Star Citizen's Australian server is in..... Singapore?

LifesCompanion

According to our Lord, Chris Roberts, Australia's SC server is going to be located in Singapore due to the lack of technology required in Australia - partially due to Google. 

This is because the persistent universe servers they are building rely on Google Compute platforms do not exist in Australia (for now).

“The issue is that we’re building our PU server framework on Google Compute and doing a lot of things like dynamically spinning up and down servers on demand,” says Roberts. “It is possible for us to have a non Google Compute server extension but that will require additional logic and code.”

“So for the early stages (like pre-Star Citizen v1.0 launch) we will probably be limited to places where Google Compute is available. Which is where Singapore came up as I believe the closest Google Compute data server to Australia is based there. If Google sets up a data center locally to Australia then we would enable nodes there.”

“In fact part of the design we are going for is to allow us to spin up and down game servers via Google Compute as geographically co-located as possible,” Roberts continued, “not just limited to the usual suspects like North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. This is the longer term goal but one where you get to harness the true power of ‘cloud computing’ for a better game experience.”

source: forums

EDIT: not too sure if this is the correct forum, if it's not please move it to the correct area :)

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Not too much of a problem, it's not like the latency could get any worse anyway considering how bad our internet is.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I'm okay with this. Singapore isn't 'too' far away from Australia. Pings won't be too bad. If it means better serverside performance and they won't be so unreliable that connections drop all the time, then I'm cool with this.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

better than having the servers in say Europe or north america

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Lol, why is it dem SG? Cause we haz fast connection?

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Suprised Roberts even cares about Australia enough to consider us for a server. With such a small demographic of PC gamers down here I imagined we would be running through servers in Murica'.

Suprised Roberts even cares about Australia enough to consider us for a server. With such a small demographic of PC gamers down here I imagined we would be running through servers in Murica'.

i believe he promised it  at the start

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

The ESO servers in nth America only occasionally have latency issues for me, so unless the servers are crap it can only be better.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That is good, hope they do get one actually in Australia when possible though.

i believe he promised it at the start

Ah, righto. I haven't followed it all too closely. My pc can barely run the hanger module. Ha ha. I'll be more excited once I get better hardware and Sc gets closer to Alpha.

I believe he said recently, that per capita, Australia has the largest SC fanbase. And those servers being hosted in Singapore could also possibly deal with a fair chunk of Asia, reducing costs.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

At last... we are once again relevant... anyways playing in aust server from Singapore in Dota 2 is fine for me so I would not worry..

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

There is a huge amount of Aussies for every non-Aussie on here though

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

You were clearly not at the PAX events :P

Lol, why is it dem SG? Cause we haz fast connection?

We have the fastest internet in the whole region, and much faster than Australia. I experienced it first hand and it help me appreciate this shitty country a bit.

Our internet is terrible and even though they are spending all this money on Fibre its still slow still has to share the connection with other cities

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

We have the fastest internet in the whole region, and much faster than Australia. I experienced it first hand and it help me appreciate this shitty country a bit.

True, but the people here, some of them are complete asshats

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

True, but the people here, some of them are complete asshats

Yup, internet speed and affordability is the only thing holding me of not moving out.

As an australian, I don't find this even slightly surprising. SC is still like 2 years away though...

Same, I am sort of angry with them that Blizzard has Australian servers here for all their games now and they don't but hey I am sure by the time the game comes out they will have them here. If they don't then it's just them being scum since it's obviously affordable.

But he did state that these plans for Australian servers to be in Singapore are temporary because he seems to expect to be able to provide us with real Australian servers by release.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Good compromise. As a leader of a gaming org with a decent number of Aussies, it settles my nerves on their behalf a little. It's always one of the biggest concerns with new games. Pretty good for Europeans too, who have OC friends and want to play in the same instance. I think I had 50-60 ping to Singapore servers in the past, so this is awesome.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Same, I am sort of angry with them that Blizzard has Australian servers here for all their games now and they don't but hey I am sure by the time the game comes out they will have them here. If they don't then it's just them being scum since it's obviously affordable.

But he did state that these plans for Australian servers to be in Singapore are temporary because he seems to expect to be able to provide us with real Australian servers by release.

Yeah (in ref. to the Singapore servers being temporary), that's also the vibe I got from reading Roberts reply but as far I'm aware, Singapore is quite close to us so it shouldn't be a major issue.

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Well microsoft is starting to rollout servers here and with nbn happening maybe we will see more demand from our country and google will hopefully give us some servers.

Not too much of a problem, it's not like the latency could get any worse anyway considering how bad our internet is.

Australian internet is capable of good latency, distance is what causes high ping times.