How I Clocked my 'Locked' i5 4690 (Non-K) past 4.15Ghz

Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,

OLD POST now with an Update

I'm still using this All-in-One Cooler from Intel (All my friends said it would die within a year lol)

The included fan, DIED within a month of normal usage at variable set speeds.

The Rest has been Cherry!

Have since upped from the i5 4690 Bclk'd to 4Ghz (60*c Avg 70*c Max) to a i7 4790K, upped that to 4.5Ghz (AllcoreTurbo/Daily Driver Clockspeeds) and upped the Cache to 4.4Ghz,.... I maintained 4.8Ghz /w 4.2Ghz Cache but the tradeoff heat was too much for the little AIO.

Anything under 1.3v is too easy, but 4.8Ghz requires a bit more than that...I saw 84*c spikes time to time.. as where 4.7Ghz Hardly broke 80*c maybe on one core...if at all.

This AIO cooler is due to be replaced maybe, I don't know, it still performs, but is now 3 years old.

So this revival isn't wasted.

What are your best 4790K clocks/settings?

To Start... For the TL:DR crowd, simply put, Maybe a lucky draw, but an awesome board,106.95BCLK*39=4.17Ghz,...

108Mhz Dies, 107.6Mhz+ Gets flaky, So 106.9Mhz was tested and found to be fine in all things tested (Synthetics/Game Playing/Encoding/Stresstesting CPU+GPU+RAM together)
As for the Locked CPU overclocking, well Asus has allowed it via some Firmware updates.
Link for more info - http://techreport.com/news/26650/asus-enables-haswell-overclocking-on-non-z-series-motherboards
"The motherboard maker's latest round of firmware updates for H97, H87, B85, and H81 motherboards promises overclocking support for K-series Haswell chips, including the latest Devil's Canyon derivatives and the anniversary-edition Pentium. H97 boards are limited to CPU multiplier control, but the others appear to have access to the same frequency and multiplier options as equivalent Z97 offerings"
Although with a Z-board I was gonna get it anyway.

Cooling - The Intel BXTS13X Liquid Cooler to replace my Hyper212 from 5 years ago, carried through builds..., it's a lot better obviously, temps are down on average 8-12*c and the sound profile has hugely dropped in decibels ,..using my already known/set overclocks on my i5, I put it through some Aida64 Stresstesting for 5-6mins to see average and max temps.

Overclocking the Non-K i5 4690 Processor using a HIGH BCLK of 106.95Mhz and most people would not be able to attain this, credit goes to the ASUS Z97-K, a brilliant Z97 Board for tinkerers with MANY Bios options.

I didn't even have to adjust voltage in the end, I did with testing, using Offset +.050 and such little additions.. Ended up being fine in the end on stock voltage.

The BCLK has taken my DDR3 XMP 1866Mhz up, so I took them further /w some voltage :) @ 2280Mhz /w Loosened Timings
Zero pump noise, that I can hear but I have not even had this that hot to require it either.
I boot with 1200'ish RPM and under load go up to 1400'ish Rpm max fan speed so far & the fan is 2000Rpm's capable.
Stock
Core i5-4690 4Cores / 4Threads Stock Clock 3500Mhz Turbo Clock 3900Mhz Cache 6 MB

CPU Info - http://ark.intel.com/products/80810/Intel-Core-i5-4690-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz
Motherboard Info - http://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z97K/

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png
1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)

High-clarity Crystal Sound 2 :
- Audio Shielding: Ensures precision analog/digital separation and greatly reduced multi-lateral interference
- Dedicated audio PCB layers: Separate layers for left and right channels to guard the quality of the sensitive audio signals
- Audio amplifier: Provides the highest-quality sound for headphone and speakers
- Premium Japanese-made audio capacitors: Provide warm, natural and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity
- Unique de-pop circuit: Reduces start-up popping noise to audio outputs

