Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

New Windows 10 Build: 14390

Fixes and improvement

• You should no longer see the error code 0x80004005 when enabling Developer Mode on the “For Developers” Settings page if your PC is using a non-EN-US language.

Known issues:

• AWARENESS: A recent fix went into place for the Hyper-V firmware that will that affect the ability to boot Windows Server 2016 Tech Preview 5 VMs with Secure Boot enabled. A fix for TP5 builds has been developed however, due to release schedules, the Insider Preview build changes will be released before the TP5 fix is released. During that time, if you try to boot a new TP5 VM with Secure Boot enabled, it will fail. The workaround is to disable Secure Boot during this period.

That is all.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/07/15/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14390-for-pc-and-mobile/

We need a Windows version of  KSplice. I wish there was a better way of delivering updates for new builds instead of MS pushing out ESD/WIMs. Windows 10 already has a package manager accessible via PowerShell to power users, why not use it to push out system updates as well?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

New Windows 10 build! Build 14393

• We have improved the reliability of Start, Cortana, and Action Center.
  • You should now be able to mount iPods as USB mass-storage devices.

Known issues:

• We are aware of certain cases in which Surface Books and Surface Pro 4’s may bugcheck (bluescreen) due to a camera driver issue. An updated driver will roll-out via Windows Update soon that will fix this.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/07/18/build14393/

To celebrate 1 year of Windows 10, Microsoft is offering some nice deals:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/07/18/countdown-to-windows-10-anniversary-update-with-offers-in-the-windows-store/

• The Telltale Games - Minecraft Story Mode Episode 1 for free. And 50% off all following episodes
  • Free 4 month trial Groove Music Pass (the service has improved a lot since it started with Windows 10). The Android and iOS app also got massively updated recently. Even if you tried it before, you can re-try it. If you decide to subscribe to it, for 1 month or year, your 4 months will be added to your subscription so it won't be lost.
  • Through July 27, cast your vote for your favorite Windows store apps, games, music, movies & TV shows, and you enter for a chance to win 1 of 10, $50 Windows Store gift cards.
  • You can rent School of Rock movie for free.

and more. It ends July 29. It says U.S only on the website, but I see them available in Canada.

Not a new build, but a new update delivered bringing the Build number to: 14393.3

It fixes BSOD and other issues that Surface Pro 4 and Book users where having. No other info is revealed at the moment.

Microsoft provide a log of this update via the Feedback hub:

• We have fixed an issue where keyboard input on some Windows tablet devices would not rotate to landscape normally.
  • We have fixed an issue that results in Windows Updates being delayed on systems with Connected Standby.
  • We have fixed a problem with text input with Korean Input Method Editor (IME) in some Store apps.
  • We fixed an issue causing Store apps to stop launching due to a licensing issue.
  • We have fixed an issue with apps that synchronize using DDE for inter-process communication.

insiderhub://announcements/bd717936-0b18-401f-90ce-72d4af386a57?Source=ShareLink

if i stop insider builds i still will get official builds when they come out right? 

New update to the latest build, bringing the OS build to 14393.5

From the feedback hub, Microsoft says:

• We have improved reliability and performance of Microsoft Edge with AdBlock and LastPass extensions enabled. These extensions should continue to work after installing other extension updates from the Store.
  • We fixed an issue causing battery to drain due to runaway CPU processes while a device is idle. We also fixed a battery life issue due to the proximity sensor always running on some devices.
  • We fixed an issue causing Store apps to stop launching due to a licensing issue.
  • We have fixed an issue that results in Windows Updates being delayed on systems with Connected Standby.
  • We fixed an issue where the Korean IME would not have the correct composition on some custom TSF3 edit controls on PC.
  • We fixed an issue where you might not be able to type in text into Search or some Store apps without having to restart the process.
  • We have fixed an issue where keyboard input on some Windows tablet devices would not rotate to landscape normally.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-confirms-two-major-updates-planned-windows-10-2017

Microsoft confirms 2 major update for 2017. So, codename Redstone 2 and 3 is indeed real.

Yay! more preview builds. :D 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Not breaking old features should be more important than adding new ones. Just saying...

Let's start with not removing old features, or make them as an option.

Hell has frozen....

Groove Music (Insider Fast Ring release), can now edit music file metadata!

groove-edit.jpg

And now you can skip/mute a song in a playlist so it doesn't play it anymore!!!

