LGA775 Core2Duo, Core2Quad OVERCLOCKING guide

harrynowl

eBay these days :)

What do you think is the largest video card you could pair with a 4.00ghz E8400 without a bottleneck?

Please, just take a stab at this question.

Intel Core i7 4790k - 16 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 970

What do you think is the largest video card you could pair with a 4.00ghz E8400 without a bottleneck?

Please, just take a stab at this question.

Well I had no problems running my GTX 650Ti OC 2GB with my E8500 when I was running it at 4GHz, and it can play most games at 1080p medium settings. (1024x768 allows the settings to be maxed out).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well I had no problems running my GTX 650Ti OC 2GB with my E8500 when I was running it at 4GHz, and it can play most games at 1080p medium settings. (1024x768 allows the settings to be maxed out).

What do you think of this? Would it just be dumb to build something like this for gaming?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
CPU Cooler: Any AIO Watercooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR ATX LGA775 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) Case
Power Supply: Fractal Design 650W 80+ PSU

EDIT: Actually is probably just worse than getting something like a 4160 because the cooler and motherboard are that much more than the 2Duo. Hmm.

What do you think of this? Would it just be dumb to build something like this for gaming?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
CPU Cooler: Any AIO Watercooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR ATX LGA775 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) Case
Power Supply: Fractal Design 650W 80+ PSU

EDIT: Actually is probably just worse than getting something like a 4160 because the cooler and motherboard are that much more than the 2Duo. Hmm.

To be honest, while an E8xxx CPU at 4GHz can handle most games, they don't work all that well with them. You would be better off getting a CPU on a new platform such as an i3, and reserving the Core 2 Duo for having fun overclocking. Because a Core 2 Duo is just not capable of holding its own against CPUs 6 years newer, and is incapable of feeding a modern graphics card-even when overclocked to 4.42GHz (the current best and highest I can run stable with my E8500).

PMSL

To be honest, while an E8xxx CPU at 4GHz can handle most games, they don't work all that well with them. You would be better off getting a CPU on a new platform such as an i3, and reserving the Core 2 Duo for having fun overclocking. Because a Core 2 Duo is just not capable of holding its own against CPUs 6 years newer, and is incapable of feeding a modern graphics card-even when overclocked to 4.42GHz (the current best and highest I can run stable with my E8500).

I was coming to that conclusion as well myself. That's too bad. I will have to delay this for a fun project down the line instead of trying to build something like that now. Sad though!

Thanks for this post man. I've been wanting to put together an old LGA775 build together for a short while now. I was going to base it off my DFI Lanparty x48 motherboard I acquired. But sadly I thing the thing is dead. So I've been looking around for an old core 2 quad and an Asus P5k of sorts, sadly even older parts like this tend to be overpriced hear in Australia. 

Thanks for this post man. I've been wanting to put together an old LGA775 build together for a short while now. I was going to base it off my DFI Lanparty x48 motherboard I acquired. But sadly I thing the thing is dead. So I've been looking around for an old core 2 quad and an Asus P5k of sorts, sadly even older parts like this tend to be overpriced hear in Australia. 

Try an ASUS P5Q :)

I love LGA775. That's where I learned a lot about computers. I had some OEM G31 board (Foxconn G31MX-K) and got my Pentium E2200 from 2.2GHz to 3.1GHz and I felt like some kind of god :P

(I was like 12).

i'm 14  years old when i was 10 i got my first pc with pentium 4 that was 1.8 GHZ after a year it beggan to slow down (termal torotaling) and i got a now cpu cooler fixed it then i sed to my self why not oc it i got it to go to 2.4 ghz i was verry happy :) then i go a core 2 DUO e6600 oc it from 2.4 to 3 ghz and i'm stil stek with this system :( 

Ok, I'm running my rig at 4.44GHz now, but I'm not sure for how long as it destabilizes anywhere from 1minute to 30 minutes. These are my current settings and the Seidon 120V seems to be able to keep the thermals in check, but I don't know where I'm going wrong as I've had it (E8500) destabilizing at 4GHz even when running at the same settings as when it was installed in my P5K VM-which is far from an overclocking motherboard :

post-155575-0-60811000-1424474126_thumb.

post-155575-0-78708700-1424474254_thumb.

post-155575-0-63665100-1424474300_thumb.

post-155575-0-48786500-1424474360_thumb.

(I also dropped the PCIE frequency back down to 100MHz and the CPU voltage down to 1.425V after I took the photos-the default timing for both kits of RAM when at stock clock is 4-4-4-12)

PMSL

Put ram 6-6-6-17 see how it goes :)

Ok, trying it now.

PMSL

Ok, 4.42GHz is now stable, thanks I'd have taken forever to think of the RAM timing as a problem.

PMSL

Timings loosened even further, increased the voltage a little bit and I now have the FSB at 470MHz with the CPU stable

PMSL

4.8ghz or death

I'm hoping to see it post at 4.9GHz, and maybe do a bit of cinebench (this damn thing will beat my i5 4440 single threaded or burn trying.)

PMSL

I updated the bios and it seems to have fewer issues running stable now. Time for the socket mod and to see if my X5450 didn't get fried last time I used it.

PMSL

Update: at 3.69GHz (410MHz FSB) my Xeon was running fine, with the OpenGL and multi threaded benchmarks complete and the single threaded benchmark in progress. The rig froze, had a BSOD, overheating VRMs and now refuses to even post with the E8500 it had at 4.44GHz.
Note to self: if I see a 16 phase motherboard f***ing get it-8 phases appears to be utterly useless with LGA771 Xeons.
(btw, in the space of an hour I ghettod my i5 into a semblance of a computer and installed Win 7 on my 100GB HDD-thank god for molex to SATA adapters as the PSU is from about 2002-2003 and only has the 1 SATA plug).

PMSL

Update: at 3.69GHz (410MHz FSB) my Xeon was running fine, with the OpenGL and multi threaded benchmarks complete and the single threaded benchmark in progress. The rig froze, had a BSOD, overheating VRMs and now refuses to even post with the E8500 it had at 4.44GHz.

Note to self: if I see a 16 phase motherboard f***ing get it-8 phases appears to be utterly useless with LGA771 Xeons.

(btw, in the space of an hour I ghettod my i5 into a semblance of a computer and installed Win 7 on my 100GB HDD-thank god for molex to SATA adapters as the PSU is from about 2002-2003 and only has the 1 SATA plug).

Hmm.... my P5Q 8 phase runs my Xeon like a champion.

Hmm.... my P5Q 8 phase runs my Xeon like a champion.

Yeah.... well mine isn't even posting any more. And everything has adequate cooling. For example the Xeon was only 5oC above ambient at stock, and it didn't go over 38oC when it was getting stress tested. (One core was up to 4oC warmer though-maybe the Xeon and Core 2 are dead? Though the Core 2 worked right up to the installation of the Xeon.)

PMSL

Yeah.... well mine isn't even posting any more. And everything has adequate cooling. For example the Xeon was only 5oC above ambient at stock, and it didn't go over 38oC when it was getting stress tested. (One core was up to 4oC warmer though-maybe the Xeon and Core 2 are dead? Though the Core 2 worked right up to the installation of the Xeon.)

:( That sucks. Gigabyte EP-45 Extreme time? :)

:( That sucks. Gigabyte EP-45 Extreme time? :)

Maybe, either way I'm going to try and get at least one of my motherboards working at 100%, even if its with the Pentium 4 630-that damn thing didn't die when I pushed 1.8V through it, and it had the FSB at 533 (that's as far as I feel safe taking my 800MHz RAM kits).

PMSL

Maybe, either way I'm going to try and get at least one of my motherboards working at 100%, even if its with the Pentium 4 630-that damn thing didn't die when I pushed 1.8V through it, and it had the FSB at 533 (that's as far as I feel safe taking my 800MHz RAM kits).

FSB at 533 or bus at 533? 533 FSB is kinda low but if you mean quad pumped that's a 2132 FSB clock :o

FSB at 533 or bus at 533? 533 FSB is kinda low but if you mean quad pumped that's a 2132 FSB clock :o

FSB @ 533-at the time I figured it was the best way to test the new NB cooler as early on the stock NB was getting too hot to touch. That and I wanted to kill the P4 as I'd only just bought my E8500 (which running on 1 core kicked the crap out of the P4).

Edit: looking back, I really had no clue about overclocking when I got the LGA775 rig.

PMSL

Hi there everyone, saw this topic and got interested on it.

I've got a Q9400 with stock cooling. What do you guys think that it's the best combination to use!?

I'm posting CPU-Z pics of my proc, main and mems.

Q9400.JPG