ASUS 5X Protection
- ASUS DIGI+ VRM - 4 Phase digital power design
- ASUS Enhanced DRAM Overcurrent Protection - Short circuit damage prevention
- ASUS ESD Guards - Enhanced ESD protection
- ASUS High-Quality 5K-Hour Solid Capacitors - 2.5x long lifespan with excellent durability
- ASUS Stainless Steel Back I/O - 3x more durable corrosion-resistant coating

Downsides
SLI/Crossfire considerations
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 mode, gray)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode, black)
Fan Connector count
1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
2 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (2 x 4 -pin)

Expansion
The PCIe x1_1, PCIe x1_2 slots share bandwidth with PCIe x16_2.
The PCIe x16_2 slot runs at x2 mode as default. However x4 is available within the BIOS
M.2 Socket 3 shares bandwidth with SATA6G_5 & SATA6G_6 ports

Thanks for Reading.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

nice job :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you can OC none k cpus? how.....

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

teach me teh ways...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Nice, that's just slightly higher than my current i5 4690K overclock, which is at ~3.9GHz with the MSI overclocking genie tool.

(Running with stock cooler so I'm not going to push it that much)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

whats with the non k chip and the z97 board?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Link for more info - http://techreport.com/news/26650/asus-enables-haswell-overclocking-on-non-z-series-motherboards

"The motherboard maker's latest round of firmware updates for H97, H87, B85, and H81 motherboards promises overclocking support for K-series Haswell chips, including the latest Devil's Canyon derivatives and the anniversary-edition Pentium. H97 boards are limited to CPU multiplier control, but the others appear to have access to the same frequency and multiplier options as equivalent Z97 offerings"

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

^Bugger.. DP ,. Better watch that in future..

whats with the non k chip and the z97 board?

Board is a replacement for a Dead H97 which was RMA'd and then never used again.

Do plan on putting the i7 4790K, but have no needs that justify it.

Gaming on this i5 is the Tits, Encoding isn't that much slower because overall,.. I'm not doing it that much.

A good buy for at the time I was like "Limited funds,..i7 by Xmas, this will do."

• 3 months later...

Incoming this week is an Asus Z97-C and already have an i5-4570 in my possession, so hopefully I can get this up to 36*106=3816MHz.

*fingers crossed*

46OSKxn.jpg?1

This Asus Z97-C board has loads of tweaks and options for overclocking. I love it.

I am able to get 36*105.5=3.8GHz, have not tried a higher bclk as yet.

Another step or two.... on top wouldn't do much benefit over what you've already achieved, well done.

105Mhz, still...not all boards will go that high either...

Very nice.

the "K" means they have an unlocked multiplier. you can overclock them the "old" way by increasing the bus speed - however current gen intel chips do not react very well to bus speed increases.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

the "K" means they have an unlocked multiplier. you can overclock them the "old" way by increasing the bus speed - however current gen intel chips do not react very well to bus speed increases.

Today it's 100Mhz FSB for Intel chips...

But aiming for 102-105mhz from a 100Mhz stock should be mostly fine on most motherboards... Lucky if you can pass it and remain stable. Like my 106.7Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz

Did love oldschool 220-250Mhz FSB's from stock 200FSB :)

Now so much these days, never will get that high unless originally by design (200Mhz stock)

• 4 weeks later...

@Skillrebuilds is the Multiplier completely locked down or can you lower it? I've had locked CPU's (i5 750) before but I could alway pick a lower multiplier. Are you using an XMP ram setting I'm curious how that works with a locked "K" CPU. How did you use any of the Asus software windows to set any overclocking or did you do it all in the Bios?

Still nice to get a little bit of a boost but since you have to overclock base i think it would have been more stable to just leave it at 3.9 turbo :)xD im just glad i went with my i5 4690k when i bought new PC parts 

Needs Update

@Skillrebuilds is the Multiplier completely locked down or can you lower it? I've had locked CPU's (i5 750) before but I could alway pick a lower multiplier. Are you using an XMP ram setting I'm curious how that works with a locked "K" CPU. How did you use any of the Asus software windows to set any overclocking or did you do it all in the Bios?

