Ubisoft Pull Christmas Launch Games from Steam in the UK

ShadowCaptain

So according to this KitGuru article, all of the Ubisoft christmas launch games, AC:Unity, Far Cry 4 and The Crew, have been removed from Steam in the UK, even though they are available on steam in other countries

Reasons are currently unknown, but its probably so they can sell them through UPLAY/Retail at £50 and hide from the steam winter sale

When asked for comment by PCGamesN, Ubisoft responded: “We’ve been in discussions with Valve about Assassin’s Creed Unity but for the time being the game is not available via Steam in the UK. In the meantime, UK customers wishing to purchase the game digitally can do so by visiting the Uplay store, our retail partners or other digital distributors.”

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/jon-martindale/ubisoft-pulls-christmas-launch-games-from-steam-uk/

Yet more Ubisoft are the devil news, sorry :( but Its worth pointing out for people in the UK hoping they can grab a copy from steam in the sale

My opinion:

fuck you ubisoft

acunity.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Are they officially trying to commit financial suicide.

Seems so

"ah we dont want people to pay for our games anymore we give up"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The only reason Ubisoft did this is to cut Steam out of the loop so Valve doesn't make any money on from ACU

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Seems so

"ah we dont want people to pay for our games anymore we give up"

How big is Steam over there, do you think? Is it by far the leading platform? I mean, I'd assume so because there's a lot of games only on Steam that are mega popular in Europe.

Why Ubisoft, Why? What do you have to gain from this? Your just restricting access to your games. If people had a choice, UPlay wouldn't even exist any more.

Are you that desperate to screw over your last few fans for more money because it is convenient that this is before the Steam Winter Sale.

Sorry, but I have to do this,

Q3OjVSu.gif

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

The only reason Ubisoft did this is to cut Steam out of the loop so Valve doesn't make any money on from ACU

Yeah, its BULLSHIT, they will make a shit tone of cash regardless, why do this

How big is Steam over there, do you think? Is it by far the leading platform? I mean, I'd assume so because there's a lot of games only on Steam that are mega popular in Europe.

Absolutely massive, definitely the leading platform, we barely have any brick and mortar pc game stores,  

So you're saying there is a possibility that less Ubisoft games will be sold now?

fb4821a55878e400ce303c79cd0aff6a97bc6ac5

Anyway, Ubisoft is only trying to pull an EA. They too started believing in Origin. Hallowed are the Ori.

It is the to go place if you want to buy PC games, as there are only 1 that I know store that sells physical copies, sometimes you can get good deals, but older games are horrendous priced

So they said that The crew were on Steam UK but not anymore because.... reasons??

BTW you can buy it from argos for £39.99

but honestly, £50 = $80 is ridiculous for any kind of game

Well this definitely doesn't make sense to me.. Unless they struck a huge deal and are going to make more money per game by using another platform regardless of sales happening on these games at any point. I can see it happening for growth's sake, like Shadow was saying. Just does not sound like a very good idea.

Reminds me of WB Play.

Edit:

but honestly, £50 = $80 is ridiculous for any kind of game

I'm glad you guys are able to have higher income than us here in the U.S. then. No idea if the cost of living is higher there compared to the U.S. national average though. I could've easily spent twice as much money if I lived almost anywhere in Europe on games if that's been true for the last 10 years, and that was already in the thousands.

Well this definitely doesn't make sense to me.. Unless they struck a huge deal and are going to make more money per game by using another platform regardless of sales happening on these games at any point. I can see it happening for growth's sake, like Shadow was saying. Just does not sound like a very good idea.

Tbh, their timing couldn't be better. They hype the games they want to launch and then do this switch-a-roo just as everyone is about to pre-purchase/buy the game at that time of the year.

I'm assuming most will just buy it anyway. Because i'm affraid you assume everyone will be upset about this and won't buy the game as some sort of mass-protest. But as we've learned these past years, the vast majority are gullible tasteless mouthbreathers who will continue to settle for less and less, just so they can play "capt. bland's monotonous adventures" 12.

Games "journalism" takes care of the "curation" for these companies, as will (biased) word of mouth from the consumers. They really don't need steam anymore now they've had time to set up their own store-platforms/servers in the mean time. I'm thinking Steam will gradually gravitate towards Indie and less AAA as they will have their own stores.

Why only the UK? I assume they'll try and remove them for other places as well next. 

They must hate money. I'm pretty sure most of their PC sales come from Steam not uPlay.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

They must hate money. I'm pretty sure most of their PC sales come from Steam not uPlay.