• You can now edit the metadata for music saved locally! Right-click on an album or song and choose Edit Info.
  • You can now see curated playlists, new releases, best new songs, top albums, and top artists...all by GENRE!! It's available in US, UK, FR, CA, and DE
  • Radio stations show up in Recent Plays in Your Groove
  • You can check out which artists are included in a playlist in Explore more easily now because they are highlighted when you click on a playlist
  • You can give feedback on playlists in Your Groove with a thumbs up or thumbs down. You can also mute specific songs in a Your Groove playlist if you don't want to hear them anymore. Muted songs will be excluded when you play that playlist later or save a copy to your collection.

Update nnnooooowwww!!! :) (well... whenever it comes to you).

57313196%2ddd6e%2d4405%2d80fd%2d546890cf7ca.png

57313196%2ddd6e%2d4405%2d80fd%2d546890cf7ca7.png

Sauce: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/musicandvideo/forum/xboxmusic/insider-preview-app-update-groove-music-app/f53ccf53-764f-46c6-98a6-6fec647dafde?tm=1470357970513

2 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Just a good example of what I said: Zune was beautiful, but they replaced with this trash x.x

Loved the Zune app. I still keep my Zune, as I find it to be a nice collectors item.

But Groove Music is catching up.

Honestly, I find that the Groove Music team puts the most effort and have great pride in the app they are making.

Skype Preview UWP caught me surprised, with the garbage, half-ass, and maybe intern made without any guidance form any mentor, that we were having for sooo many years, and now I see effort, where the messages are not out of order, you have emoticon, voice chat, video chat, you can send images, and even has the new robot feature (which I never really got), and looks decent... that I am seriously shocked. Good that they have effort, I hope the team continues and maybe it will be just as good as the Win32 version (on some system, like tablets or high-DPI displays, it already wins over WIn32 app as it doesn't support either).

And while I am at, I think next in line is the Maps team, then Mail/Calendar (although it feels like it has slowed down.. hopefully they work on something), however in exchange the Edge team is accelerating, hopefully it continues. The Store team looks like they never saw an app store before. But with this latest update it is better.. still work to be done, but better.

33 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

@GoodBytes I loved Zune app of WP7, the app on Xbox 360, the PC version and so on. It was much better than anything else at that time. 
They broken everything switching to Xbox Music, and right after to Groove. Cancelled my subscription and now I'm using Spotify in place of the Zune Music Pass.

Yea, but Groove Music is coming back to Zune levels, and already surpasses it in many ways. For example, you have gapless playback and you have faster download of the streamed song, and it is also smarter, where the following song is already downloaded, and it starts the download of the following songs before the current song is finishes, so even if you skip track contentiously, it just plays in no time. Still work needs to be done, of course. But in 3 year time XBox Music app didn't do anything beside switching from an awful GUI layout to another. In 1 year the Groove Music has done so much it is incredible. I look forward for this app, and I am exciting for it. It already has catered playlists, and mood and activities playlists bringing it to Spotify levels. Rumors that Music Video is coming as well in the near future. So, we will see.

Skype is a joke. That thing was the best VoIP client and Microsoft managed to let it become even worse than competitors. WhatsApp, for example, is developed by something around 50 engineers and deliver a service for multiple billion users. How many people work at Skype? Around 500. How many people uses Skype? Half billion. What the heck were they are doing?

Yea exactly! That is why I was shocked by the new Skype Preview, and it is in preview level as the name suggests. Heck it even supports the old Skype accounts. It is like the team got a new manager which pushes everyone to do fine work, and boosted the team moral, or maybe it got a restructure or something... I hope it continue for them, and the "dark age" is long past.

Mail and Calendar bugs made me so angry that I'm going back to Android or iOS... 

Oh really? It works fine for me. I have got 2 live accounts, and I have 1 GMail account, and 1 my own server account for e-mail, and 2 live accounts for Calendar, and it does what I expect it to do, and all works fine.

Has Microsoft delivered something meaningful to you? I don't use Cortana at all, and even if I wanted to use, I can't even search through my e-mails, contacts, calendar and so on without a business or educational Office 365 account, being that a basic feature of Mac for ages.

Yes. Maps is better in many ways than Google Maps. My only big complaints about it is that it doesn't have compass support, and some map data is outdated. In the lesser important complaints: public transport can be improved, sometimes on highways, it doesn't say the exit number only the name. And it can't handle French street names. It reads them in English, instead of French, and has no translation for "st" for "saint". "E" for "Est", "N" for North, and so on. Also, when I search for some places it doesn't recognize the local place, and send me to some other city or province, or even the US somewhere, far far far away. Also, when I search for a location, the map has data that is wrong. Say a store has closed since a while, the map isn't updated to reflect this, or simply wrong. I want to correct it, but there is no way to do so. Google has, and that is why it is so much better. I never got why Microsoft is so closed about it. While it might sound bad, many of these issues are identical with very expensive and fancy dedicated GPS units. And Google maps has its share of problems. Personally, I prefer Maps, at least for my region.

I like the notification alerts of calendar events without having the app running like Outlook. Bash is very exciting for me, same for the new Environment Variables panel, and the finally updated command prompt where you can select text normally, copy and paste normally, and scale the window as you need with proper text wrapping. I like a lot the file transfer panel and file collision panel (you know, the one that asks you if you want to override the file, and give you a comparison). But that was more Windows 8.

I loved the Messaging anywhere feature that Microsoft removed at the last minute, and phone notification on PC.

And I actually have to say Edge too. While it might seems strange, but on my Surface I do enjoy the web browser, as it is the only web browser that give good battery life, and also excellent high-DPI aware touch friendly GUI while still being good for mouse (useful for a convertible device like my Surface Pro), has multi-touch support, and has incredibly smooth zooming and scrolling. On my desktop I still use Firefox.

As for Cortana... I also don't get it. Like I tried it for packaging tracking, thinking I'll get notifications on the packages moving, but nope. Only when you click on the search box, you have a small box that shows you the current status, and only updates every couple of hours, so its not updated enougth. Same for plane tracking. So I don't really get the point. If I need to click to get that information, I'll just bookmark the pages on my web browser and get there, and get the latest information. It needs work, and more the team needs to think through more their ideas. And yes I agree, I wish apps can integrate with it.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Yea, but Groove Music is coming back to Zune levels, and already surpasses it in many ways. For example, you have gapless playback and you have faster download of the streamed song, and it is also smarter, where the following song is already downloaded, and it starts the download of the following songs before the current song is finishes, so even if you skip track contentiously, it just plays in no time. Still work needs to be done, of course. But in 3 year time XBox Music app didn't do anything beside switching from an awful GUI layout to another. In 1 year the Groove Music has done so much it is incredible. I look forward for this app, and I am exciting for it. It already has catered playlists, and mood and activities playlists bringing it to Spotify levels. Rumors that Music Video is coming as well in the near future. So, we will see.

Yea exactly! That is why I was shocked by the new Skype Preview, and it is in preview level as the name suggests. Heck it even supports the old Skype accounts. It is like the team got a new manager which pushes everyone to do fine work, and boosted the team moral, or maybe it got a restructure or something... I hope it continue for them, and the "dark age" is long past.

Oh really? It works fine for me. I have got 2 live accounts, and I have 1 GMail account, and 1 my own server account for e-mail, and 2 live accounts for Calendar, and it does what I expect it to do, and all works fine.

Yes. Maps is better in many ways than Google Maps. My only big complaints about it is that it doesn't have compass support, and some map data is outdated. In the lesser important complaints: public transport can be improved, sometimes on highways, it doesn't say the exit number only the name. And it can't handle French street names. It reads them in English, instead of French, and has no translation for "st" for "saint". "E" for "Est", "N" for North, and so on. Also, when I search for some places it doesn't recognize the local place, and send me to some other city or province, or even the US somewhere, far far far away. Also, when I search for a location, the map has data that is wrong. Say a store has closed since a while, the map isn't updated to reflect this, or simply wrong. I want to correct it, but there is no way to do so. Google has, and that is why it is so much better. I never got why Microsoft is so closed about it. While it might sound bad, many of these issues are identical with very expensive and fancy dedicated GPS units. And Google maps has its share of problems. Personally, I prefer Maps, at least for my region.

I like the notification alerts of calendar events without having the app running like Outlook. Bash is very exciting for me, same for the new Environment Variables panel, and the finally updated command prompt where you can select text normally, copy and paste normally, and scale the window as you need with proper text wrapping. I like a lot the file transfer panel and file collision panel (you know, the one that asks you if you want to override the file, and give you a comparison). But that was more Windows 8.

I loved the Messaging anywhere feature that Microsoft removed at the last minute, and phone notification on PC.

