VR one is the response to Samsungs gear vr

Rbolsen

I still don't quite get what you could use this for. A smartphone doesn't have enough power to get some good visuals and how would connecting it to a pc work? 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I hate this

VR is already becoming a race to the bottom and these products are barely even out of the gate (most of them are not even available)

Normally new and upcoming tech starts at silly high prices like 4k, and slowly drops, but with VR we seem to be starting at the bottom, I know they want the tech to be accessible to the masses, but its emerging tech and generally people expect to pay more for exciting new products

I would rather have an amazing £300 headset, than a shitty £100 one

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I hate this

VR is already becoming a race to the bottom and these products are barely even out of the gate (most of them are not even available)

Normally new and upcoming tech starts at silly high prices like 4k, and slowly drops, but with VR we seem to be starting at the bottom, I know they want the tech to be accessible to the masses, but its emerging tech and generally people expect to pay more for exciting new products

I would rather have an amazing £300 headset, than a shitty £100 one

So you are basicly saying we should pay the price for hypes? Because that's the cause of the ridiculous devalution of some hardware in the spawn of few months sometimes.

From with my limited knowlege about each subject, I highly doubt that the costs of making a 4k panel (R&D, get a production line well tuned, market it, and get shelf space) would match the costs of a VR headset that is already using hardware that has been on the market for quite some time, wich has production lines already tuned and the production is already flowing with loads of purchase orders.

This device works with smartphones, so it's not just a shitty €100 euros headset, it's €100 + the price of a smartphone.

So you are basicly saying we should pay the price for hypes? Because that's the cause of the ridiculous devalution of some hardware in the spawn of few months sometimes.

From with my limited knowlege about each subject, I highly doubt that the costs of making a 4k panel (R&D, get a production line well tuned, market it, and get shelf space) would match the costs of a VR headset that is already using hardware that has been on the market for quite some time, wich has production lines already tuned and the production is already flowing with loads of purchase orders.

This device works with smartphones, so it's not just a shitty €100 euros headset, it's €100 + the price of a smartphone.

In the case of headset that uses an existing smartphone yes

I was talking in generalities with VR as a whole, that does not use an existing smartphone

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Stop with the "One" names please, I'm so sick of it. It's stupid.

In the case of headset that uses an existing smartphone yes

I was talking in generalities with VR as a whole, that does not use an existing smartphone

Well I look at it this way: there are two trends - dedicated VR headsets and VR headsets to be used with external devices. One will deliver the best quality the other will deliver just enough quality to enjoy the experience.

The prices will make that clear in the end.

this market get's flooded to soon, i guess ocolus did well and everyone else tries to jump the train, but with all these diffrent platforms it won't work out.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.