Broadwell only 3% faster than Haswell

BiG StroOnZ

Also there could be a HT dual core on the very low end and they could eliminate pure dual cores from the product stack completely and send a message to the industry saying that the age of the dual core min is over

Yeah but academia and corporate computers with thin client needs will still want celerons and Pentiums. Intel still needs a way to sell the defective I3s where HT is broken.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Then you would have the issue of i5s matching the i7 in most applications. I think the only real step forward is for the 1150 i7 to become a 6 core with HT and the i5 to be one without. The have the 2 lower 2011 chips as HT 8 cores or an 8 and a 10 even if the give them the full 40 pice lanes and on the very top have a 12 core HT monster of an EE chip. Under all this you could have the i3 as a true quad core with either an unlocked version or an unlocked quad core pentium

I think it's fine if the top-end i5 matches a midrange i7 post-overclocking... They can just make up for it by having lower stock and boost clocks and maybe less PCI lanes...

1150 should be on it's way out by Broadwell...

Also there could be a HT dual core on the very low end and they could eliminate pure dual cores from the product stack completely and send a message to the industry saying that the age of the dual core min is over

Dual cores should have been out of the market by 2010...

Yeah but academia and corporate computers with thin client needs will still want celerons and Pentiums. Intel still needs a way to sell the defective I3s where HT is broken.

Sell them as new Atoms/Celerons?

The hypothetical HT dual core would would be a pentium/celeron tier product. Maybe you could have something under that that is a pure dual core

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

The GPU improvements really are palpable though. HD 5300 is holding its own against 4600 handily even at a 500 MHz disadvantage in the lowest TDP chip (3.5 watts for crying out loud). Intel increased throughput to compute units by shaving the number of EUs from each subslice from 10 to 8 and adding a 3rd subslice so as to provide more data buses. throughput went way up in addition to general architectural improvements. Iris Pro 6200 is gonna be hella fun. Now if only Intel would release socketable E3 Xeons with Iris Pro on them... Entry-level workstation people would love them, and it would open up market access while really pressuring AMD and Nvidia to lower FirePro and Quadro prices for the lowest 3 models.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The hypothetical HT dual core would would be a pentium/celeron tier product. Maybe you could have something under that that is a pure dual core

Yeah, the Celeron.

Not surprising, intel has no competition.

I'm just hoping for AMD to have something to make intel shit their pants, specifically, if they can get an APU up to standard of an entry level discrete card + FX 8300+ series, however, at the rate they are going, when it comes out, cannon lake will be the next ivy bridge.

fx 6300 - sapphire dual x r9 270x - Zalman z9 - Evga 500B - Cooler master hyper TX3 - Win. 8.1 - Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2.0 - Crucial ballstix sport 8gb (2x4) - WD blue 1TB - some random optical drive for 11$

Skylake is 1151 iirc...

I'll be waiting on a Broadwell unlocked Pentium or unlocked i5 (whichever my budget by December 2015 meets)...

Edit: Hopefully they'll introduce a quad core Pentium that costs as much as an i3 just to mess with the market...

the unlocked Pentium probably won't be on broadwell since Intel did it only because it was the Pentium's 25th anniversary 

I'm really looking forward to a Broadwell powered laptop.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Then you would have the issue of i5s matching the i7 in most applications. I think the only real step forward is for the 1150 i7 to become a 6 core with HT and the i5 to be one without. The have the 2 lower 2011 chips as HT 8 cores or an 8 and a 10 even if the give them the full 40 pice lanes and on the very top have a 12 core HT monster of an EE chip. Under all this you could have the i3 as a true quad core with either an unlocked version or an unlocked quad core pentiun

if AMD comes up with something this is what will happen they will shuffle more cores down the line so that they can remain competative if the need arrives

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Sandy Bridge-E MASTER RACE.

I refuse to upgrade before the end of this decade.

Well looks like ill be hanging on to my 4770k till Skylake, was debating on whether to pickup broadwell. I mainly wanted z97 for sata express but with skylake being a different socket and broadwell only a 3% boost then i might as well bump up my overclock abit.

Well looks like ill be hanging on to my 4770k till Skylake, was debating on whether to pickup broadwell. I mainly wanted z97 for sata express but with skylake being a different socket and broadwell only a 3% boost then i might as well bump up my overclock abit.

Haswell should last you clear through Cannonlake. Why do people insist on a 3-year upgrade cycle? Q9550 to 4960X was my jump. I expect that to last me to Cannonlake at a minimum.

So I upgraded to a dead platform for support of a CPU that I thought was going to bring substantial gains in performance?

Had I known that, I would have kept my Z87 board.  :(

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

So I upgraded to a dead platform for support of a CPU that I thought was going to bring substantial gains in performance?

Had I known that, I would have kept my Z87 board.  :(

Depending on the overclockability of Broadwell, it could still be worth it.

Haswell should last you clear through Cannonlake. Why do people insist on a 3-year upgrade cycle? Q9550 to 4960X was my jump. I expect that to last me to Cannonlake at a minimum.

Simply i like new tech, more or less I want newer features, sata express is a huge  feature that i want on a new system since I have an ITX build I  cant just add a card, my only PCI slot is filled with a 780TI. The Q9550 was a beast of a chip, im using two of its bigger brothers in my home server/ game server QX 9775s in a skulltrail system. The skulltrail was something I drooled about when I had my first pc that I build with the Core 2 Wolfdale cpus. So nowadays I like to keep the top of the line parts and then cycle my  older gear into small servers or into family/friends PCs.

Though I like upgrading there s no point to getting a 9xx series gpu or a  broadwell as the performance gains are in the single % marks. Even though I like the features they are far too similar in raw power compared to my current system.

Simply i like new tech, more or less I want newer features, sata express is a huge  feature that i want on a new system since I have an ITX build I  cant just add a card, my only PCI slot is filled with a 780TI. The Q9550 was a beast of a chip, im using two of its bigger brothers in my home server/ game server QX 9775s in a skulltrail system. The skulltrail was something I drooled about when I had my first pc that I build with the Core 2 Wolfdale cpus. So nowadays I like to keep the top of the line parts and then cycle my  older gear into small servers or into family/friends PCs.

Though I like upgrading there s no point to getting a 9xx series gpu or a  broadwell as the performance gains are in the single % marks. Even though I like the features they are far too similar in raw power compared to my current system.

Why do you want SATA express?! It's a useless standard that wastes space. M.2 and PCIe need to take off and we need SATA 4 back on the same size port as SATA 3.

Why do you want SATA express?! It's a useless standard that wastes space. M.2 and PCIe need to take off and we need SATA 4 back on the same size port as SATA 3.

M.2 wont fit on an ITX board, no physical space without a special riser card that has to be implemented by the board manufacturer (ASUS is the only one that seems to have the idea with the power delievery on their higher end boards on  a dedicated PCB riser), sata express despite being an obese connector still takes less space and offers faster transfer rate compared to SATA 3. Hoestely I think that they  should make a breakout board connector for ITX machines a tiny PCB  with m.2 connectors that you could simply velcro to the side of  your case and connect to the motherboard with a sata style cable.

I like ITX builds as I move around alot and I find desktop replacements far too expensive and less versatile then a tiny desktop.

M.2 wont fit on an ITX board, no physical space without a special riser card that has to be implemented by the board manufacturer (ASUS is the only one that seems to have the idea with the power delievery on their higher end boards on  a dedicated PCB riser), sata express despite being an obese connector still takes less space and offers faster transfer rate compared to SATA 3. Hoestely I think that they  should make a breakout board connector for ITX machines a tiny PCB  with m.2 connectors that you could simply velcro to the side of  your case and connect to the motherboard with a sata style cable.

I like ITX builds as I move around alot and I find desktop replacements far too expensive and less versatile then a tiny desktop.

Um, what? I know of 3 ITX boards with 3 PCIe slots. There's enough room to fit a mid-length on some boards.

I'm just hoping for AMD to have something to make intel shit their pants, specifically, if they can get an APU up to standard of an entry level discrete card + FX 8300+ series, however, at the rate they are going, when it comes out, cannon lake will be the next ivy bridge.

They might be able to pull something off on the performance side, but I doubt they will ever compete on power consumption. Same goes for their GPU's when comparing them to Nvidia.

Um, what? I know of 3 ITX boards with 3 PCIe slots. There's enough room to fit a mid-length on some boards.

ummmm PCIe? All itx have one of them it is in the spec. Im talking about M.2 slots for SSDs on ITX, the slot you  use  for networking/ storage interface, the only one that I know of that has a M. on a riser is the ROG impact but  I think that slot is taken by the default wireless card.

Haswell and Broadwell are 1150, Skylake and Cannonlake are 1151.

Also, this test is a bit flawed. I'll wait for more.

Ugh I just realized what Intel is doing

Sandy and Ivy BRIDGE

HasWELL and broadWELL

SkyLAKE and cannonLAKE

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

and this is why I have an i5 3570k. Similar processing power, less monies to spend.

edit: I don't really want to spend more £££ on a new mobo and CPU.

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

ilvxis.jpg

Due to varying results and clock frequencies our focus today is a quick look at three test suites that provide consistent numbers. The data presented for Broadwell is the median of at least eleven runs for each test.

The figures show relatively small differences, where Broadwell is up three percent faster when the frequencies normalized. This is slightly lower than what Intel promised of just over five percent. It is worth mentioning that Intel's figure is based on a myriad of different scenarios, where the company, for example, talks about major improvements in particular, cryptography and virtualization.

What can be ascertained is that Broadwell means a smaller step forward at the same clock speed as Haswell and that any performance lift instead of waiting, mainly from higher frequencies, when the architecture well find their way into the notebook segment, and finally finds into desktop computers.

Source: http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/19566-snabbtitt-intel-broadwell-mot-haswell-prestanda-vid-samma-klockfrekvens

Translated Source

Yet again, another flammin' copy and paste news post. *sigh*

post-14986-0-26837800-1415256848.jpg

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator