MSI Announces their Radeon R9 290X Gaming 8GB Graphics Card

BiG StroOnZ

MSI is proud to announce the availability of the new R9 290X GAMING 8G graphics card. Packed with 8 Gigabyte GDDR5 memory operating at 5500MHz and all the extra features stuffed with it, the new 290X GAMING 8G is sure to drive UltraHD gaming resolutions without any problem.

R9 290X GAMING 8G Technical specifications

• GPU: Hawaii XT
  • R9 290X GAMING 8G Clock speeds: 1040 MHz (OC Mode)
  • Memory size / Speed: 8096 MB / 5500 MHz
  • Connectivity: DisplayPort / HDMI / 2x DL-DVI-D
  • Card Dimensions: 276x127x39 mm
  • Afterburner OC support: GPU / VDDCI Overvoltage
  • Power connectors: 1x 8-pin, 1x 6-pin PCI Express

2j1mxi1.jpg

20t57d2.jpg

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/206950/msi-announces-radeon-r9-290x-gaming-8gb-graphics-card.html

Sapphire announced theirs, as did XFX, now it's MSI's turn. Still, this would be a really nice card for 3-way Crossfire Eyefinity setups. 

This might might sound stupid but what does the extra RAM on the GPU do for it. n00b here.

What else is there to say i am to n00b to understand computers so yea...

This might might sound stupid but what does the extra RAM on the GPU do for it. n00b here.

Helps with 4k gaming i guess. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

It's basically like DRAM, but only for GPUs in the way that with normal ram it's how many things you can have open at the one time, VRAM is basically how big the resolution/3d scenes can be

EDIT: 3d scenes are probably on the normal RAM

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

allows better textures and quality to dumb it down. better for higher res. 

This amount of memory is mostly useful for Multi-Monitor Setups, as you increase your resolution drastically your VRAM utilization goes up. This means people who have three of these in Crossfire could drive the Multi-Monitor Resolution at max to near max settings without being bottlenecked by lack of VRAM. 

This amount of memory is mostly useful for Multi-Monitor Setups, as you increase your resolution drastically your VRAM utilization goes up. This means people who have three of these in Crossfire could drive the Multi-Monitor Resolution at max to near max settings without being bottlenecked by lack of VRAM. 

this is probably enough for 1440p surround to now be a reality for more people

Sapphire, XFX and MSi?

What about HIS?

I really don't want to go with XFX just so I can have a cooler that doesn't look like crap

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

this is probably enough for 1440p surround to now be a reality for more people

I agree, 1600p surround too. I think if games start to take advantage of Crossfire (and SLI) better, perhaps even with a 4-way Crossfire they could drive 4K surround. But there's not many games that take advantage of 4-way configurations aside from maybe Tomb Raider.

Sapphire, XFX and MSi?

What about HIS?

I really don't want to go with XFX just so I can have a cooler that doesn't look like crap

You think Sapphire's and MSI's coolers look like crap? 

Looks pretty good, but why are they not using the Twin Frozr 5 cooler on this?

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

price?

CPU: i5 4670k GPU: GTX 770 Mobo: Z87-UD3H RAM: 8Gb Ripjaws Case: Corsair 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

Wont the card max out  before all 8gbs are being used?  Maybe even for cross-fire.  It might work for tri-fire.  If Nvidia had a 8gb card it would work for DSR, probably.

Nice, wish they would release the R9 300 series though.

Isn't that next year?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Isn't that next year?

Possibly, AMD hasn't really said when. But I'll just make a guess and say either December or Q1 2015

The 295X2 alone can't handle 4K gaming because of the 4gb limitaions.  I have read that you can tri-fire the 295X2 with a 290X, with fair results.  Would this 8gb card do the trick for that?  You could run the 8gb card as your main.  Too much of a premium product at this point.

The 295X2 alone can't handle 4K gaming because of the 4gb limitaions.  I have read that you can tri-fire the 295X2 with a 290X, with fair results.  Would this 8gb card do the trick for that?  You could run the 8gb card as your main.  Too much of a premium product at this point.

?? I don't know about that. 295x2 is about as fast a 4k solution you can get in any game that isn't Ubisoft or Nvidia Games Works related.

My one R9 290 can run a locked 30 plus on Shadows of Mordor at 4k. It just can't do Ultra texture pack (which many people think they are running when they click ultra but aren't, because you have to download it and restart the game after you change the setting) without stutter. 2 of these new 8 gigs should be able to do that with ease.

Other than that game and maybe Skyrim with a metric crap ton of mods? It should perform the same as the 4gb versions or the x2. Bout the only games I can think of that can take advantage of this. I don't know how many more games are going to release 6 GB texture packs. I imagine not many. Maybe 4 GB if we are lucky.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

and a bunch of skyrim mods.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Why didn't the use the nicer coolers like the ones they had for the 900 series.

My guess is they're saving it for the 300 series not to mention that twin frozer workds pretty well anyway.. My question would be why skimp on the back plate hell even the MSI 4gb 270x has a better back plate this things is almost pointless.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

(the new AMD cards Rx 300 will use the new Vram, so we can use all GDDR5 on the cards we have now)   :ph34r: 

Well the 980 is more powerful, cooler and more quiet so I would rather have that...