And I actually have to say Edge too. While it might seems strange, but on my Surface I do enjoy the web browser, as it is the only web browser that give good battery life, and also excellent high-DPI aware touch friendly GUI while still being good for mouse (useful for a convertible device like my Surface Pro), has multi-touch support, and has incredibly smooth zooming and scrolling. On my desktop I still use Firefox.

As for Cortana... I also don't get it. Like I tried it for packaging tracking, thinking I'll get notifications on the packages moving, but nope. Only when you click on the search box, you have a small box that shows you the current status, and only updates every couple of hours, so its not updated enougth. Same for plane tracking. So I don't really get the point. If I need to click to get that information, I'll just bookmark the pages on my web browser and get there, and get the latest information. It needs work, and more the team needs to think through more their ideas.

That's quite strange. I've never tracked a package before using Cortana but I assumed it works.

And yes I agree, I wish apps can integrate with it.

Apps specifically for Windows 10 using UWP can integrate with it. Otherwise they can't.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

@GoodBytes what I was trying to say is that there isn't a single major feature that you can't say "wow, how I lived for years without that". When you use a Mac, like Mountain Lion, 2 y.o., that can't snap apps to the screen, like Windows does for ages, you notice that it have something really important missing. It's a simple feature that really changes how people use their computer.

Ah! Ok. Well Bash is for me and many developers. The rescale 2 snap window. I find that very useful (this is where you have 2 window side by side, and scaling one, scales the other), command line copy/past/selection and expand is a must for me. And I want to add messaging anywhere feature as well. I think it was amazing to easily type message I get, and not have to pick up the phone. I miss all these features if I use a Windows 7/8 system. And I am still annoyed that the Messaging anywhere was removed at the last minute, which is showing its impact to me.

Many devs says that Bash is the most important feature of Windows 10, as most of the web runs on Linux/Unix. So as a developer to setup back-end stuff to setup and test their app with a web back-end (including using tools that are Linux only), is very impactful to them. It was a strong point for many devs, especially mobile app development as most app have a web back-end, to use an Apple computer, or setup a VM running a Linux based OS.

I'm a hardcore enthusiast, can used bugged stuff everywhere and don't have a single problem with that, but hey, I'm not that stupid. Think with me: if MSFT is loosing browser users, and competitors have features that keep them using their products, the first thing you should to is make it easier as possible to migrate from competitors platform to yours. I used Chrome for ages, switched to Opera without a single hiccup, but look, Edge can't import history, can't import passwords, you can't even see or edit saved passwords in Edge. I'm not going to type every single password once again, to not be able to recover it later. Nobody is going to do that.

You forget that they restarted from scratch, and they have to do 2 things: The engine and the GUI. Chrome and Firefox both evolved over time. They were both very primitive, and helped with a simpler time with simpler web standards. Opera they just changed the engine to one that was already built (Chromium).

You're lucky if your calendar app works nicely, mine is pretty darn bugged. Sometimes I'm writing an email, and then the keyboard stops working, I copy the text to paste somewhere else, as I can't save a draft for some reason, and then when I switch app the message is gone. Reported to Microsoft and the answer was: that bug doesn't exist... And if you don't give a good score to their builds, they just stop supporting your phone...

I never got these issues, sadly. :/

Other feature removed: placeholders. Still awaiting for a comeback... Even Dropbox already have a feature that they created and then removed for being a bunch of jerks.

Ah yes! forgot about it. Yes! I miss this too.

Another thing that makes me sick: disabling a ton of services almost doubles my laptop battery life. Almost doubles. Yes. Just by disabling stupid services that could be easily postponed to when it's charging...

Useless services? I mean I they are a few, like Smart Card reader, and stuff, but I think most of them don't run....

I think that their problem is really because they have a shit ton of products, and don't take care of them as they should. Apple have almost the same number of employees and way less products to manage, maintain and develop.

You are probably right, and that has to do with managers. I never worked at Microsoft, so I have no idea how it works. But each app should be a different team. Including simple ones like the Calculator. I bet you if they have this, the Calculator app would support graphs, financial functions, and so much more. I think the Maps, Groove Music, Store, Edge, Mail/Calendar, Picture Viewer/Camera, are independent teams (and even then some have 2 products), and you can see how much they evolve over short period of time. While the rest of the apps feels like it is 1 bug team trying to manage everything.

Ok I got Groove Music update on both my phone and PC, and the new features are real nice.

Now it needs family plan, podcast, and maybe EQ (I don't care, but it is asked a lot)

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ok I got Groove Music update on both my phone and PC, and the new features are real nice.

