What to do with an old PC?

Ruostunut kokis

So I've had this old PC for few months already, got it for free and it hasn't had much use. What could I do with it? It could be too old to sell it away for even under 20€ and I don't know what could I do with this...

The internals look like this:

post-23506-0-64540800-1411491537_thumb.j

According to the specs sheet in the front of the case it says it has:

-AMD Athlon XP 3000+

-256 MB of DDR RAM

-80 GB IDE HDD

-HP DVD writer

-And some random GPU that would honestly be beaten by a GPU in a mere smartphone...

Additionally: the PSU states it's 250W (non 80-plus. I don't think that certificate even existed back then), and the motherboard is so old it doesn't have any PCI Express lanes (shame, as I can't just slap my old 550 Ti in there). There is one SATA port, though...

Could this be made into anything useful at all? I highly doubt it... Even if this could be made into for example, a NAS, I don't think I'd have any use for something like that.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Install a linux distro or 20. Decide they all don't like old hardware as much as they claim. Let it get dusty.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Can be a NAS as it has no extra ports and it's IDE, I would say either junk it, sell it, or put it away just in case someone you know ends up needing a PC for very basic stuff.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Turn it into home server to store music and stuff on 

This would be my suggestion, too.

perfect repurpose. It can extend beyond music, however.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Some good suggestions here. I might try some of these.

[snip]

Just post your shipping address and pay the shipping. :lol:

lolno (or actually, maybe...)

Emulators dream.

I don't think it can run emulators all that well... Even my Windows 8 tablet could be better at that.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Replying to What to do with an old PC?

Having Fun :D

post-75265-0-70155000-1411492832.gif

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Having Fun :D

[snip]

Heh... Maybe not... I'm not so rich that I could destroy still functional stuff... :lol:

Heh... Maybe not... I'm not so rich that I could destroy still functional stuff... :lol:

Minecraft Server. Even as a NAS, one Sata ain't gone cut it. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Do a video on how to recycle it. ^_^

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Minecraft Server. Even as a NAS, one Sata ain't gone cut it. 

I don't think it would be good enough to be a game server. And also I don't quite play games where I would be a server host (like Minecraft, TF2, CS:GO etc.) and... Well.. I don't have friends so... A private server would be a bit useless.

Do a video on how to recycle it.  ^_^

Hmm... That way, I could get use for both, that PC, AND my camcorder that's just gathering dust. :D

Well, I'll give you a hammer and you can decide what you want to do with it? :P JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Experiment with Linux and pfSense home router stuff. Heaps of things to try.

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

Well, I'll give you a hammer and you can decide what you want to do with it? :P JK

Or just beat it to death with a tripod instead of a hammer? :lol:  A hammer is just so obvious and uncreative...

Double Post 

Or just beat it to death with a tripod instead of a hammer? :lol:  A hammer is just so obvious and uncreative...

LMBO :lol:

Double Post 

Triple post. :D

Turn it into a home server.

I would if I had use for one. Can't figure out where would I use / need a home server and what would it be used for.

I would if I had use for one. Can't figure out where would I use / need a home server and what would it be used for.

You could move some of your files there, so you have more room for games (or whatever you need room for).

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.