Overclocking being locked to K-series chips wasn't a thing until Sandy Bridge, which is the generation to follow the first gen i3/i5/i7 chips.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Multi is locked to Turbo so in my case, x39, but you can downgrade the multi to a lower number.

But the good thing, x39 (3.9Ghz) Turbo across ALL cores on load, thanks to this Asus board as well, then the OC on top, makes it a nice boost

Speedstep still enabled ((Win7 only) Set Windows High performance Power profiles to 85% Min, 100% Max) = 3.5'ishGhz to my 4.15Ghz Turbo (currently), and it loves to seek&stay at 4.15Ghz in an instant, only backing off when I'm under 5% CPU utilization.

Didn't use software,..All in the Bios

As for XMP,.. Select it First and then declock Memory a step back from the dropdown list,..then Tweak the FSB/Baseclock) and up it all goes.

@Hieb in the First Gen I3/I5/I7 series the only CPU with "unlocked" Multiplier where the I7 980X 99X "X" for extreme they were about 1000$. And to say overclocking being locked to K-series chips is mis-information as the point of this post is some one talking about their success over clocking a non K-series. K series have locked Multiplies not Locked Overclocking. According to Intels web site its the Motherboard chipset (H97 vs Z97) that enables many of the overclocking setting. even at that some manufactures have some setting enables on the H97

http://ark.intel.com/compare/82012,82010

@SkilledRebuilds Thank you for the information, I was curious because to get my XMP ram to work with my I5 750 I had to increase the Bclk and reduce my CPU multiplyer to run stable and I didn't want to get a Non K if the XMP Ram wouldn't work.

Oh... Okay. BCLK over locking as expected...

Do note that it MIGHT damage your other parts so yea. Which is why I clocked my 3570 to 4GHz by multiplier only.

Oh... Okay. BCLK over locking as expected...

Do note that it MIGHT damage your other parts so yea. Which is why I clocked my 3570 to 4GHz by multiplier only.

I went into this with full knowledge of that happening.

Overclocking anything has a risk attached to it, some more risky than others, usually this IS out of peoples comfort zone...

I went into this with full knowledge of that happening.

Overclocking anything has a risk attached to it, some more risky than others, usually this IS out of peoples comfort zone...

Yeap... My system is already a little fincky and its been next to impossible to pinpoint the problem. Sp better not touch BCLK

Yeap... My system is already a little fincky and its been next to impossible to pinpoint the problem. Sp better not touch BCLK

I hate that, when you have no idea on the finicky side of things...whats happening or the cause...

PSU/CPU/Mobo/Ram/Godknows whatelse can be the cause, and you've tried wrapping your head around it...

Tweaking values,....over and over,..New installs here and there... problems still persist...

God I hate that shit :(

• 2 years later...

OLD POST now with an Update

I'm still using this All-in-One Cooler from Intel (All my friends said it would die within a year lol)

The included fan, DIED within a month of normal usage at variable set speeds.

The Rest has been Cherry!

Have since upped from the i5 4690 Bclk'd to 4Ghz (60*c Avg 70*c Max) to a i7 4790K, upped that to 4.5Ghz (AllcoreTurbo/Daily Driver Clockspeeds) and upped the Cache to 4.4Ghz,.... I maintained 4.8Ghz /w 4.2Ghz Cache but the tradeoff heat was too much for the little AIO.

Anything under 1.3v is too easy, but 4.8Ghz requires a bit more than that...I saw 84*c spikes time to time.. as where 4.7Ghz Hardly broke 80*c maybe on one core...if at all.

This AIO cooler is due to be replaced maybe, I don't know, it still performs, but is now 3 years old.

So this revival isn't wasted.

What are your best 4790K clocks/settings?

• 1 year later...

A true Jedi is able to balance the force.

A Jedi clocks their i5-4690 to 3.9 on all cores. 

They do this by their Z97-A motherboard bios and not through AI Suite DIP 5

A Jedi also sets base clock to 100.2 which gives their DDR3 1600 Crucial 2x8 GB kit slightly better bandwidth.

The results are stable and quite good. Higher clocks = More risk.

Never give in to the dark side.