Windows 10 Command Prompt Gets Much Needed Updates

Command Prompt has been one of the more neglected applications in Windows over the years but in Windows 10 it is getting a plethora of new features that are long overdue.

New-Experimental-Tab-1.png

Enable line wrapping selection

In previous versions of the Command Prompt, selecting text for copy involved crudely painting a selection box on the screen and hitting the Enter key. But you weren't done. You also had to paste that text into a text editor to correct the abrupt line endings. It was a terribly slow and error-prone process.

But that's all in the past now.

In Threshold, you can now select and copy text as you would expect to in any text editor.

Wrapping-1.png

Filter clipboard contents on paste

Ever pasted in a command only to realize (after it errored out) it was peppered with tabs and fancy quotation marks? I have. And I won't ever again, thanks to a new paste filter in Threshold.

Now when pasting text, fancy quotation marks are converted into their straighter equivalents and stray tabs are removed.

Clipboard-Filtering-3.png

Wrap text output on resize

Resizing the Command Prompt window has always been an alien task. If you somehow managed to get the window to shrink, a horizontal scrollbar would appear and text would remain static and not reflow or wrap given the new constraints.

With this feature enabled, however, the window and its text behave the way you expect.

Resize-Wrapping.png

Enable new Ctrl key shortcuts

Some handy new keyboard shortcuts have found their way into the new Command Prompt as well. I say some because I can't be sure I covered them all. We'll have to wait for the official documentation to come online.

• CTRL + A - Select all
  • CTRL + C - Copy
  • CTRL + F - Find
  • CTRL + M - Mark
  • CTRL + V - Paste
  • CTRL + ↑/↓ - Scroll (line) up/down
  • CTRL + PgUp/PgDn - Scroll (page) up/down

Trim leading zeros on selection

If you find yourself working with a lot of numerical data in the Command Prompt, you may want to turn this on.

When selecting a number with leading zeros (e.g. via double-click), the selection box will begin after any insignificant zeros present. For example, 000001234 becomes 1234. Hexadecimal and decimal prefaced numbers, however, override this rule. That is, 0x1234 and 0n1234 remain selectable in their entirety.

Leading-Zeroes.png

Last but not least it also has opacity support now ranging from 30% to 100%.

The two best things for me are Ctrl + V support (no longer have to right-click and select paste...) and now it will convert "fancy" quotation marks into straight ones (This has been a problem if you've ever copy and pasted a command from a website or document where the text is formatted with fancy quotes, you had to remove them and add standard ones else the command would fail.

Source: http://withinrafael.com/new-experimental-console-features-in-windows-threshold/
Source: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/09/windows-10-command-prompt-finally-gets-dragged-into-the-21st-century/

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Command Prompt has been one of the more neglected applications in Windows over the years but in Windows 10

Windows 10?!

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

Windows 10?!

They next version of Windows. Yes, it won't be 9, it will be 10.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I feel that the Terminal in Ubuntu is better.

Main rig on profile

Zephyrus - Windows 7 side rig

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 4820K, 1x8GB ADATA XPG V1.0 (1600MHz CL9), Asus Sabertooth X79, 240GB Kingston UV400, 1TB Toshiba 2.5", EVGA GTX 960 SC, Enthoo Pro, Corsair CX750M, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Mac Mini (Late 2014)

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 4278U, 8GB RAM, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, macOS Monterey, Logitech G305 K/DA, Logitech MX Keys for Mac, ViewSonic VX2748 (last two shared with main PC)

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X 1TB (technically retired now), Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 2TB, Nintendo Switch OLED

Windows 10?!

yup, they skipped 9 as that is too mainstream

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

YESSSSSSSSS, I hate not having my ctrl shortcuts when I'm working with CMD, this should speed up a lot of my work (I don't think the standard Linux terminal even has this yet)

And that new marking also is amazing. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Finally! I always hated the current one!

Windows 10?!

yeah, there will be no Windows 9, they are jumping straight to 10, where've you been? Under a rock? :P

They next version of Windows. Yes, it won't be 9, it will be 10.

yup, they skipped 9 as that is too mainstream

its not Windows 10, its windows One 0(zero) ;)

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

It's Windows 2!

(00000010) in binary

One is too mainstream it seems.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

So Windows 2?

EDIT: Ninja'd by @Nineshadow

"Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week; why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!" —Samantha Carter

So Windows 2?

well yes, xbox is 1, windows on computers are 2

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

This might be really cool. It would be nice to see if a keyboard is plugged in then there will be no touch screen functionality and vise versa.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I'm sure that they've thought this through, but Ctrl+C already has a vital role in command prompt as the keyboard interrupt (abort the currently running script/command). If that functionality if broken, that is not good (from time to time I have to use uncooperative software that I have to terminate with ctrl+c), although I'm sure that if nothing else, someone will release a 3rd party fix.

The other changes here sound great though, and it sounds like they've made some much-needed improvements to the command prompt, which, while not used by the majority of users, is really useful for enthusiasts and was in dire need of some improvements.

HTTP/2 203

I feel that the Terminal in Ubuntu is better.

well it has to, you do almost half of anything in linux os's on a terminal, it would be horrible if the terminal on it sucked

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

well it has to, you do almost half of anything in linux os's on a terminal, it would be horrible if the terminal on it sucked

you can do far more in the terminal the GUI too. many programs that have CLI and GUI interfaces have more options availabe in the CLI because its easier to implement there and doesnt require ten more menus. terminal very powerful

you can do far more in the terminal the GUI too. many programs that have CLI and GUI interfaces have more options availabe in the CLI because its easier to implement there and doesnt require ten more menus. terminal very powerful

that my point, linux terminal is used for everything, it would be a disaster if it sucked, i never said it was bad

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

that my point, linux terminal is used for everything, it would be a disaster if it sucked, i never said it was bad

the question though is would it be a bigger disaster than vista or win8???

the question though is would it be a bigger disaster than vista or win8???

why do you think it will be a disaster? the few things they showed don't look bad, and a lot of people are looking forward to tomorrows preview (myself included) besides i save my judgment on things that are in beta/preview/pre release demo etc, i never jump on a hate train unless it has proper justification which in this case would be after 10 released completely next year

MS is such a superficial c#nt.

With an army of programmers and tons of experience thats the best they came up with > still waiting for the mind blowing non interface/superficial changes/features.

why do you think it will be a disaster? the few things they showed don't look bad, and a lot of people are looking forward to tomorrows preview (myself included) besides i save my judgment on things that are in beta/preview/pre release demo etc, i never jump on a hate train unless it has proper justification which in this case would be after 10 released completely next year

no no no, you misunderstood me. i meant would terminal sucking be a bigger disaster than vista or win8. not saying win10 will be a disaster, i sincerely hope not

no no no, you misunderstood me. i meant would terminal sucking be a bigger disaster than vista or win8. not saying win10 will be a disaster, i sincerely hope not

ohhh, whoops my bad, well yeah if the terminal sucked it would indeed be worst that the problems vista and 8 have, anything at admin level is done in terminal, can't imagine the mess it could be if using sudo to install something failed

I hope I can customize those shortcuts. CTRL+C for copy just doesn't feel right on the command line anymore.

With an army of programmers and tons of experience thats the best they came up with > still waiting for the mind blowing non interface/superficial changes/features.

No wonder people leave this forum and/or get very bitter towards moronic statements made, like that one.

Superficial cunts eh? Don't have the balls to say cunt? You must be so edgy. 

What more do you want them to say at a release event? All the under the hood changes they made that you can't even experience till you actually use the OS? What more do you want?