Are mechanical keyboards even worth it, compared to scissor-switch keyboards?

Crimson Dog

I may be a filthy heathen in everyone's eyes now, but hear me out.

I've been using my lappy for around 5 years now. I've gotten used to it and actually really like the feel of it.

Now everyone is telling me that mechanical keyboards are crème de la crème of the keyboard world.

Honestly, I've tried one, a razor blackwidow, i think. It didnt feel all that spectacular. Better than the standard dome keyboard, but not better than scissor switch.

The short travel distance I adore, and even though it took less force, the mechanical keys felt way too floaty in comparison due to needing similar total force over a longer travel distance.

Looking at the price, i don't think mechanical keyboards are worth it in my particular case.

For reference, I have an Acer 5741G, and its keyboard has basically 2 button states: pressed or no pressed.

You can't really partially press it so there's virtually no floatiness or squishiness to the keypresses, and they're precise and short.

Additionally, it takes a lot of initial force, so there aren't any accidental presses. The only bad thing i can say about it that it pushes back quite hard, so if you have to keep a key pressed, you may need to apply a lot of force, but I don't feel it's an issue for me.

So, am I a filthy casual, a heathen and a scoundrel who should just listen to the master race, or do i actually have a point here?

Sidenote: got some good scissor-switch desktop keyboards to suggest? Keep them wired, not wireless, and with a numpad, please :P

Desktop: AMD x4 860k | Kingston 2x 4GB 1333MHz Sapphire Radeon 280x VaporX DualX

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5741G held together by crushed hopes and dreams

Tablet: Chuwi Hi10 | Intel Atom x5-Z8300 | 4GB RAM

Apparently Topre is better then mechanical.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Doesn't really answer my question, though.

Desktop: AMD x4 860k | Kingston 2x 4GB 1333MHz Sapphire Radeon 280x VaporX DualX

there is no 'best' type of switch, everyone has their own preference, done.

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

It's all about personal preference really.. If you feel that the keyboard you have is the optimal typing/gaming experience for you, then you should continue using what you have.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

It's all about personal preference really.. If you feel that the keyboard you have is the optimal typing/gaming experience for you, then you should continue using what you have.

Well, it's a laptop keyboard, i can't really use it with a desktop.

Man, i wish i could.

Any of you have any good scissor-switch desktop keyboards to recommend?

Wired, with numpad, preferably.

when did that happen???

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

when did that happen???

In the enthusiast crowd Topre has always ranked above Cherry and ALPS. Topre is not better than mechanical since they are mechanical switches themselves. The ranking for common "mechanical" switches in the enthusiast community is:

1. Buckling Springs

2. Topre

3. Cherry MX and ALPS

4. Cherry MX clones

Man, i wish i could.

well i assume the thinkpad usb keyboards or the apple keyboard would work well to do that kind of thing

well i assume the thinkpad usb keyboards or the apple keyboard would work well to do that kind of thing

The apple keyboard lacks F keys and is more or less exclusively en-EN layout.

The thinkpad keyboards don't have a numpad as far as I can tell.

Ive heard a lot of good things about Logitech Illuminated keyboards though

The apple keyboard lacks F keys and is more or less exclusively en-EN layout.

The thinkpad keyboards don't have a numpad as far as I can tell.

Ive heard a lot of good things about Logitech Illuminated keyboards though

it would seem they no longer to make them but have in the past i have seen a few of them with numpads like this one 

ultranav_keyboard_04.jpg

Man, i wish i could.

Razer Deathstalker?

Chiclet keys aren't exactly the same thing as scissorswitch, but they should have a similarly short non-squishy travel as a laptop scissorswitch keyboard..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

If you like scissor switches, that's what you like. I like them as well, especially for gaming, but there aren't many boards out there that mesh the two well, at least to my taste. I do think there's still some overhype factor with mechanical keyboards, especially when you consider their cost. I can see some people buying for "master race" reasons that end up not really using the mechanical function to their advantage, but still preach its greatness so they feel like they didn't blow all that money for nothing. The more money you throw at a board doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get your money's worth from it. There are lots of different preferences out there, so it might take a while for you to find something you truly enjoy, if you choose to go looking for something else. There's nothing wrong with sticking with what you like and saving a bunch of money on trial and error either.

