LGA775 Core2Duo, Core2Quad OVERCLOCKING guide

harrynowl

sure, just remember who you're going up against ;):ph34r:

Hehe, ill probably make a scratch case for it and wall mount it.

Steve

How does a Q8300 perform in terms of single-core performance versus an Fx 8150 or 8350? Better or somewhat worse?

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

How does a Q8300 perform in terms of single-core performance versus an Fx 8150 or 8350? Better or somewhat worse?

clock for clock faster but typically a fx will clock a lot higher

8xxx core 2 quads aren't great clockers

clock for clock faster but typically a fx will clock a lot higher

8xxx core 2 quads aren't great clockers

Not in terms of overclocking, just in terms of single core performance.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Not in terms of overclocking, just in terms of single core performance.

IPC it's faster but theoretical single core performance of the 8150/8350 is higher as stock v stock the clock gap makes up the ipc gap.

Got my Xeon today, did the socket mod, and now its alive!! Now to see how far it will go on air......
post-155575-0-68407200-1420444089_thumb.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Got my Xeon today, did the socket mod, and now its alive!! Now to see how far it will go on air......

attachicon.gifxeon-day 1.PNG

What's the stock vcore reported in the BIOS? That'd be a indicator of how well binned it is

What's the stock vcore reported in the BIOS? That'd be a indicator of how well binned it is

Its states that it is an X5450, but it turns out that its been messed around with, and is actually the E version (still good as it can withstand 67oC). The voltage itself at x6 is 1.112V, while at x9 it is 1.184.  And I found the OC limit on the uncooled VRM- 3.24GHz. I'll be adding C1 heatsinks ASAP, and it turns out that while ghetto mounting the Pentium fan to the chipset heatsink kept it cool when the Core 2 was at 4GHz, it overheats again with the Xeon so I'm going for a heatpiped cooler. <_<

PMSL

Its states that it is an X5450, but it turns out that its been messed around with, and is actually the E version (still good as it can withstand 67oC). The voltage itself at x6 is 1.112V, while at x9 it is 1.184.  And I found the OC limit on the uncooled VRM- 3.24GHz. I'll be adding C1 heatsinks ASAP, and it turns out that while ghetto mounting the Pentium fan to the chipset heatsink kept it cool when the Core 2 was at 4GHz, it overheats again with the Xeon so I'm going for a heatpiped cooler. <_<

CPU-Z reports an E5450 as an error, I'd go by what the IHS tells you.

X9 sounds like it's a 1.2v stock vcore, so about what I was expecting.

My chip does 4GHz @1.25v

CPU-Z reports an E5450 as an error, I'd go by what the IHS tells you.

X9 sounds like it's a 1.2v stock vcore, so about what I was expecting.

My chip does 4GHz @1.25v

Its doing 1.184v at 3.158GHz (Its hits 61oC under full load, so I'll need to wait on the rest of the cooling parts to arrive).

PMSL

PMSL

I'd say the coolermaster one... that little aluminium coil looks no better than most stock heatsinks!

I'd say the coolermaster one... that little aluminium coil looks no better than most stock heatsinks!

Ok, thanks. I should have it within the week. :D

PMSL

Ok, thanks. I should have it within the week. :D

There's some decent P45 boards available on your ebay :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MSI-P45-Neo3-Intel-P45-Motherboard-MS-7514-Socket-LGA-775-DDR2-Fast-shipping-/161418180407?pt=AU_Components&hash=item259545f737

not a bad price

Bit out of my price range, I only budgeted for the cooling components, and all I really need is to add cooling to the VRM to solve the BSOD issue.

Edit: these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GA13822-HTC-MOS-C1-Heatsink-Copper-Raspberry-Pi-Pow-/131155377560?pt=AU_Components&hash=item1e89783d98

PMSL

Bit out of my price range, I only budgeted for the cooling components, and all I really need is to add cooling to the VRM to solve the BSOD issue.

Edit: these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GA13822-HTC-MOS-C1-Heatsink-Copper-Raspberry-Pi-Pow-/131155377560?pt=AU_Components&hash=item1e89783d98

they'd probably work, by the time you've got the nb cooler and 3 or 4 of those you've spent about 60% of the board cost- I'd save up for the board myself :)

they'd probably work, by the time you've got the nb cooler and 3 or 4 of those you've spent about 60% of the board cost- I'd save up for the board myself :)

I had a bit more of a look, the motherboards cost about $50+ for ones that have VRM heatsinks, but the minimum postage is another $30 on top of that. I think I'll just finish off the P5K for now.

PMSL

Holy shit, are austrailan prices that inflated or is the coolermaster one really a grand?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Holy shit, are austrailan prices that inflated or is the coolermaster one really a grand?

It was $34.99 earlier, often eBay stores put a price really high when they're out of stock so they don't have to pull the listing.

It was $34.99 earlier, often eBay stores put a price really high when they're out of stock so they don't have to pull the listing.

Oh Ok.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So, I've been looking for a good motherboard for my dad's PC, and it must be P45. Are there any mATX P45 boards out there? Or is P45 only limited to ATX?

So, I've been looking for a good motherboard for my dad's PC, and it must be P45. Are there any mATX P45 boards out there? Or is P45 only limited to ATX?

There's the Maximus II Gene... but good luck finding one!

There's the Maximus II Gene... but good luck finding one!

there is indeed a maximus II gene, but they are rare. the maximus ii formula is rare enough.

here is a list of P45 boards http://hwbot.org/hardware/motherboards#key=p45

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Damn it, would have been able to afford this, but it ended:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181616934651?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

PMSL