The kitchen set: opinions?

After seeing the iPhone bending video from Lewis Hilsenteger @ Unbox Therapy I  thought of the LTT set that's being used in a lot of videos. The kitchen.

The thought that popped in my mind was that I would share the Unbox Therapy video easily with family or non techy people. They look clean and professional. Don't get me wrong I love Linus' videos and I don't mind the kitchen backdrop but I think it hinders the quality feel of the videos. The video and production quality has been steadily going up but the kitchen feels like a non-optimal place to present these technology videos. Yes I know, a lot of techy people don't care about that stuff. I do, and I think it's something that would greatly improve the quality and shareability and thus growth of the channel. Thoughts?

Comparison for reference

6Ck09xV.jpg

Edit: I see some people choosing one or the other. My question is more what do you think about the kitchen set and what do you like/dislike about it? What would you do to improve it?

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

I like the kitchen. Like above said, it's not as bland and has some actual color, and it retains some of the more amateur feeling to YouTube (which is good)

Error: 410

After seeing the iPhone bending video from Lewis Hilsenteger @ Unbox Therapy I  thought of the LTT set that's being used in a lot of videos. The kitchen.

The thought that popped in my mind was that I would share the Unbox Therapy video easily with family or non techy people. They look clean and professional. Don't get me wrong I love Linus' videos and I don't mind the kitchen backdrop but I think it hinders the quality feel of the videos. The video and production quality has been steadily going up but the kitchen feels like a non-optimal place to present these technology videos. Yes I know, a lot of techy people don't care about that stuff. I do, and I think it's something that would greatly improve the quality and shareability and thus growth of the channel. Thoughts?

Comparison for reference

6Ck09xV.jpg

I kind of agree but disagree at the same time. I think the kitchen backdrop makes for a more inviting feeling, but yet, from a professional standpoint, a nice white backdrop would make for a more professional looking video when presenting new tech. I think this a kind of a subjective thing though. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Personally, I don't really care of the background. I actually like it. :D It makes you feel like you're just casually listening to the topic. Makes me comfortable. Also reminds me they're still in their roots. But hey, that's my opinion. :)

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

I like Linus' setting better, not because this is his forum, but because Lu has such a professional set up for just unboxing a product. I have never and probably will never understand the appeal towards purely unboxing videos. Linus' seems more laid back too with a warmer and more welcoming atmosphere and still looks professional. Lu, to me at least, tries too hard when his videos are mainly unboxings. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

He has been in the kitchen for a while and i think a change of backdrop would not be a bad thing. Maybe not going back tho the previous one but just something different. What would be funny is if they started using the green screen for some more amusing backdrops. Unboxing on the moon anyone.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

He has been in the kitchen for a while and i think a change of backdrop would not be a bad thing. Maybe not going back tho the previous one but just something different. What would be funny is if they started using the green screen for some more amusing backdrops. Unboxing on the moon anyone.

He's unboxed a trackpad in space before.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I very much so dislike bright white backdrops and prefer to watch videos without feeling the need to grab my sunglasses. Also I find it difficult to clearly see products when they're surrounded by such a bright white backdrop (probably because I am squinting while trying to watch the reflection my tablets screen is projecting on the far wall).

To me it's like staring into the sun during an eclipse.

In my opinion the best/most professional visual presenter is Dmitry at hardwarecunucks by a mile, not to say the others aren't great, but hotdamn some of Dmitry's shots just make you want to lick the a smexy tech on the screen. Also his backdrops are more aligned with the colour palette Linus has behind him.

didn't you know linus tech tips has a thing about kitchens, hence why there such good bargin's on the forum for them

conspiracy ..... :blink:

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I love the kitchen background. Something about it just seems calming. Probably because it's not a super ghetto kitchen.

I hate the white room to be honest. It's too bland, and just screams "I have an extra room in my house so I do this."

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

In my opinion the best/most professional visual presenter is Dmitry at hardwarecunucks by a mile, not to say the others aren't great, but hotdamn some of Dmitry's shots just make you want to lick the a smexy tech on the screen. Also his backdrops are more aligned with the colour palette Linus has behind him.

Totally agree. Some Scandinavians really have a good eye for presentation and design. The Hardware Canucks guys are awesome at it. You can really tell they put a lot of effort in and it totally shows. 

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

But I like the kitchen. The other guys environment is just awkwardly sterile... Where's he recording his videos? Inside the Cube? :P

He's in a kitchen because he bought a house to base LMG in, because it was cheaper than renting or buying and office building

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Left is TTL's fetish made into a room. Right is "Hey, this is a guy I can relate to who loves tech, but is a bro about it." Just my 2c

I got used to the kitchen background setting.  I'm hoping he'll consider the bathroom for his next tech reviews.   :P

"You're my dearest friend & my love. You lit my path through darkness & I'll stand with you...to whatever end." -Leliana (DAO).

I got used to the kitchen background setting.  I'm hoping he'll consider the bathroom for his next tech reviews.   :P

LinusTacoBellTips  :ph34r:

I came here thinking the beloved kitchen salesman had returned. Sadly, I was left disappointed :(

I'm surprised that linus hasn't gone back to the older, smaller, beige wall with shelves setup, or at least tried other areas to film in, but I suppose what works will continue to be used.

I don't like lews setup as much. Firstly because he only ever seems to inbox stuff (as you would with a channel name like his) and never seems to do a serious review, which would be suitable in a setup like that. Secondly, because it's too white and bright for when I'm trying to watch a review and it's getting dark.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

At first I thought this was another kitchen ad.

I like the kitchen set more since it's more interesting. (maybe it's supposed to be like a cooking show?)