MSI laptop with REAL cherry mechanical keyboard

Nagby

I wish my budget would allow me to buy this :D i hate laptop keyboards with a burning passion

The sad thing is cherry makes flatter laptop switches....coulda used that

do you mean the ones they used on other MSI gaming laptops or real mecha?

i didn't know they made different height ones

not necessarily, it could still be like it is. The screen could be raised up a bit and given a bezel that sticks out to close it all off whenever you close the lid

here is a schema explaining that it won't do (side view)                                                 -be missing

capture_by_nagby_d84jo2z_by_nagby-d84jqr

This looks strange. I likey. Though, are there pictures of the laptop folded up?

nope, only 1 pic and the few specs i wrote on the first post are known, just also probably will have an SLI of 980M and be starting over 3k but thats not 100% sure

A laptop with a window and a black pcb would be awsome!!

images_by_nagby-d84joaw.jpg

I'd actually go for a whole touch keyboard... 

you mean like a tactile screen? this wouldn't have any feel unlike mech keyboard

maybe haptic technologies could bring that feel to flat tactile area thought, but not for now

I would have preferred they at least tried to make custom mechanical switches that are thinner rather than just plunking Cherry switches in and moving stuff around until it "works". I don't know exactly how difficult it is to make that change, maybe it's actually physically impossible, but Cherry switches weren't designed for laptops and this is just proof that they don't belong on laptops.

But at least they tried something new. Also, I really wish more laptops had a touchpad more to the right than the left. I know that "centered relative to the typing position" is best for avoiding accidental palm bumps, but for the few games that are playable with a touchpad it only becomes that much more uncomfortable when you have to cram both hands onto the left half of the laptop to do so.

There must be a more compact way to do mechanical keys on a laptop... MX swiches aren't exactly shallow. In fact, Cherry's own ML line-up is a lot lower profile, and also has an audible click like the blues, which are the best.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Eurgh, that's awful on every aspect.

Just get a normal laptop with a tenkeyless keyboard that can slide into a backpack.

vhsqov.png

There must be a more compact way to do mechanical keys on a laptop... MX swiches aren't exactly shallow. In fact, Cherry's own ML line-up is a lot lower profile, and also has an audible click like the blues, which are the best.

yes there is ML switches, but MX are more "popular", and for the fact that thet switches will be customizable, MX have way more options avaible (

)

Eurgh, that's awful on every aspect.

Just get a normal laptop with a tenkeyless keyboard that can slide into a backpack.

vhsqov.png

it's still easier to have the keyboard here ready to work over than a separated part that you have to plug and manage it's wire and find a place to put it

It just looks weird and bulky in my opinion. It doesn't look like there's a trackpad either making for a very bad experience.

Unless you're coding on a console/terminal all the time this just makes absolutely no sense. And even then, why ? xD

Awesome. This probably won't be mainstream anytime soon, but it's good to see MSI experimenting with the concept at least.

Hopefully, this will NEVER be mainstream :D It looks hideous!

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Hopefully, this will NEVER be mainstream :D It looks hideous!

Although this implementation is definitely hideous; that doesn't mean every implementation will be as bad. I just appreciate that they are trying to cater to people who won't settle for anything less than a mechanical keyboard.

Source

First of all, damn this laptop looks weird, There's a hybrid touchpad next to the keyboard, which functions as a number pad too, and it seems like the whole keyboard including the power button(s) is moved down, leaving a pretty much useless space above the keyboard.

What is interesting, is the fact that this keyboard has actual Cherry MX Brown switches, making this the first laptop in the world to include a mechanical keyboard, as far as i know.

The laptop has a 18.4 inch screen, and probably  a 1920x1080p resolution.

The laptop weighs about 4.5Kg, making this a pretty heavy device.

Thickness will be almost 5 centimeters thick, 49.1mm to be exact, but hey, what do you expect from a laptop with a Cherry mechanical keyboard :P

The pricing and exact specifications will be revealed at the official launch.

MSI-GT80-Titan-e1414668371426.jpg

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

That's amazing.

And stupid at the same time

I'll take 10

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Great Scott Marty! It's the early 2000's all over again!

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Ugly as hell, expensive as hell, but probably won't even perform half as well as a desktop equivalent, and that keyboard probably is some kind of mushy compromise that's neither nor. 

Sometimes I just wonder what goes on in the heads of the people in these companies.

Not my thing. I'll take a mITX or just a lighter laptop any day. 

EDIT: OK, maybe I was a little too harsh on this. I'll keep my opinions mum until it's actually released. 

My build: tis be ordered

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Ugly as hell, expensive as hell, but probably won't even perform half as well as a desktop equivalent, and that keyboard probably is some kind of mushy compromise that's neither nor. 

Sometimes I just wonder what goes on in the heads of the people in these companies.

Define "desktop equivalent." You mean in terms of price?

How can they use compromised switches? They are either CherryMX or they are not. Of course they perform half as well as a desktop of the same price it is a laptop. Just because you don't want something doesn't make it a bad product.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

It's either cherry MX switches or it's not

The 980m is only slightly behind it's desktop counterpart, two 980m would crush a 980 for sure.

To each their own

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I really don't know. I was really looking forward to the GS60 Ghost previously, but that's had numerous complaints on quality control, especially with the keyboard, trackpad, and overall build quality. It's an ambitious attempt for sure. If MSI perfectly pulls it off, with top of the line performance, I guess it isn't so bad. But I just don't think everything's gonna be butter-smooth in here. 

My build: tis be ordered

quad ssd in raid 0, and SLI GTX 980s... it will certainly perform pretty amazingly... and its made by cherry.. so it uses full proper cherry board and keycaps....

its a desktop replacmenet, something sorely lacking atm :)

I am almost tempted to check it out when it comes... replace my m18x

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii