What to do with an old PC?

Ruostunut kokis

You could move some of your files there, so you have more room for games (or whatever you need room for).

I have trouble filling my main storage drive already... It's 1 TB and only 500 GB is filled, mostly by Steam... :lol:

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

the explosives cost more than the pc :P

And not so legal in Finland.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Breathe new life into it with Linux!

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I would install some sort of linux distro. A lot of them run really well on old hardware.

Cover all holes in foam or isolation so it gets really hot in there. Put the side panel back on so its totally sealed, put it on its side, and place your coffee mug on top of it. Now you coffee stays hot and good!! ^^ haha

Or alternatively you could place it under your feet to keep them warm.

id say put a linux on it and put plex on it to make it into a movie server

Brony for LIFE!!!

/)^3^(\ RD FTW
Daily carry: HTC one M8, pebbe steel PBD, nexus 7 2013

web browsing? video watching? a second screen for forums when youre doing something else? the options are endless :D

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I don't think it can run emulators all that well... Even my Windows 8 tablet could be better at that.

Easily, (After many dealing's with refurbishing these)

Just strip Windows98/XP/7/8.1 of all its fancy shit and it can run on a potato :) Esp the older OS's which would be preferred for OS/Emu style machines.

But if you've never dealt with Emu's before, then it's a lot of reading when it goes wrong with (Emulated GPU driver dll's, sound emulation)

Give it a GPU of sorts (DX7-DX9) even the most basic ones should suffice for even the simplest of EMU's like Nes/Snes/M.drive/SegaMS <-- all these gems.

Then give it to a semi-tech familiar family with kids and show them the games that were worth playing, if anything I brought a 3200+ back to life with a Sata1 driven SSD cache drive to help the main drive.

You could spend way less than $50, or about that if you want, and some time. A nice gift to someone.

Effort and Tinkering in your spare time,.. I'm sure you'd make someones day.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The question is what can't you do with an old computer?

I installed Linux on my old comp just to play around with it, but a server is another real possibility.  Don't destroy it with overclocking, though, because it always helps to have a backup computer just in case.

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

So I've had this old PC for few months already, got it for free and it hasn't had much use. What could I do with it? It could be too old to sell it away for even under 20€ and I don't know what could I do with this...

The internals look like this:

_MG_6091.JPG

According to the specs sheet in the front of the case it says it has:

-AMD Athlon XP 3000+

-256 MB of DDR RAM

-80 GB IDE HDD

-HP DVD writer

-And some random GPU that would honestly be beaten by a GPU in a mere smartphone...

Additionally: the PSU states it's 250W (non 80-plus. I don't think that certificate even existed back then), and the motherboard is so old it doesn't have any PCI Express lanes (shame, as I can't just slap my old 550 Ti in there). There is one SATA port, though...

Could this be made into anything useful at all? I highly doubt it... Even if this could be made into for example, a NAS, I don't think I'd have any use for something like that.

Carry it to these guys, they will know what to do with it.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Can I have it? I'll pay shipping if it is cheap

Ehh... Shipping it to US would cost more than anything as old and weak as this you could find on Craigslist or ebay... The reason I was jokingly requesting shipping it for @M-ursu is that the price of the shipping would be actually almost reasonable (or not... 15€ - 30€ for an item that weights as much as it does).

Ehh... Shipping it to US would cost more than anything as old and weak as this you could find on Craigslist or ebay... The reason I was jokingly requesting shipping it for @M-ursu is that the price of the shipping would be actually almost reasonable (or not... 15€ - 30€ for an item that weights as much as it does).

I wasn't paying attention. Never mind. :)

Honestly I'd take the hard drive out and destroy it (if there is any possible sensitive data on it) and take it to somewhere that will recycle it for you. Linux isn't really that good on a system with 256mb of RAM. From what I can tell it only has 2 SATA ports and a system that old probably won't support anything over 2tb (if even that big) and they are likely SATA 1 (150 MB/s) ports.

I know, I have a computer that I think is very similar that I got from work a while ago and haven't found anything useful to do with it but I can't force myself to get rid of it either!

If you are not going to actually use it you could take the magnets out of the hdd and have some fun with those. Also now that I think about it you could use the old components as decorative things. If you are feeling really creative you could turn the case into a display case or something. (cut up the side panel and use that as shelf and buy a cheap piece of acrylic for the window.

SONG- If you like pina-colatas ME- I like them SONG- And getting caught in the rain ME- I sorta like that SONG- If your not in to yoga ME- I hate yoga SONG- Then im the love that you look for ME-  :blink:  no...

Modify the CD-rom and empty the case, make a savings box for you small cash,, maybe power the CD-rom only in some way so you open it and put coins into it and it drops into the case when you close it. Would be cool thing to have.. Maybe spray paint it as well! I did this with a old CD-rom only, so It sits on my shelf, instead of a full pc case, I taped a CD into the tray so i can place coins there and close it fast so the coins shoots into it and drops to the bottom of the cd-rom. Attached a thumb screw to the tray so I can use it to open and close it.

I would turn it into a server! Maybe make a little money running someones Minecraft server. Or just use it for some cloud computing?

Please don't rinse your memory

lmfao I have this same super old PC

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Install PFsense onto it, turn on caching and cache your favourite websites. you can do a lot of stuff if you make it into a router.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JFfpG4BWI

I've heard of people scraping bits of gold off of the ram modules and stuff.  Never done it, but you could give it a shot.

Come visit us at ronincomputers.com! :ph34r:

Why does everyone want to turn a crappy desktop into a server :huh:  I usually turn crappy servers into some type of desktop, even if its parts, assuming I can jam them into a desktop case. Desktop to server is like turning a VW Bug into a 18 Wheeler Truck :wacko:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.