Poll would you rather gpu or cpu performance to increase exponentially in the next 5 years?

LemonSpice

gpu, most core2 quads if not all won't bottleneck a gtx 970 if my old computer is anything to go by

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It's the GPU mostly, if we are considering RAW power increase.

CPU's will only increase the number of cores it has and significantly lower the TDP so that it can be used in smaller form factor computers (or computing devices). They will not exactly become more powerful, but I've yet to see decent apps that can take advantage of all the power from a Phenom 1045t, let alone core ix series.

The poll should also include APU's as well, because like it or not this is where we are heading. Cheap GPU's with decent performance, integrated in the CPU die that will consume less power and have decent performance.

cpu. i would love a 64 core 10ghz amd cpu with a tdp of 1000w :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Refused to vote due to lack of a "both" option.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Check Pascal and Volta :P

No more PCI-e. But NVLink with biggest bus, and alot of Vram with 3Dstacked memory, and high performing GPU cores  :D  insane GPU, but not sure about the price might be the same :(

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @4.5Ghz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 | Cooler : Cryorig R1 Ultimate | Ram: 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 2-Way SLi | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo / 4x2TB Caviar Black | PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 | Windows 7 64-bit  | Case: Enthoo Pro | オール・イズ・バニッティー (all is vanity)

If you work hard, you can make your own Luck.

I don't really care much about the GPU side. Ever since the release of Nehalem, CPUs have been incredibly stagnant in terms of performance, giving us only marginal increases with each iteration. Getting performance jumps similar to the ones 10 years ago would be awesome. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

im for gpu and cpu's becoming one thing

I'm not for one reason and one only.. You cannot upgrade them separately.

Now I'd say GPUs need to be upgraded as it seems we're pushing for a new standard resolution and the GPUs are chugging along to run games at 4K on low to medium..

From a video editor and photo editor, CPU as they need quite a bit of power to get up and go smoothly with editing them. My Xeon has some trouble at 4K, little stutters, but sometimes takes a huge hit here and there.

Guess it depends where you're looking at it from... I'm with the GPU part as gamers and livestreamers would be glad to adopt 4K if it's able to run. Now I wouldn't watch a 4K stream as my internet is horrible and my monitor is only built for 1080p, but still be cool to see. :)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Well... I'd be nice to see a better CPU...
Why? Since we ahve APU already I guess that in few years time we'll be able to get a decent 1080p out of them and setting them in SLI/Cross of whatever with rest of the cards.

And @Darkman I don't know where exactly I heard about it, but it's actually possible to reprogram the GPU processor, so that it could work as a CPU unit with high bandwidth. But I'm not now certain where was that info on the net...
But just imagine 3 TiTanZ being your "CPU"... lolz.

Well... I'd be nice to see a better CPU...

Why? Since we ahve APU already I guess that in few years time we'll be able to get a decent 1080p out of them and setting them in SLI/Cross of whatever with rest of the cards.

And @Darkman I don't know where exactly I heard about it, but it's actually possible to reprogram the GPU processor, so that it could work as a CPU unit with high bandwidth. But I'm not now certain where was that info on the net...

But just imagine 3 TiTanZ being your "CPU"... lolz.

The GPU processor is literally another processor stuck onto the die. It can be used for many things such as audio decoding while streaming instead of sitting doing absolutely nothing. Also, if you tried that where you would reprogram it to be a different GPU. It probably would be VERY limited as if it came as a R7 260 and it could be upgraded to a 280 the price would be higher since it would support the 280s power..

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

i would love for both to increase exponentially but im more of a gamer so normally i would say GPU but im slowly transitioning to game development so i would really love for both.

GPU... Obviously because current gen GPU can barely even run 4k gaming , let alone any higher res.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

GPUs are clearly lacking a lot of power since the releases of Crysis 1-3 and they still are.

who cares...

cpu. i would love a 64 core 10ghz amd cpu with a tdp of 1000w :P

Wait until you burn your house down with that and report back.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

No option to vote for both?

Shared cores for GPU and CPU operations... (If someone can make it possible)...

So you've got many powerful cores to handle all the calculations instead of having many less-powerful cores for GPU, and few more-powerful cores for CPU...

I'm conflicted here.

On one hand, I would like GPU performance to grow exponentially, because of the raw compute power that they have, but, on the other hand, I would also like to see CPUs with the same compute power of current GPUs.

Ignoring their applications for compute, most programs only use the CPU, so boosting CPU power would increase performance across the board in everyday use.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

i voted CPU. We already know that GPU power is going to keep increasing fast; AMD and nvidia always deliver on graphics with each new gen delivering gains. But CPUs have been stagnant for a while

GPU. The only thing limiting CPUs nowadays is software limitations and unoptimized APIs. In a few years time, with Mantle and DX12 will fix that, making bottlenecking a thing of the past.

[witty signature]

From a personal gaming perspective GPU for sure.  However on the larger scale CPU is more important and GPU power is irrelevant for the most part. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

As a gamer, I would love to see an increase in the performance of GPUs. Even running a Phenom II x4 965 (overclocked to 4.0Ghz mind you) which is 3-4 years old, I'm still bottlenecked by my R9 290. And with 4k starting to roll out, GPUs are going to need the boost more than ever.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

As a gamer, I would love to see an increase in the performance of GPUs. Even running a Phenom II x4 965 (overclocked to 4.0Ghz mind you) which is 3-4 years old, I'm still bottlenecked by my R9 290. And with 4k starting to roll out, GPUs are going to need the boost more than ever.

This.  Most games are so GPU-bound it's not even funny, even just at 1080p.  Even the few that aren't sure will be at 4K.

I'd like APUs more than anything else. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

CPU: I don't see myself gaming on 3 times 4K or really anything above 4K.

I just want everything to be FASTER.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

CPU if it means actual exponential growth. 

That would mean say a phone with a CPU as powerful as a laptop. 

Of course it will never happen

don't kill my dreams of bf8 in 8k on my iphone 10!!!!!!