Are mechanical keyboards even worth it, compared to scissor-switch keyboards?

Crimson Dog

I may be a filthy heathen in everyone's eyes now, but hear me out.

I've been using my lappy for around 5 years now. I've gotten used to it and actually really like the feel of it.

Now everyone is telling me that mechanical keyboards are crème de la crème of the keyboard world.

Honestly, I've tried one, a razor blackwidow, i think. It didnt feel all that spectacular. Better than the standard dome keyboard, but not better than scissor switch.

The short travel distance I adore, and even though it took less force, the mechanical keys felt way too floaty in comparison due to needing similar total force over a longer travel distance.

Looking at the price, i don't think mechanical keyboards are worth it in my particular case.

For reference, I have an Acer 5741G, and its keyboard has basically 2 button states: pressed or no pressed.

You can't really partially press it so there's virtually no floatiness or squishiness to the keypresses, and they're precise and short.

Additionally, it takes a lot of initial force, so there aren't any accidental presses. The only bad thing i can say about it that it pushes back quite hard, so if you have to keep a key pressed, you may need to apply a lot of force, but I don't feel it's an issue for me.

So, am I a filthy casual, a heathen and a scoundrel who should just listen to the master race, or do i actually have a point here?

Sidenote: got some good scissor-switch desktop keyboards to suggest? Keep them wired, not wireless, and with a numpad, please :P

You are a filthy casual, a heathen and a scoundrel who should just listen to the master race. ;) although really, mechanical keyboards are better. They actually actuate sooner, and reset faster. Out sounds to me like you have to problems: A. You got a really, really nice laptop keyboard and B. You were bottoming out your mechanical keyboard. With gaming-grade mechanical switches, you don't need to fully bottom out the keys, just push 'em until they click. It really helps, give your mechanical keyboard another chance. Hopes this helps!

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

I may be a filthy heathen in everyone's eyes now, but hear me out.

I've been using my lappy for around 5 years now. I've gotten used to it and actually really like the feel of it.

Now everyone is telling me that mechanical keyboards are crème de la crème of the keyboard world.

Honestly, I've tried one, a razor blackwidow, i think. It didnt feel all that spectacular. Better than the standard dome keyboard, but not better than scissor switch.

The short travel distance I adore, and even though it took less force, the mechanical keys felt way too floaty in comparison due to needing similar total force over a longer travel distance.

Looking at the price, i don't think mechanical keyboards are worth it in my particular case.

For reference, I have an Acer 5741G, and its keyboard has basically 2 button states: pressed or no pressed.

You can't really partially press it so there's virtually no floatiness or squishiness to the keypresses, and they're precise and short.

Additionally, it takes a lot of initial force, so there aren't any accidental presses. The only bad thing i can say about it that it pushes back quite hard, so if you have to keep a key pressed, you may need to apply a lot of force, but I don't feel it's an issue for me.

So, am I a filthy casual, a heathen and a scoundrel who should just listen to the master race, or do i actually have a point here?

Sidenote: got some good scissor-switch desktop keyboards to suggest? Keep them wired, not wireless, and with a numpad, please :P

You are not alone m8  ;)

Skimmed first page, I think I have cancer from that.

Everything you read about mechanical keyboards is complete bullshit, and you shouldn't even care about what they say. What matters the most is you and some statistical facts.

I can go on about how Topre is the godswitch(because it is, get real), but Topre is out of some people's means of purchasing and worse is people who have the means think it isn't.

In the enthusiast crowd Topre has always ranked above Cherry and ALPS. Topre is not better than mechanical since they are mechanical switches themselves. The ranking for common "mechanical" switches in the enthusiast community is:

1. Buckling Springs

2. Topre

3. Cherry MX and ALPS

4. Cherry MX clones

P.S. this is awfully off. No one likes buckling springs unless you're stuck in 1970, Topre is godswitch but too expensive, Cherry MX and ALPS can't be grouped together they're completely different, Cherry MX clones are clones thus they feel exactly the same and no one can tell the difference because they're clones.

On a more technical standpoint, to my understanding a mechanical keyboard will last you longer than a scissor switch keyboard. The only benefit to mechanical keyboards is if you enjoy the feel more than other switch types, and for some people the actuation not being at the bottom is quite important. For me personally my fingers start to hurt after I bottom out for a while, and this really only happens on membranes, because that's the type of board I'm forced to bottom out on.

TL;DR: Pick whatever you really like, and what suits your needs. If MX doesn't have it, then maybe its not worth all the hype that comes with it. If scissor switch is your favorite switch, you're probably just smart for not buying into MX hype. (topre hype is rl doe)

Skimmed first page, I think I have cancer from that.

Everything you read about mechanical keyboards is complete bullshit, and you shouldn't even care about what they say. What matters the most is you and some statistical facts.

I can go on about how Topre is the godswitch(because it is, get real), but Topre is out of some people's means of purchasing and worse is people who have the means think it isn't.

P.S. this is awfully off. No one likes buckling springs unless you're stuck in 1970, Topre is godswitch but too expensive, Cherry MX and ALPS can't be grouped together they're completely different, Cherry MX clones are clones thus they feel exactly the same and no one can tell the difference because they're clones.

On a more technical standpoint, to my understanding a mechanical keyboard will last you longer than a scissor switch keyboard. The only benefit to mechanical keyboards is if you enjoy the feel more than other switch types, and for some people the actuation not being at the bottom is quite important. For me personally my fingers start to hurt after I bottom out for a while, and this really only happens on membranes, because that's the type of board I'm forced to bottom out on.

TL;DR: Pick whatever you really like, and what suits your needs. If MX doesn't have it, then maybe its not worth all the hype that comes with it. If scissor switch is your favorite switch, you're probably just smart for not buying into MX hype. (topre hype is rl doe)

Buckling Springs is loved by many keyboard enthusiast, but most ordinary users won't care because as you said, they look and "feel" out-dated. Doesn't mean they can't be as awesome as those who use them say they are. And when I put Alps and Cherry in the same position, I didn't mean that they felt the same, but that neither is really viewed as "superior" than the other: just different.

Apparently Topre is better then mechanical.

No it's just personal preference. I own a buckling spring and mechanical and they are just different in their own ways. Topre is just the same.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

What are the differences in the switches? What's good for what?

Marketing people try to tell you that X switch is better for Y activity, but the reality is that its all up to your personal preference.

Okay and what are those preferences?

Sorry, I am a mech kb noob. I am thinking of getting one though and wonder if the price is justified. I was hoping this thread answered that, maybe I'll go make another thread.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

Okay and what are those preferences?

Sorry, I am a mech kb noob. I am thinking of getting one though and wonder if the price is justified. I was hoping this thread answered that, maybe I'll go make another thread.

1. Go to a store and try different switches and find out which one is the best for you.

2. Order a switch sampler online.

3. If the above are impossible, read on the switches on the Internet, watch some videos, and try to find out which switch sounds the best suited for your tastes.