How do you explain your headphone obsession?

dylan43270

I would not say that I am obsessed with buying headphones, but I have a strong desire to try out and have many different headphones. I have gotten by with the money spending to my girlfriend by saying that they are cheaper than her shoes, and that they have more use. However my friend just simply does not understand that you cannot just have one pair of headphones for everything. I tried to explain to him that you use different headphones for different things, but he then got it in his head that I am going to buy a pair of headphones for every genre of music.

Here is my headphones:

ATH-M50 (Modded to have detachable cable) = got them from trading my HyperX Clouds. They are the headphones that I have found that I use most often since they sound good for being a closed headphone, but the pads are underwhelming.

CHC SIlverados = my newest pair of headphones. Got them to get them before they are gone for good, as they are awesome build quality. Going to use them as my headphones for passively isolating sound.

Pioneer SE-A1000 = My overall favorite pair of headphones. Would wear them all of the time if I was not constantly in a noisy environment. They are the most comfy, and the best sound quality in my opinion.

Panasonic HTF600 = I generally use these for gaming as they are semi open and produce pretty decent sound quality and bass. they are almost as big of workhorses as my M50s.

SoundMAGIC E10 with Comply Tips = I use these for taking into to work as they are my IEMs.

These seem justified to me but he is the kind of person that uses a cheap gaming headset as his only pair of headphones. How could I explain this in a way that he would understand?

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Headphones have more use than shoes? Haha.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Headphones have more use than shoes? Haha.

It is more reasonable to have 5 pairs of headphones compared to 20 pairs of shoes.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Tell him you use a different pair depending on your mood... It's something to maintain the emotions... (I have 3 earphones, 1 headphones, and I'm saving up for a second pair of headphones... Each with its own unique sound signature...)

As long as he doesnt try them, he wont understand. And maybe even then he wont get it, somethings arent not meant for everyone.

That being said, when i've a job ill buy several headphones just cause

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

O.o simple I don't have a headphone obsession

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Easy peasy.

People spend thousands on gaming PCs that have the be replaced every few years. Here I can get top of the line stuff for like 1k and I don't have to replace it. Get a job and stop being poor.

Still, at the end of the day, I don't care if other people find my opinions to be unjustified.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Different headphones from different manufacturers will usually show differences in sound signature, comfort, weight and size (Pretty important for people on the go), and usability (It's usually not recommended to use an HD600 in the train). So there's one way to justify multiple cans/buds (IEMs can be surprisingly different when comparing differing types). This also means that headphones will perform better or worse in certain scenarios in differing ways to others in those same scenarios (Quick Example: An AD700X won't sound as punchy as an Urbanite, but the Urbanite will have better bass. Similarly, the Urbanite will not have as wide a soundstage as an AD700X, which would give the AD700X an edge in gaming or sound identification use cases.)

In this case, Headphones become akin to wine and liquor. Different tastes and characteristics will serve different scenarios better than the others.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

I have two headphones and one headset (Senn HD555, a recently acquired ATH-AD700X and a HX Cloud) and I am pretty happy with the choices I've made. Have also added to my IEM collection by getting a JVC HA-FXZ100 (have an Ety ER-6 and a Shure SE215) as well as scoring a Klipsch M40 (already have a Klipsch Image One BT) which I'll be getting in a day or two. 

As for this cans obsession you have, well, there are worse obsessions to have so in the grand scheme of things, yours is nothing to worry about. No need to explain or justify your obsession (wouldn't even call it that, it's more to do with 'appreciation' than 'obsession'). ;)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Explaining a hobby,  or worse, an obsession, to someone who doesn't share the same thing is kinda hard, so you might want to save your breath, actually. Most of my friends still can comprehend the need to spend more than $100 for a headphone. 

I used to want to have and collect multiple headphones. But after a while (and judging by my wallet's size), I thought it's better to keep (and use) 1 better headphone, than a few of mediocre headphones. What I meant is, it's better for me to have, for example, 1 good $500 headphone, then 5 mediocre $100 headphones. That's just me though, and I do understand if somebody like to have multiple headphones for collection. 

My original ideas were to get one better headphone instead of a few cheaper ones or getting a cheap one to start out only to upgrade later on. It still makes perfect sense, but of course once you've already hit TOTL stuff, there's not much left apart from getting other headphones or just sticking with one. I don't really collect headphones for the sake of it.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I would like to try stuff, but I don't see myself collecting headphones. I have M50's, SRH440's, CHC Silverado's, Pioneer SE-A1000's, Sennheiser PC360's and a pair of JBL J33 IEM's. I want to try planars, high end AKG things like the Q701, and better IEM's, my first thought is anything with a cable that goes around the ear. but I do believe I have what I want to have right now, now if only I had more Comply tips for my J33's. been broke for a month or two, so can't order any yet.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

At TS, let me say this again, what you have is a hobby or an appreciation of headphones, not an obsession at all. Wanna talk about obsession? Check out the pic below and thank your lucky stars you ain't got an obsession. ;)

keyboardboxes_zps9a6d858f.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

At TS, let me say this again, what you have is a hobby or an appreciation of headphones, not an obsession at all. Wanna talk about obsession? Check out the pic below and thank your lucky stars you ain't got an obsession. ;)

Took this before the peak of my collection, though I've sold off/gifted away all in this pic but the 650's.

Headphones

Took this before the peak of my collection, though I've sold off/gifted away all in this pic but the 650's.

U got rid of ur 612?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089