Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Removes Music, 1920x1080 Option, and Breaks Game Saves

IdortMasterRace

The PC version of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas got an update today, presumably as a tie-in with the recent ‘HD’ console re-releases, but it may be one to avoid. Over at the site Rockstar Nexus they’re compiling an ongoing list of what the patch adds … and what it takes away.

On the plus side, it adds XInput controller support. That’s pretty handy, as getting basic 360 controllers to work with the PC version of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was not a particularly fun exercise.

That’s pretty much the end of the good news.

According to Rockstar Nexus, this latest patch breaks support for the 1920×1080 resolution (which had actually been fixed in a previous patch) and will revert to starting a new game if you try to load a save from an older version.

Quite a few songs have been removed from the San Andreas radio stations too, presumably due to licensing issues.

Rockstar Nexus helpfully points the way towards a community-made patch which attends to some of the newly introduced issues (such as the rejected saved games,) but the only way to retain the songs would presumably be to make some kind of back-up.

Songs removed:

PLAYBACK FM

“Critical Beatdown”

K-DST

“Running Down A Dream”

“Woman To Woman”

Bounce FM

“You Dropped A Bomb On Me”

“Yum Yum”

“Running Away”

Radio Los Santos

“I Don’t Give A f*ck”

“Express Yourself”

Radio X

“Killing in the Name of”

“Hellraiser”

K-Jah West

“Ring My Bell”

“Don’t Let It Go To Your Head”

MasterSounds 98.3

“Express Yourself”

“Rock Creek Park”

“Grunt”

“Soul Power ’74”

“The Payback”

This is fucking dumb. Apparently the menus are all touch-screen ready now... please don't tell me they've replaced the original San Andreas files with the rumoured tablet port? Also yes, the option for 1920x1080 has completely disappeared.

At least Cult of Personality is still in the game, but fuck me, what a horrible update.

EDIT: Oh fucking fantastic, the Steam version already updated without me asking me, despite me originally setting my shit to not update without permission. Thanks Valve!

What? I don't get it. Why update an old game like this. 

I bought GTA SA 2 times now so if i ever wanna play i'll just pirate it without game-ruining updates.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Late to the punch mate. This chap was having a bit of a rant about it yesterday.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/246494-steam-gta-sa-update/

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Fucking lol, I can't even open the game.

qqsfet.png

I got this error the first time I tried to open it. I even tried restarting my PC and still got that error the first time I tried running it. I'm even lookinng through Task Manager, but the game definitely isn't open.

Bravo Rockstar.

Jeez, this used to be my favorite GTA. 

They removed some of the best songs, that sucks.

And I'm pretty sure it already supported 1080p resolutions.

It's always the legal system that stops things from reaching their potential.

Well, if I ever want to play it, I have the disk so it doesn't bother me.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

And I'm pretty sure it already supported 1080p resolutions.

Sorry, title is a bit misleading, I meant to say it removed music AND removed 1920x1080.

Sorry, title is a bit misleading, I meant to say it removed music AND removed 1920x1080.

ohhh.... well that's shit.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Yeah i was curious as to why it had an update today, also losing 1080p is fucking retarded on a monumental scale. better go reinstall the old version then

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I wonder why they had to remove the music.

Imagine if you re-downloaded a film you bought years ago from your online digital video store of choice, only to find that a good chunk of the soundtrack had been removed.

I could understand if this effected new purchases, but I already paid for that content.

I guess everyone is thinking it but I'll say it: Let's cripple a legendary classic just so you don't get any fucking ideas and just buy GTA V in a couple of weeks.....And before you go there no, GTA IV is not better it was a shitty port that is quite inferior to San Andreas imho.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Seriously? They updated the game to remove stuff. Seriously? Seriously?

Just a perfect move by Rockstar, really assuring gamers about what kind of support they can expect with the upcoming GTA V.

4 months after the release they'll remove 2 radios and the 4k. Then 8 months later they'll update again to remove the first person mode. Finally after 18 months you will get an update that will replace the entire game with a JPEG of a giant middle finger.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I wonder why they had to remove the music.

Imagine if you re-downloaded a film you bought years ago from your online digital video store of choice, only to find that a good chunk of the soundtrack had been removed.

I could understand if this effected new purchases, but I already paid for that content.

While normally updates to games don't have these issues if they're turning it into a different "release" of the game and making it like the 360 HD release I wonder if their contracts would require the music to be removed.

Removing the music could be a legal thing when they licensed the music for the game 10 years ago. The license could have only been for copies sold within a time period. Rockstar probably didn't expect Steam and Mobile platforms and that they would still be selling this game over 10 years later, but removing 1080P has no possible excuse

Removing the music could be a legal thing when they licensed the music for the game 10 years ago. The license could have only been for copies sold within a time period. Rockstar probably didn't expect Steam and Mobile platforms and that they would still be selling this game over 10 years later, but removing 1080P has no possible excuse

Maybe because it's going to outperform GTA V's capabilities on the xbone? Just guessing.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You know, you'd think with their newest release looming on the horizons for a January release date, for GTAV, they'd be looking to not fucking piss off the consumer base.

It's just like Ubisoft and a multitude of other video game devs these days, "hey, we've got a release on the way, let's piss people off and make things worse for them so they'll be less inclined to give us money and they'll pirate our shit".

I find it funny how, if what OP says that it automatically updated his game, then it kinda smells a bit weird considering how Gabe "says service, not price, the big issue for consumers and publishers." Yet here we have his own service pushing a very big incentive for people to tell him to go fuck himself and pirate what at this point a game that is getting a very subpar HD rerelease and original version is so old it came out two generations ago.

(http://au.ign.com/articles/2011/11/25/gabe-says-piracy-isnt-about-price)

All about the pirate ship, we're goin' on a long long journey, oh yo ho ho, gonna dock in ye olde pirate bay and score us some booty.

Just use 1.0 like everybody else for mods

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

I find it funny how, if what OP says that it automatically updated his game, then it kinda smells a bit weird considering how Gabe "says service, not price, the big issue for consumers and publishers." Yet here we have his own service pushing a very big incentive for people to tell him to go fuck himself and pirate what at this point a game that is getting a very subpar HD rerelease and original version is so old it came out two generations ago.

Seems like they've completely removed the option.

wtsokb.png

It's either update it automatically, or forced to update when you play it. It's pretty awful. This is why I hate DRM.

There is no polite way to express my feelings about this. I bought GTA:SA on

• PS2, Xbox, Android (Day it was released - played for about a hour before giving up on the useless controls.), PC (Twice, one on disk - now broke and on Steam)

It was the best GTA for me. I love GTA V , don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic game but SA will always be my favourite, and now they have done this. What the hell? We don't need another gaming company trying to get to the centre of the Earth. What the hell were you thinking Rockstar?

EDIT: Just launched My GTA SA and it seems to be the exact same menu. Perhaps I haven't got the update yet? I hope it stays like that.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Seems like they've completely removed the option.

wtsokb.png

It's either update it automatically, or forced to update when you play it. It's pretty awful. This is why I hate DRM.

Well at least the options are honest now. Steam has had problems with the "don't update" option since day one and they NEVER fixed it. I'm not sure if I've ever seen someone say that the "don't update" option worked for them all the time.

Well..... Rockstar Can go die too.

So that's Ubisoft and Rockstar.... Next!

Oh fucking fantastic, the Steam version already updated without me asking me, despite me originally setting my shit to not update without permission. Thanks Valve!

Find any version, you just need to take a dip into the bay or pirates

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Their licenses to the music probably expired. As far as the 1080p stuff goes I'm interested what they have to say for themselves.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."