. 450W is more then enough, unless OP plans to crossfire later on.

59869.png

second just because this graph (which is pointless as the only thing it matches to the OPs system is the graphics card any way) shows is that if the OP is playing crysis 3 and nothing else then his system will draw ~270w...this is NOT what his sytem is capable of drawing A simple trip to PCP would show what his system is capable of drawing, (409w BTW see link http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/h3k7yc) given that you want to be running your psu at a max of ~80-85% of a PSUs total output then a 600 would do this and allow some head room for extra drives, ram or an overclock 

so in future i sugest you ensure you have all the facts before you jump half cocked and attack some one....more importantly before you give some one bad advice and screw there system up or worse burn there house down

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

errrrr thats not how it works and .....

Aniallation stated that there are pissed poor PSU out there that cannot output what it is rated for which is in fact true. For example, there's an Echostar 680w unit that violated ATX specification at 99w by ~230% (specs states that the 12v should NOT exceed 120mV, when it went up to 275mV) and continued to do so until 277w before it blew out. A power supply like this shouldn't even rated for 100w and yet it had been rated for 680w...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6714

There are even some well-known brands that does this practice of rating something for one thing and failing to output it. Like the Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w failing at 580w: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/1

this

That's not a guarantee. There are PSUs that will explode loudly while potentially taking out other components with it; however, there PSU does it quietly and causes problems without you knowing. As you can see the example above, it didn't blow up until 277w even though it went dangerously out of specification at 100w. And it gets worse over time, when the components of the PSU loses it filtering capability (which is going to be faster than a quality PSU).

If it did not blown up already, that doesn't mean it isn't doing any harm to it. Assuming that there isn't any sort of noticeable stability issues,  abad power supply that continues to operated can also affect the lifespan of the components it is powering over time.

Any competent, modern day PSU will output what it rated for true; however, Alliallation NEVER stated anything about efficiency. Also, what you said isn't correct either. The PSU industry is rather poorly regulated, that a single wattage can be define in various of ways, and certain manufacturer will hide the fact of how they rated it.

For example, a 450w DC power supply may be rated at PEAK power, while another PSU such as the Rosewill Captone 450w is rated at continuous. That 450w DC peak may very well be a 350w continuous rated PSU. There's also the issue on what operating temperature that it is rated at. The Capstone is rated for 50C, and that peak power PSU may be rated for room temperature of 25C. What this mean is that the Rosewill can output the entirety of it rated output at 50C, but the peak power PSU can only do so at 25C. If the temperature goes over, what it actually can output can derates (At 35C it may have drop to 350w DC peak for example).

One more example is due to design. A Rosewill Capstone 450w can output it entire wattage off of just the 12v rail (37.5)due to it utilizing a DC-DC VRM on the secondary. However, an PSU that is based on an archaic design, where a PC used to be power primarily by the 3.3/5v rail rather than mostly the 12v rail like today may have a 20A rating (240w). This would mean this so-call "450w" PSU is at best a 300w PSU by modern standard if you just look at the 12v rating. An example of this would be the Logisy 480w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170014

A 480w PSU that only has a 16A rating on the +12v rail (192w), during an era where the majority of the power draw is done on that particular rail.

There have been some deception of companies using a number that looks like a wattage rating when it's actually a model number... An example of this would be the Cooler Master Extreme 2 475 (or at least it seems like it): http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Extreme-2-475-W-Power-Supply-Review/1550

It's label as "475", but you can only supply up to ~350w safely from it, and it shut and burned out at 428.9w.

Since we don't know what type of PSU he has, it is not a good idea to assume about the actual capability of his PSU just solely based off of rating.

second just because this graph (which is pointless as the only thing it matches to the OPs system is the graphics card any way) shows is that if the OP is playing crysis 3 and nothing else then his system will draw ~270w...this is NOT what his sytem is capable of drawing A simple trip to PCP would show what his system is capable of drawing, (409w BTW see link http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/h3k7yc) given that you want to be running your psu at a max of ~80-85% of a PSUs total output then a 600 would do this and allow some head room for extra drives, ram or an overclock

You could used a power bug application like Furmark and Prime95 simultaneously to near that power draw; however, you would not see that sort of load in actual real world usage. Using a quality PSU like the Rosewill Capstone 450w, Seasonic G 450w, Cooler Master V450S, etc. would indeed be able to safely power his system. Of course, if he wants to get some "headroom", that's up to the OP. First and foremost, the OP should focus on getting a quality unit at the very least, and whether he has the budget to do so, spend more on a higher capacity unit if he choose to.

I also believe the PCPP estimate is to provide a recommendation - not provide actual power draw. This is evident by the fact that, in compatibility mode, they will not show anything under "409w" and yet suggest a low-end, entry-level CX430 from Corsair.

Anyways, what is your budget? Where are you buying from (currency and availability of certain countries can greatly limit your options)?

TL;DR all of the thread.

I suggest you get an EVGA Supernova for around 70 bucks. Good PSU that will last.

Then save up and get a different GPU. I say the 29 280X is a pretty good deal about nows. XFX has them for just under $200 and that's a steal for the performance.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

first off how dare you accuse me of not knowing what im talking about then spout this crap

so in future i sugest you ensure you have all the facts before you jump half cocked and attack some one....more importantly before you give some one bad advice and screw there system up or worse burn there house down

An unbranded 450W might be able to deliver all 450W, but two things come into application that you didn't consider

1. If anything close to 400W can be delivered on the 12V rail(s) rather then 250W on 12V and the rest on 5V and 3.3V.

2. If ripple and voltage regulation are going to suck balls, like @quan289 stated.

Also a system with a 270X will not pull 409W unless an extreme overclock is done on the FX CPU, putting it on the voltage and clock speed levels of a 9590. At these levels, an unbranded 450W is what will burn down OP's house, not my suggestion of a good quality 450W. So don't call out people for giving "bad advice" when you are actually the one giving bad advice and have already been proven wrong. If you want to run a 270X and overclocked 8350 off a 450W DiabloTek, be my guest. But I'm here to recommend a good PSU to the OP that will be sufficient to handle their system. Keep in mind OP has not mentioned anything about adding a second 270/270X/7850/7870 later on.

The Anandtech review in the picture uses an overclocked 4960X, which doesn't sip power either. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7503/the-amd-radeon-r9-270x-270-review-feat-asus-his/4

"Rawr XD"

well dont i look like a twat

ill just shut up