What to do with an old PC?

Ruostunut kokis

Desktop to server is like turning a VW Bug into a 18 Wheeler Truck :wacko:

I run my FTP server on an Itanium from like 2004. Heats my house in the cold New England winters too for half the price of regular heating.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

There is old computer and then there is ancient dinosaur.

That thing in the OP is an ancient dinosaur.

There is old computer and then there is ancient dinosaur.

That thing in the OP is an ancient dinosaur.

That's nearly prehistorical. Not quite, though.

I guess I could maybe make it some sort of heater... (like my GTX 590 wasn't enough...)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I would consider turning it into a media machine, hook it up to a tv and watch some Netflix, etc.

I bet it would struggle to run videos at 720p (or even 480p), but that idea wouldn't sound half-bad, even though I don't watch Netflix (yet). But this way I could get more use out of my TV that's just sitting there, gathering dust, and not getting used as a monitor (1080p TV, and my main rig's only monitor is 1280x1024...)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

i would do either a media PC or load it full of hard drives and have it as a dumping ground for your familys pics, docs, ect.

dude, i want it. i love my old agp, ide, and vga ports.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Use it as the most over sized paper weight there is. 

Or just set fire to it. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

sacifice it to please gabeN.

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

You can always turn the old pc in a server / data backup :D

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks