Does such a device exist?

Infernofight
Go to solution Solved by QueenDemetria,

Its just integrated audio. Definitely more inclined to buy a soundcard now though.

Its not a bad idea if you want better audio(for the qualities of the audio), but it won't be needed for what you want to do. VLC has a volume normalization feature built into it. Its in Tools>Preferences>Audio and under effects. VLC is free.

Edit: You can get VLC from here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Is there such a device or software that can maintain or limit the decibel output of the speakers?

For example, I hate it when I am watching a movie and I have to turn up the volume because its a quiet scene or something. But as soon as an action scene breaks out with music and explosions its louder than I want. I know it's supposed to be part of the experience but its annoying when I am just watching a movie alone at night and don't want to wake anyone (or wear headphones).

I know (actually I think) there are compressors for the people recording the audio so things don't get too loud no matter how hard they are playing an instrument or loud they are talking. But does something exist where I can run some software or plug in a device so that I can turn up the volume so I can hear the quiet scenes but not have it blaring when things get loud?

Some music playback software has normalization for that kind of thing in songs (and it works, songs like soml drive me nuts regarding the sudden volume increases). I don't know of any video playback software that does this but there must be one.

"Rawr XD"

Its called volume normalization and some sound cards or high-end motherboards have it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Its called volume normalization and some sound cards or high-end motherboards have it.

Ah okay. Do some DACs and amps have it? Or is it mainly a software thing?

What soundcard do you have? I know Soundblasters and Xonars have this feature.

Its just integrated audio. Definitely more inclined to buy a soundcard now though.

Its not a bad idea if you want better audio(for the qualities of the audio), but it won't be needed for what you want to do. VLC has a volume normalization feature built into it. Its in Tools>Preferences>Audio and under effects. VLC is free.

I've used VLC before but never knew it had that feature. Works pretty well, thanks!