Playing around with Modern UI...

Toby

A little while ago I came across SubTract's "What Modern UI should've been" and decided to experiment with my ideas for Modern UI. This is the initial result.

Background 1

Background 2

The idea was to add more interactivity, utility and information to the tiles. If anyone's ever delved deep into WoW add-ons, you'll know the mindset I was coming from. Everything is modular.

The aesthetics are just an example. I believe every tile should be individually customizable in regards to hue, saturation, brightness and opacity, while customizable backgrounds are supposedly arriving in Windows 8.1...I just figured the transparent white was fitting for "Windows".

I'd like to know your thoughts, or if there's any tiles/widget ideas you'd like to see. Hopefully this lets you see what Modern UI would look like with smaller/larger tiles, what else might be possible and perhaps what shouldn't be possible (I can't say I'm happy with the Steam/Chrome text links, myself).

Edit: How is this not tech related?

I think that looks awesome. If Windows 8.1 brought that in I'd totally upgrade. I think it's a great new way to view information and I think there could be a ton of cool new uses for it, sadly I can't think of any because I'm not the most creative guy :P I'm loving that file manager on the side though.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

It looks really good, honestly if they added support for stuff like that in the service pack, I'll love W8 even more than I already do

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

It looks really good, honestly if they added support for stuff like that in the service pack, I'll love W8 even more than I already do

I wish. Only downside of doing this is tempting myself with things that'll never exist.

Is that a Photoshop edit or have you made it with something like rainmeter? I reckon you could make that exact desktop with a bit of rainmeter fiddling, give or take a bit.

HTTP/2 203

9e9.gif

Way better than Modern UI

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Is that a Photoshop edit or have you made it with something like rainmeter? I reckon you could make that exact desktop with a bit of rainmeter fiddling, give or take a bit.

Just a Photoshop mock-up, hence the reason I'm looking for more ideas to incorporate.

I wish. Only downside of doing this is tempting myself with things that'll never exist.

Well, you have a point

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"