LGA775 Core2Duo, Core2Quad OVERCLOCKING guide

harrynowl

How did I not see this earlier?

your E8500 score has been beaten by prokon in the cinebench thread. also that core 2 quad looks fast :)  

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

your E8500 score has been beaten by prokon in the cinebench thread. also that core 2 quad looks fast :)  

Well I guess I need an even higher binned E8600 now don't I? I got the Q9550 to 4.4GHz stable

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Well I guess I need an even higher binned E8600 now don't I? I got the Q9550 to 4.4GHz stable

an E8400/E7600 is beating you, so you will need to find a very good one :) 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

an E8400/E7600 is beating you, so you will need to find a very good one :)

I'll get right on that ;)

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I'm running an E8400 on a EVGA 780i but at the moment I don't have a fan on the CPU so overclocking this would be a bad idea. But if I can find a all in one water unit I might dip in the O.C. but I've had this thing for almost 7 years now and it still runs just fine on stock clocks. I mainly use this PC (that im typing on) for web browsing and light gaming and the occasional video edit. Sure when I edit video it take's about 5 hours to render a Shadowplay clip it's ok cause I don't do it that often. I do love this PC and I don't think I ever toss it aside, it's the last Nvidia chip set MoBo, but if I do unplug it, I'm going to hang it on the wall.

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

overclocking back in the day was not for the weak of heart

And it was even scarier further back.

I still remember back when I had my AMD Athlon 3200+ Barton running with this crazy OCZ DDR voltage booster for my Geil Golden Dragon ram on my fluro DFI LanParty KT400A motherboard.

This was an extremely fine line to walk between just the right amount of voltage to get you that extra 50-100 mhz on the memory or a pile of dead expensive hardware. If it overvolted it killed the cpu, mobo & ram. I went through 3 cpus & 3 motherboards until I realised I was running our of money real fast. haha

Makes the core2 era look like childs play.

And it was even scarier further back.

I still remember back when I had my AMD Athlon 3200+ Barton running with this crazy OCZ DDR voltage booster for my Geil Golden Dragon ram on my fluro DFI LanParty KT400A motherboard.

This was an extremely fine line to walk between just the right amount of voltage to get you that extra 50-100 mhz on the memory or a pile of dead expensive hardware. If it overvolted it killed the cpu, mobo & ram. I went through 3 cpus & 3 motherboards until I realised I was running our of money real fast. haha

Makes the core2 era look like childs play.

That must have been a middle ground, because with any of my old slot 1 and s370 CPUs I only need to set the multiplier jumpers to the CPUs max, and increase the multiplier 1 level at a time without tweaking the voltage. 140MHz CPU Bus Speed is the limit though as the RAM is rated at 133MHz and can't handle anything except a small overclock-I have not seen any proper 140MHz or 150MHz SDRAM kits, or I'd have some pretty hefty overclocks working.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

well. at 4.65ghz I beat an FX8350 @ 5.35ghz in cinebench 11.5 + r15 (single threaded), so lga775 is still worth something :P

i did a test with my mate, he has an fx8350 4.9ghz cinebench 15r vs my i7 980x at 4.5ghz and my cpu beat his cpu by 20% single core, and 60% multicore, amd needs to step up their cpu game,

I have a test system at the office with a Core2Extreme X6800 (dual core) in it on an Asus P5N32 SLI SE deluxe board (nforce 4 SLI X16 chipset). If I'm quiet I at work I might have a play at some point, but does anyone have a guesstimate of what I could expect? I'm sort of expecting the weasy old board not to take kindly to overclocking if I'm honest, but any input would be gratefully received.

I have a test system at the office with a Core2Extreme X6800 (dual core) in it on an Asus P5N32 SLI SE deluxe board (nforce 4 SLI X16 chipset). If I'm quiet I at work I might have a play at some point, but does anyone have a guesstimate of what I could expect? I'm sort of expecting the weasy old board not to take kindly to overclocking if I'm honest, but any input would be gratefully received.

well you're unlocked so you wont run into fsb issues for the most part, given most of my conroes can do 3.6ghz+ I don't think 3.8GHz would be too tall an order :)

Hey guys!

Im really new to this and havent overclocked anything so far. But it looks really interesting. I currently own Core2Duo E4600 @ 2.4ghz on Gigabytes G33-DS3R board (chipset intel P35). I have a GTX 650 in but its bottlenecked by CPU (works on 30% in games)

so i was wondering how smart it would be to overclock this CPU by a little bit considering i have a stock cooler?

I have a pritty cool case, with my temps going around 50C under load in games. Looking at this tutorial im not sure should i push it a bit or not?

If so could you help me out and tell me what exactly should I do?

Thank you guys!

Hello Guys! I'm new in the forums, and I'd like to know your suggestions about my core 2 quad setup.

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83ghz and two 775 motherboards:

Gigabyte G41MT-S2 - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3610#ov

MSI G41M-P28 - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/G41M-P28.html#hero-overview

and rest of my pc components are:

- Intel FCLGA4-S Core 2 Extreme Reference Heatsink

- 2pcs Kingston™ HyperX Blu 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 KHX1333C9D3B1/4G

- Zalman ZM400-LE

- 1TB WD Green

- Samsung Evo 840 120gb

- Geforce GTS250 512mb GDDR3

This would be my first attempt to overclock, and I can't decide which board can produce the best results.

Also, what precautions should I do to prevent breaking any of my components?

Thanks! ^_^

Hey guys!

Im really new to this and havent overclocked anything so far. But it looks really interesting. I currently own Core2Duo E4600 @ 2.4ghz on Gigabytes G33-DS3R board (chipset intel P35). I have a GTX 650 in but its bottlenecked by CPU (works on 30% in games)

so i was wondering how smart it would be to overclock this CPU by a little bit considering i have a stock cooler?

I have a pritty cool case, with my temps going around 50C under load in games. Looking at this tutorial im not sure should i push it a bit or not?

If so could you help me out and tell me what exactly should I do?

Thank you guys!

as long as it stays under 80c under 100% load then it should be ok

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

I wonder if anyone else on the forums has overclocked a Core 2 Mobile...let alone an Extreme Edition

I wonder if anyone else on the forums has overclocked a Core 2 Mobile...let alone an Extreme Edition

I've actually got one of those somewhere, but I ripped the laptop it was in a new one.

PMSL

Hi there guys! It's my first time doing this overclocking. I used a software from Gigabyte called Easytune 6. Just wanted to ask any recommendations. I only adjusted the FSB from 333 to 400 to reach 3.2GHz but after setting it, I found out that my DRAM frequency also increased from 400 to around 480 I think. I attached some screenshots. Am I doing it right or any recommendation guys? Should it be fine, should I downclock it a little or is it still capable to go over 3.2GHz? I am just using a stock cooler with a generic power supply.

post-192073-0-30811900-1424335702.jpg

post-192073-0-90609200-1424335704.jpg

post-192073-0-55445700-1424336651.png

Hi there guys! It's my first time doing this overclocking. I used a software from Gigabyte called Easytune 6. Just wanted to ask any recommendations. I only adjusted the FSB from 333 to 400 to reach 3.2GHz but after setting it, I found out that my DRAM frequency also increased from 400 to around 480 I think. I attached some screenshots. Am I doing it right or any recommendation guys? Should it be fine, should I downclock it a little or is it still capable to go over 3.2GHz? I am just using a stock cooler with a generic power supply.

What is the rated speed of your RAM? Because that will greatly affect what overclock you can acheive. (And at your current settings it is running at 958MHz-that is high for RAM not designed to be overclocked, eg RAM without heatspreaders/heatsinks).

PMSL

@

I'm not really sure. Are you asking about the frequency? It's a PC6400 Kingston RAM @ 800MHz. 3 sticks total, 2x1GB and a 1X2GB. The single stick 2GB RAM has a modified heatspreader I think it has some sort of alloys I guess attached to it.

@

I'm not really sure. Are you asking about the frequency? It's a PC6400 Kingston RAM @ 800MHz. 3 sticks total, 2x1GB and a 1X2GB. The single stick 2GB RAM has a modified heatspreader I think it has some sort of alloys I guess attached to it.

Ok, the single 2GB will be fine (if its blue, its a HyperX stick the same as my single 2GB-hits 1066MHz with no problems), though since the other 2 don't have a heatspreader it will be a good idea to stress test them (prime 95 is a good way to test how stable the RAM overclock is).

PMSL

Ok, the single 2GB will be fine (if its blue, its a HyperX stick the same as my single 2GB-hits 1066MHz with no problems), though since the other 2 don't have a heatspreader it will be a good idea to stress test them (prime 95 is a good way to test how stable the RAM overclock is).

So it's not capable for overclocking? Anyway I set it back to normal because I'm afraid I might damage my computer. But does it have a huge difference overcloking my CPU @2.66GHz to 3.2GHz?

So it's not capable for overclocking? Anyway I set it back to normal because I'm afraid I might damage my computer. But does it have a huge difference overcloking my CPU @2.66GHz to 3.2GHz?

Oh it will be capable, you might have some issues with stability, which can easily be fixed by decreasing the overclock. If you've had no problems so far however, just keep the overclock. And you should notice a difference in overall system performance with even a 540MHz overclock, though if you really wanted to, you could run a benchmark at stock settings, and one afterwards with the overclock to see the difference it makes, and if it will be worth it.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/cinebench_15_download.html This is what I recommend, it will provide a good indicator of the performance increase.

PMSL

If you go into your BIOS and drop your RAM down 1 step, so what would be DDR2-800 to DDR2-667 you can increase your FSB more without overclocking RAM too much and becoming unstable :)

If you go into your BIOS and drop your RAM down 1 step, so what would be DDR2-800 to DDR2-667 you can increase your FSB more without overclocking RAM too much and becoming unstable :)

So dropping my RAM down to 667 would increase stability in overclocking? Is that it? Sorry guys if I ask to many questions it's just my first time doing overclock. In your opinion what would be the perfect FSB for my Core 2 Duo E6750? Because the default is 333.

Oh it will be capable, you might have some issues with stability, which can easily be fixed by decreasing the overclock. If you've had no problems so far however, just keep the overclock. And you should notice a difference in overall system performance with even a 540MHz overclock, though if you really wanted to, you could run a benchmark at stock settings, and one afterwards with the overclock to see the difference it makes, and if it will be worth it.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/cinebench_15_download.html This is what I recommend, it will provide a good indicator of the performance increase.

Thanks man! I would definitely gonna try that. But one question, I only have a stock cooler here and a generic power supply plus my RAM has no heatspreader, is it fine?