Now it needs family plan, podcast, and maybe EQ (I don't care, but it is asked a lot)

Mobile already has an EQ......

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Mobile already has an EQ......

That is the phone that has it. Not Groove music. And again.. I don't care... if I cared I would use my sound card/chip one. But if you look at the feedback hub it is asked a lot. I think because iTunes has it, same for foobar2000, Media Player, and even old music players like Winamp.

Microsoft releases a new cumulative update for all rings of Windows 10, bringing the build number to: 14393.67

This update is not the same as the one was just released a moment ago for Anniversary Update users (14939.51)

This update is also for Windows 10 Mobile users and Microsoft only shares the following:

• Addressed issue that prevents users from completing the out-of-box experience (OOBE) with a local account using Korean characters.

They are probably other small bug fixes. It could also be in preparation for Redstone 2.

Microsoft releases a new cumulative update for all rings of Windows 10, bringing the build number to: 14393.67

This update is not the same as the one was just released a moment ago for Anniversary Update users (14939.51)

This update is also for Windows 10 Mobile users and Microsoft only shares the following:

They are probably other small bug fixes. It could also be in preparation for Redstone 2.

This is off topic but how do you make the Surface battery life decent?

43 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is off topic but how do you make the Surface battery life decent?

Make sure you have the latest firmware and update installed. Don't use Chrome, remove auto-updater software running on the back and services, like Flash or Adobe Reader. Update them manually. Use Windows Defender.

If the system is new, keep in mind that Windows does a bunch of maintenance process. Transfer all your files, make sure OneDrive is sync fully, manually execute TRIM with Windows built-in Disk Optimization (click on C:\ and hit Optimize), search for "Maintenance" in the start menu, and open "Security & Maintenance". A panel will open, go under Maintenance  section, and then click on "Start Maintenance" blue link. Let it run, plugged in. Feel free to disable Sleep so that Windows has a chance to process everything. Once done, enable back sleep, and you should be good.

You can also disable Connected Standby.

I am updating my tweak tool which will add this. But I am recoding it from scratch, so it will take time.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Make sure you have the latest firmware and update installed. Don't use Chrome, remove auto-updater software running on the back and services, like Flash or Adobe Reader. Update them manually. Use Windows Defender.

If the system is new, keep in mind that Windows does a bunch of maintenance process. Transfer all your files, make sure OneDrive is sync fully, manually execute TRIM with Windows built-in Disk Optimization (click on C:\ and hit Optimize), search for "Maintenance" in the start menu, and open "Security & Maintenance". A panel will open, go under Maintenance  section, and then click on "Start Maintenance" blue link. Let it run, plugged in. Feel free to disable Sleep so that Windows has a chance to process everything.

Once done, enable back sleep, and you should be good.

It's brand new. I don't use Chrome on it. It's done updating.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

It's brand new. I don't use Chrome on it. It's done updating.

Yea, do what I said. You can also PM me. :)

Oh you were enjoying Anniversary Update? Yes/No? Who cares... Redstone 2 build OUT NOW!

Build 14901

What's new?

Microsoft is trying to get users to discover features of Windows 10, with a new pop-up insider File Explorer

snip_20160808140716-1024x735.png

Improving Product Education: As part of an effort to explore new ways of educating our customers on features in Windows 10 – we are testing out new notifications within File Explorer. They’re designed to help customers by providing quick, easy information about things they can do or new features they can try to have a better experience with Windows 10. If you want to opt out of these notifications, you can do so by unchecking ‘Show sync provider notifications’ from the Options menu in the File Explorer View tab.

Known issues

• Adobe Acrobat Reader crashes when you try to launch it.
  • Support for kernel debugging has been temporarily removed.
    A work-around will be posted to the Debugging Tools for Windows Blog shortly.

Microsoft explains that to not really expect new features in the coming builds as they work on the foundations for new things, and on OneCore, the shared core part of Windows 10 with other types of devices (desktop, laptop, tablet, convertible, phone, HoloLens, XBox One).

Also, Microsoft share its Thanks

THANK YOU for helping us release the Windows 10 Anniversary Update to our customers last week! We couldn’t have done it without you. Now that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Build 14393) has been released to our customers, it has replaced the Windows 10 November Update (Build 10586) in the Current Branch. We’re now ready to start releasing new builds from our Development Branch again. Today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14901 for PC to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.