Short answer - yes.

It's not always about "performance" and things like that. While I do feel like I can type quicker on my mech the reason why I think it was worth it is because I love how it feels. Simple as that. If I'm honest... I'm not sure if Razer's board exemplifies it best. I remember before I bought my own board (with mx brown) I managed to fiddle with the black widow in a store and I had a similar initial impression - yes I can feel a bump partway through the keypress but otherwise there wasn't anything else there. But when I got my own board with cherry switches, they felt completely different.

Mechanical keyboards are proven to make people type faster. But it all comes down to preference. Whether you like normal keys or flat laptop keys and if you want to spend some extra money on a mechanical keyboard.I would say get a mechanical keyboards. They have key switches for all types of people. 

-Zinqs [-] i7 4790k @ 4.6 ghz [-] 2x EVGA Gtx 980 SC [-] Asus Maximus VII Formula [-] 16gb Dominator Platinum [-] Corsair Obsidian 750d [-]

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Zinqs/saved/#savedbuild_1641021

I couldn't use scissor switches for long periods of writing. And I've used laptops for writing quite much. But for me its more about height of keys than switches themselves. If you'd had scissor switches in normal height keyboards, they would feel pretty much along with rubberdome ones. The lenght that key has to travel is that much bigger.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Scissor-switches are pretty good.Have been using a laptop for 2 years and they were inanely great.But after 2 years its keys started to come out.So i dumped it.

I couldn't use scissor switches for long periods of writing. And I've used laptops for writing quite much. But for me its more about height of keys than switches themselves. If you'd had scissor switches in normal height keyboards, they would feel pretty much along with rubberdome ones. The lenght that key has to travel is that much bigger.

That's the point.

Scissor switch keyboards are much more shallow, which i like.

That's the point.

Scissor switch keyboards are much more shallow, which i like.

And that makes it another personal preference thing. I like higher profile keyboards in general. Even older IBM rubberdome ones have really nice writing feel.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

And that makes it another personal preference thing. I like higher profile keyboards in general. Even older IBM rubberdome ones have really nice writing feel.

But then again, that was the question in the first place.

Do the advantages of a mechanical keyboard outweigh heavy personal preference and the high cost of the keyboard.

it depends on how much you value your money and on the individual. Topre switches also have the shortest actuation point of what i could consider mechanical switches. But they're also more expensive then almost all other keyboards.

it depends on how much you value your money and on the individual. Topre switches also have the shortest actuation point of what i could consider mechanical switches. But they're also more expensive then almost all other keyboards.

Well, atavax is into keyboards as well. Not surprised at all.

I think shorter actuation points are preferable (personally) due to much faster reaction and the ability to get immediate feedback from your computer. Many of my friends think the opposite. It's really just your opinion. Try everything out before you buy it, that's what I always do.

(I use steelseries apex because...idk...I liked it when I tried it out)

A quick google search found this:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28121

It's an Australian computer shop, but that seems like the kind of thing you're looking for, and I'm sure someone that isn't pccase gear sells it. Have hope my friend, the kind of thing you are looking for does indeed exist.

P.S. You are indeed a filthy casual.

P.P.S. In seriousness, I do think mechanical keyboards can be bloody expensive for what you get, but I wouldn't trade my Corsair K70 with brown switches for anything. If scissor switch is what you like, than don't let anyone tell you you're wrong. It's all down to preference. That's one thing that I actually think cherry switch keyboards are good for, there are pretty much switches for everybody, and no one can be wrong in their preference. But this does extend to ther keyboards and switch types (except membrane lol) if you like the short travel distance and feel of scissor switch, then go for it.

Rig: MSI X370 SLI-Plus | Ryzen 7 1700X | ASUS GTX1070 | Corsair Vengeance 32gb DDR4 3000mhz | Corsair RM750i PSU | Samsung EVO 960 256GB NVMe SSD | Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD | NZXT S340 Elite Case | Custom Water Loop

Not everyone loves mechanical keyboards and they're not a worthy investment to everyone. Unless you're making money by typing a lot it's a pretty silly investment.

I'd never buy a $300 knife set when I can get one for $30 but that's because I don't do much cooking and yet I'm aware that telling a chef that expensive knives are a stupid investment is just ridiculous.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |