LGA775 Core2Duo, Core2Quad OVERCLOCKING guide

harrynowl

I'm not using matching RAM (except the Team kit which is in proper dual channel), I just made sure that each stick was able to run at the same voltage as the others, and that the base frequency was the same.

Well, as long as they're 800MHz, i'm all go for it. I only have 2 sticks at dual channel running at half their 800MHz speeds.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Well, as long as they're 800MHz, i'm all go for it. I only have 2 sticks at dual channel running at half their 800MHz speeds.

Make sure that you get ones with heatspreaders, I need to run my rig with only 4GB of RAM due to lack of cooling on one of the 2GB modules.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Make sure that you get ones with heatspreaders, I need to run my rig with only 4GB of RAM due to lack of cooling on one of the 2GB modules.

Why so? Mine are running at 800Mhz without heat spreaders. They were 2GB sticks I pulled from my dad's gateway prebuilt.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Why so? Mine are running at 800Mhz without heat spreaders. They were 2GB sticks I pulled from my dad's gateway prebuilt.

Yes they run at 800MHz stock, but when the FSB is hitting 500MHz, you really want RAM that can dissipate the extra heat.

PMSL

Yes they run at 800MHz stock, but when the FSB is hitting 500MHz, you really want RAM that can dissipate the extra heat.

Well' they're technically fine as they are.

hey, thanks for this guide.

i don't have the gears for overclocking more recent cpus.

but there are lots of 775 pieces here which are very cheap.

looking forward to playing with these using your guide

hey, thanks for this guide.

i don't have the gears for overclocking more recent cpus.

but there are lots of 775 pieces here which are very cheap.

looking forward to playing with these using your guide

let me know how you get on :)

Lol, go to a local computer store/repair shop and ask if they have any second hand DDR2 RAM. I was able to get a stick of 2GB kingston HyperX 800MHz for $1, kingmax 800MHz RAM (no heat spreader) for 50c, and I had a friend give me a kit of 2x1GB Xtreem Dark Team Group Inc RAM for nothing (only been using it for 2 months since I found out where I had put it).

watda..

2gb ddr2 800mhz here costs 15-18$ (after conversion)

watda..

2gb ddr2 800mhz here costs 15-18$ (after conversion)

Lol, as I said I just went into the local computer store (they actually prefer to fix computer's than sell parts). They had a ton of stuff that they were going to toss because they no longer needed it. I even picked up a shopping bag full of working IDE HDD for $40 (80-250GB which is useless since the computers I intended to put them in only take up to 40GBs, but hey $40 for a bag of them is a good deal that I wasn't going to turn down)

PMSL

Thanks for the guide but having a little problem,

Got a Q8300 on a G31M-ES2L,

Once I push the FSB above 380 or so a short time after boot up the system bluesceens with (irql_gt_zero_at_system_service)

Is this a problem with too low voltage?

I don't have  a lot of the OCing options due to the chipset, but I've got a few

Thanks for the guide but having a little problem,Got a Q8300 on a G31M-ES2L,Once I push the FSB above 380 or so a short time after boot up the system bluesceens with (irql_gt_zero_at_system_service)Is this a problem with too low voltage?I don't have  a lot of the OCing options due to the chipset, but I've got a few

Well it would either be voltage or that your board is at its limit.

Does it allow for voltage control?

Thanks for the guide but having a little problem,

Got a Q8300 on a G31M-ES2L,

Once I push the FSB above 380 or so a short time after boot up the system bluesceens with (irql_gt_zero_at_system_service)

Is this a problem with too low voltage?

