MSI laptop with REAL cherry mechanical keyboard

Nagby

well i think it would look a bit less ugly without the heavy backlighting, otherwise it is fairly "flat"

Imagine walking around with a 4.5kg laptop.

I feel this is completely pointless, and strangely it reminds me off one of these beast looking laptops.

I want that!! what is it?! 

Op about time they have done this they always boast about steelseries keyboard ive always wondered what a mechanical keyboard would look like in a laptop lol

I think cherry or someone needs to make a new switch design that can be made thin. Or something that gives a good amount of travel while still being thin. Sure its difficult, but there must be some way to do it.

Current Designs of cherry switches seem like they can be improved a bit to me. I might be wrong but there has to be a way...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Pretty much giving up every design and visual aspect to just insert a mechanical keyboard.... I'd much prefer a normal laptop. The fact that they didn't find a way to just make a thin mechanical keyboard to me means that they haven't really thought about this correctly.

I think cherry or someone needs to make a new switch design that can be made thin. Or something that gives a good amount of travel while still being thin. Sure its difficult, but there must be some way to do it.

Current Designs of cherry switches seem like they can be improved a bit to me. I might be wrong but there has to be a way...

i tryed to do this here : https://grabcad.com/library/cherry-tetra-keyboard-idea-1

or another possibility is tactile keys but with haptic feedback which then can be very thin (i think synaptics is doing something like that)

I believe the reason it looks like this is that the mechanical keyboard has pretty long travel distance, it takes up almost all the height of the laptop

so the other components are packed under the plain area

It is a 980M SLI machine so it's gonna be quite warm

You don't want the wrist rest to be warm

plus, 18 inch screen is quite large

the keyboard being further away from the screen seems to be more comfortable to use

5cm thick?! Lol!

Isn't that right? 10mm in 1cm? /selfcheck

I'd rather use my 22mm thick MSI GS70 that already has a Steelseries mechanical keyboard, albeit not a "full" one.

I have never been a fan of desktop replacement laptops like this. They are very big and heavy and I am lazy. I would rather have a dedicated desktop PC and a smaller lightweight albeit lower performance laptop for mobility. That's just me though.

I wonder what switches it has? Probably reds.

well i think it would look a bit less ugly without the heavy backlighting, otherwise it is fairly "flat"

I seriously just tried to whip a bug off my screen before realizing that it's in your profile pic lol :D

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Kinda looks idiotic, but if you really need a mechanical keyboard in your laptop at least there's an option.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I wonder what switches it has? Probably reds.

it has brown switches

it has brown switches

Hey! I like that more than reds!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Just..no. All that wasted space.

Been around since the beginning of LTT & the forums, but mostly just lurk!

I need someone to buy this, open it and tell me what's in all that space because I refuse to believe they just felt like leaving half the top of the laptop empty.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

as the person from MSI in the original news said, yeah, but what would you use that space for then?

I need someone to buy this, open it and tell me what's in all that space because I refuse to believe they just felt like leaving half the top of the laptop empty.

the actual hardware and cooling over it

as the person from MSI in the original news said, yeah, but what would you use that space for then?

The best speaker system a laptop has seen :P

the actual hardware and cooling over it

I guess it can't be evened out throughout the entire body since everything under the keyboard must be taken up. Makes sense.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

apparently the audio takes some space, but not more than the other MSI gaming series laptops

so i guess it will mostly be room for an SLI and heavy cooling

What's up with all that unused space?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Not a huge fan of it, but kudos to MSI for trying something different.

Who the hell is this for though?

for peoples who can't live without mechanical kb i'd say

dang! that's ugly!  :blink:

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

so much wasted space...

It's not wasted if you want a keyboard that does not feel like shit.

Stickers. :P

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...