I would agree, I haven't even been on Uplay yet and I don't plan to. 

You people seriously believe that if Steam no longer sells Ass Creed that the game won't be sold? Get real guys...Origin happening did not hurt sales of Battlefield 4 in any significant way, if sales were hurt it was due to the pisspoor state the game was in at launch. It only increased their revenue by 30% (steam's cut) - costs of own platform. Which i'm assuming outweighs steam's take on their products.

And honestly, i'm not sure what the big deal is here. Don't they have the right to decide for themselves which way they distribute their digital media? I think we're getting a little over-entitled here.

Wow it appears ubisoft has stopped digging with a shovel and started drilling.

Comon Ubisoft Please People Dont buy There games in the UK PLEASES>?

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

I'm betting Ubisoft is pulling a EA here. Ubisoft and Steam started talking, someone wanted X from the other, they disagreed, now the games are pulled over a bad deal. Steam and EA had disagreements with their DLC IIRC, EA didn't like the deal at the time and pulled every game that had DLC from the Steam store, so only GOTY/Ultimate editions are available on Steam.

If this is the same situation here now with Ubisoft, we might be seeing this happen in the U.S. as well.

GG Ubisoft, best of luck with Uplay!

While it's easy to go "Ubisoft is pulling an EA" the fact that this only happened for the UK makes it seem more like some kind of disagreement between Ubisoft and Valve for that specific region. Avoiding the Holiday sale doesn't make sense either as if they wanted to do that they would either simply not put the games on sale or pull them from Amazon as well and do it worldwide. It should be noted that Ubi said "for the time being" which makes it sound like the games will be back up on Steam once the two companies reach some agreement.

I'm betting Ubisoft is pulling a EA here. Ubisoft and Steam started talking, someone wanted X from the other, they disagreed, now the games are pulled over a bad deal. Steam and EA had disagreements with their DLC IIRC, EA didn't like the deal at the time and pulled every game that had DLC from the Steam store, so only GOTY/Ultimate editions are available on Steam.

If this is the same situation here now with Ubisoft, we might be seeing this happen in the U.S. as well.

GG Ubisoft, best of luck with Uplay!

EA didn't pull games from Steam, Valve did. It wasn't a disagreement some much that it was Valve changing their policy on DLC sales. Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2 sold DLC through different sources and EA already had other agreements in place and other things set up. Both games were pulled right after new bits of DLC appeared for them as at that point they violated Valve's rule that DLC must be sold through Steam, even if it's also sold elsewhere.

You people seriously believe that if Steam no longer sells Ass Creed that the game won't be sold? Get real guys...Origin happening did not hurt sales of Battlefield 4 in any significant way, if sales were hurt it was due to the pisspoor state the game was in at launch. It only increased their revenue by 30% (steam's cut) - costs of own platform. Which i'm assuming outweighs steam's take on their products.

And honestly, i'm not sure what the big deal is here. Don't they have the right to decide for themselves which way they distribute their digital media? I think we're getting a little over-entitled here.

No, not really, as I said, they will sell truckloads of copies anyway, so losing a few sales to steam should not really concern them, they will make fuckloads of cash, they could at least try and help PC gamers by releasing the game on the most popluar store

I try not to have games on UPLAY because I am not a fan of client, Ubisoft lately have been annoying PC gamers,.... they should be doing everything in their power to help us, not hinder us from purchasing it

ALso this is ONLY in the UK... why are we being singled out? everyone else can buy it from Steam, yet I cant? thats really annoying, all my other Assasins Creed games are on steam

These games were pulled from Steam MONTHS ago... They did it because GAME has some sort of deal with Ubi for preorders.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/2cewo4/assassins_creed_unity_and_far_cry_4_both_removed/ 

It's not. They've done this every time since AC3. It has to do with GAME pressuring them because digital pre-purchase hurts their business and Ubisoft will do anything for cash. It will either reappear just bfore release (as AC4) or it will be back up after release by like a week or two like AC3. I know this because I have AC3 on Uplay only and didn't want to pay twice when it was back on Steam a week or so later.

So can we in the UK expect Ubisoft to remove their recent games from Steam before seasonal sales, not do mid week madness or dev sales if they even make it to Steam? Or more likely is this a trial to see how their UK sales fare this year compared to last on PC? I suspect there will be a small dip but not enough as you have to to go through Uplay anyway, if they did this the US the dip in sales might be enough to slow Ubisoft's eventual decision to stop working with Steam full stop like EA hence why it is in the UK.

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

Anyway, you can use a VPN to visit a foreign Steam site and buy the game then. Apparently, that works.