I don't have  a lot of the OCing options due to the chipset, but I've got a few

What's the motherboard you are using? Because that sounds like overheating VRMs. (My mobo does that with an X5450 at more than 3.25GHz/360MHz FSB)

PMSL

A gigabyte G31M-ES2L Rev 2.0

And yes it has some voltage controls

A gigabyte G31M-ES2L Rev 2.0

You have the same problem as me, the VRM is 3+1 phase like the one on my motherboard, and it doesn't have a heatsink. Unless you buy a better motherboard (think the more and bigger the heatsinks, the better the board is) you will have to make do with a lower overclock like me. (My motherboard is the Asus P5K-VM)

PMSL

You have the same problem as me, the VRM is 3+1 phase like the one on my motherboard, and it doesn't have the heatsink. Unless you buy a better motherboard (think the more and bigger the heatsinks, the better the board is) you will have to make do with a lower overclock like me. (My motherboard is the Asus P5K-VM)

Ah right, dammit, overclocking my cpu was just a nice bonus of a new cooler,

at the moment upgrading the GPU and PSU is the main priorities, but a new mobo after that should allow for a nice bit more overclock,

thanks anyway :)

Ah right, dammit, overclocking my cpu was just a nice bonus of a new cooler,

at the moment upgrading the GPU and PSU is the main priorities, but a new mobo after that should allow for a nice bit more overclock,

thanks anyway :)

No problem, I'm getting a new motherboard myself, since the current one didn't break a sweat when I had my E8500 at 4.4GHz (CPU overheated before the mobo had issues) I'm going to make a 720P killer gaming rig out of it to complement my 1080p beast (got all the parts I need except the spare mobo, and maybe some decent overclocking RAM).

PMSL

I don't think I'm overclocking my Q6600 correctly. Everybody's recording FSBs of like 800 or less, and here I am, sitting with a 1244.7MHz FSB. FFS, please tell me i'm doing something.

I don't think I'm overclocking my Q6600 correctly. Everybody's recording FSBs of like 800 or less, and here I am, sitting with a 1244.7MHz FSB. FFS, please tell me i'm doing something.

I think you may be looking at Bus speed and FSB clock. Can I have a CPU-Z?

At 500 bus I'm 2000FSB

I think you may be looking at Bus speed and FSB clock. Can I have a CPU-Z?

At 500 bus I'm 2000FSB

Here.

968cf2c996.png

That's fine Q6600 is 1066MHz by default on the FSB... Where are you reading that 800MHz stuff?

No, I just hear people saying they have 800Mhz FSBs or less.

No, I just hear people saying they have 800Mhz FSBs or less.

Some chips have 533 and 800MHz FSBs by default, but overclocking easily brings most chips 1 or more FSB steps higher

this will be a great helpo. O.o *making a q8200 build soon*

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

It seems that my old motherboard hates me. I had it pushing 1.4V to the Xeon (@ 3.9GHz), and it ran stable for 10minutes. Then the CPU overheated (even with the new liquid cooler) and throttled, followed by a BSOD and the smell of fried electronics. The CPU appears fine but I have to save up for a replacement motherboard. I'm just lucky that I got my i5 working again, and that since both motherboards are ASUS and surprisingly similar, I was literally able to switch motherboards around, plug everything into it (even though the wifi cards are pci and pcie, both have the same drivers), and boot straight to windows. Which I shouldn't have been able to do. Having fun overclocking will have to wait.

PMSL

It seems that my old motherboard hates me. I had it pushing 1.4V to the Xeon (@ 3.9GHz), and it ran stable for 10minutes. Then the CPU overheated (even with the new liquid cooler) and throttled, followed by a BSOD and the smell of fried electronics. The CPU appears fine but I have to save up for a replacement motherboard. I'm just lucky that I got my i5 working again, and that since both motherboards are ASUS and surprisingly similar, I was literally able to switch motherboards around, plug everything into it (even though the wifi cards are pci and pcie, both have the same drivers), and boot straight to windows. Which I shouldn't have been able to do. Having fun overclocking will have to wait.

I'm not surprised. At 1.4V that thing would guzzle over 200W easily.

In other news i picked up a 780I SLI board (XFX) at work today... wasn't gonna see it get thrown away when it works!