CyanogenMod has declined a take-over by Google

aurrorax

So basically multiple companies including Samsung Amazon and Microsoft already expressed interest in CyanogenMod, however now even Google has showed Interest, however CyanogenMod is not interested.

Holy crap, They are the one who resists them all.

Articles : https://www.theinformation.com/Cyanogen-Spurns-Google-Acquisition-Interest-Seeks-1-Billion-Valuation

: http://tweakers.net/nieuws/98825/maker-cyanogenmod-wijst-mogelijke-overname-door-google-af.html (Use in-browser translation)

I feel like CM is better off on their own, especially better off away from Google. If anyone big were to purchase CM, Facebook would be the best, considering they would likely leave CM to operate on their own like Oculus.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Why would Google purchase them? Thats kinda weird if you ask me

buy it then monetize it, who knows.

If they think the next big thing is modding/installing different android roms, then getting one of the big-wig roms would probably put them ahead of the curve maybe?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If they think the next big thing is modding/installing different android roms, then getting one of the big-wig roms would probably put them ahead of the curve maybe?

But does Google really have competition or need to enter/worry about competition in the custom ROM community? Monetizing it would drive people away

I like the spunk CM is showing.

Although I think a take over is inevitable with these kind of start ups. The asking price just hasn't been agreed upon.

But does Google really have competition or need to enter/worry about competition in the custom ROM community? Monetizing it would drive people away

I don't think it's competition they're worried about seeing as they're not really losing any money on it, if anything they'd be gaining money from roms. (Since Iphones/ipods can't necessarily be changed as much as android can)

So I think maybe if they had an option to own CM and monetize it or advertise it more, or even say like "hey we'll sell you this phone with this option instead of stock android if you want for $5 more" etc.

Or even if they could take some of CM's features and integrate them into the stock android client making all of android more customizable from the get-go without worrying about patents/lawsuits or something?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I congratulate CM on holding off the hoards waving bags of money, as I feel a buyout, especially by samsung or MS would ruin it. If google bought them, they'd probably be told to redesign stock android, and if amazon bought them then the fire phone might actually start to look decent.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

this is nice and interesting to see, seems not everything is for sale these days.

google makes stock androide, maybe they want the people form CM onboard because of the populairty or the fact they know what people want.

I doubt google has any use for that since they make/release stock android, so their market share on android is basicly 100% :P

I think that if they had to worry they would go like apple, but instead of keeping it personal, they will close of everything and only allow certain manufactures to make changes.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I think that if they had to worry they would go like apple, but instead of keeping it personal, they will close of everything and only allow certain manufactures to make changes.

I highly doubt that. Thats not what Google is about and are advocates of the exact opposite

Gotta admit, if Google were offering me a massive wadge of money I would be highly tempted to drop everything and retire early :)

The CM guys must be really passionate about their work!

I congratulate CM on holding off the hoards waving bags of money, as I feel a buyout, especially by samsung or MS would ruin it. If google bought them, they'd probably be told to redesign stock android, and if amazon bought them then the fire phone might actually start to look decent.

Tbh, I like the whole "lone wolf" thing that CM has going on but, If someone had to buy them I'd like google the most of all.

Isn't CyanogenMOD owned by Oppo?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Simple control they are the third biggest OS then Google would own two of the biggest OS's

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

Gotta admit, if Google were offering me a massive wadge of money I would be highly tempted to drop everything and retire early :)

Or they reckon if they hold out, they can get a better price?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

That's what I thought at first too, but it seems like the reason they declined was because they want more money (a 1 billion dollar evaluation to be more precise)...

This was probably their strategy to begin with (not the absolute beginning, but a while before they became a real company). Become a public company, make a lot of noise and then get bought by some other company for a billion dollars.

Another wannabe 1 billion dollar company - they might regret this decision.

I feel like CM is better off on their own, especially better off away from Google. If anyone big were to purchase CM, Facebook would be the best, considering they would likely leave CM to operate on their own like Oculus.

uufsKjU.gif

No way would Facebook leave something like that alone. They can't leave anything alone.

Only reason they've left Oculus alone is because integrating it into their own services doesn't really make much sense... but a smartphone OS? The possibilities for Facebookizing it would be endless... and they'd probably ruin it and kill the performance in the process like they do with everything else.

TBH I think it would be really interesting if Google bought CM. For one stability would go through the roof, On the down side it probably would lose compatibility. 

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4