First Case of Ebola on US Soil

-snip

Your avatar could not be more appropriate

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Your avatar could not be more appropriate

I need to use Supernatural anyway I can!

tumblr_m77mfeweVQ1rziwwco1_500.gif

Because he had a hard drive.

I really hope you are correct.

Think about it. If humanity was still at the medical science level that it was when the Spanish Flu broke out during the first world war, then yes, I could see a huge cause for concern. However, our medical science has pushed so far since then, we are able to produce cures, vaccines, whatever for a lot of the deadly virus' out there in a matter of days/weeks now. They have put the man in isolation, so they must be taking all the necessary precautions to prevent a major outbreak. 

I am not saying that there isn't any cause for concern as there is, but what I am saying is as it originally broke out in Africa, the people there are less likely to be treated too, especially the poor. Meaning more deaths, more people catching the virus and so on. Whereas, in the US and other more/well developed countries, the likelihood of it becoming as serious as Africa is very slim, though that risk is still there, and I do see the virus reaching Europe and other parts of the world soon, just as Swine Flu did. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

UPDATE:

Well, not really an update. But the CDC and the government are flat out refusing to tell anyone what airport this guy flew in through. We do know he is from Liberia (not sure if that was mentioned earlier)

UPDATE:

Well, not really an update. But the CDC and the government are flat out refusing to tell anyone what airport this guy flew in through. We do know he is from Liberia (not sure if that was mentioned earlier)

No big surprise, Why WOULD you tell the anyone which airliner.

Because he had a hard drive.

Probably to alert the possibly 5000+ people that might have come into contact in some way with this guy?

They wouldn't. 

It could induce mass hysteria. People claiming they have symptoms when they don't. 

A conversion disorder of sorts. 

So, it's only one right now, but tell me this. How many people could he have possibly infected coming through the airport?

Unless he threw up on someone, probably no one. Ebola is only passed through bodily fluids.

UPDATE:

It was Obama's private jet. /conspiracy theory

Unless he threw up on someone, probably no one. Ebola is only passed through bodily fluids.

And touching. Unless that one is incorrect. 

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

He wipes his nose, touches something, say a seat in the lobby, someone else later sits in that seat, it's not implausible or unlikely.

They wouldn't. 

It could induce mass hysteria. People claiming they have symptoms when they don't. 

A conversion disorder of sorts. 

So better to not tell anyone, and let the virus possibly spread? Great logic.

It was Obama's private jet. /conspiracy theory

Um, no, I think someone would have noticed air force one?

Rip in peace murrica.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

And touching. Unless that one is incorrect. 

Has to be bodily fluids, according to wikipdia.

He wipes his nose, touches something, say a seat in the lobby, someone else later sits in that seat, it's not implausible or unlikely.

Speeches by people at the CDC that I've seen seem to imply the likelyhood of that is fairly low. One doctor from the CDC said that he wouldn't feel in danger, if he sat next to an ebola patient on the subway, as long as the guy didn't throw up or bleed on him.

Speeches by people at the CDC that I've seen seem to imply the likelyhood of that is fairly low. One doctor from the CDC said that he wouldn't feel in danger, if he sat next to an ebola patient on the subway, as long as the guy didn't throw up or bleed on him.

Ah, ok. Well, I still stand by what I said and believe that it shouldn't effect the US as much as the media will make it out to

Ah, ok. Well, I still stand by what I said and believe that it shouldn't effect the US as much as the media will make it out to

Don't forget that virus's can, if rarely, mutate. And if the guy sneezed, there is the possibility of aerosolized phlem or mucus from a sneeze or cough, being inhaled by others

Common%20Cold%20aerosolized%20particles.

^bodily fluids.

I would also like to point out, that we just found out from the media, that our president doesn't attend 60% of his security briefings..... so thats just great.

Should have just banned Africans from flying to the US for now, not a racist comment I'm just being real.

Risking it just not to appear racist is ridiculous, if that's true I can't believe that's happening.

Need to give blacks in TX a wide berth for a few weeks if you live there IMHO.

Should have just banned Africans from flying to the US for now, not a racist comment I'm just being real.

Risking it just not to appear racist is ridiculous, if that's true I can't believe that's happening.

Need to give blacks in TX a wide berth for a few weeks if you live there IMHO.

Welcome to the democrat left, everything, EVERYTHING, comes second to not offending someone, better that 20 million people die horribly, than offend 1 person.

I would also like to point out, that we just found out from the media, that our president doesn't attend 60% of his security briefings..... so thats just great.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about that. But the same with the flu. Medical science is usually on top of it until the next flu outbreak, but then that only lasts a couple of weeks or days. 

But the biggest cause of virus' mutation is actually our own medication, causing the virus to adapt. 

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about that. But the same with the flu. Medical science is usually on top of it until the next flu outbreak, but then that only lasts a couple of weeks or days. 

But the biggest cause of virus' mutation is actually our own medication, causing the virus to adapt. 

Agreed. I'm just concerned because we've seen that the US government has absolutely no idea what its doing when dealing with crisis' in peace time (pretty good at crisis in war time, I guess). Remember, our politicians seem to think that it's ok to let something happen until the polling numbers are in, then act.

Yeah, according to everything I've heard medical experts say on the matter. It's going to get contained easily in the US.

Don't forget that virus's can, if rarely, mutate. And if the guy sneezed, there is the possibility of aerosolized phlem or mucus from a sneeze or cough, being inhaled by others

Well, if you consider that when people are sick, they tend to avoid sneezing on other people, as much as possible, it's still fairly unlikely. Also, as far as I know, ebola doesn't cause you to have a runny nose or sneeze.

Mutation is much less likely than him touching someone in the first place.

Yeah, according to everything I've heard medical experts say on the matter. It's going to get contained easily in the US.

I don't think that is likely. I can see it hitting Europe soon. If we're really lucky it wont. 

Agreed. I'm just concerned because we've seen that the US government has absolutely no idea what its doing when dealing with crisis' in peace time (pretty good at crisis in war time, I guess). Remember, our politicians seem to think that it's ok to let something happen until the polling numbers are in, then act.

Yeah, that does seem to be a rather large concern with the US government, though that is something I know little about and like the majority of people I know here, neither of us really care too much about politics, unless it is something that we can relate to. 

Well, if you consider that when people are sick, they tend to avoid sneezing on other people, as much as possible, it's still fairly unlikely. Also, as far as I know, ebola doesn't cause you to have a runny nose or sneeze.

Mutation is much less likely than him touching someone in the first place.

Again, I hope you are right, I really do, because it has a 70% mortality rate if I remember correctly.

Then, lets not forget the 3000 people we are sending over there to...... build huts? or something.

Yeah, that does seem to be a rather large concern with the US government, though that is something I know little about and like the majority of people I know here, neither of us really care too much about politics, unless it is something that we can relate to. 

Understandable, but I can say this. We don't expect action from the government anymore, unless it benefits them in some way. It's really getting ridiculous now. Even if acting on something would be the right thing to do, they wouldn't do it if it meant they took a hit in the polls.