Anyone want to chat? I need cheering up :(

MrTomnus

Thank you everyone - I knew I could count on you guys to cheer me up :)

sounds like everyone's done some interesting stuff today then! :P

I can outplay him! I have a MASSIVE stereo capable of getting louder than his, but I'm not that guy. See my first build in my sig for a picture of the stereo :)

get a bit of classic fm on full blast. ;)

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I've been lucky so far to get decent people that I live with (Just moved in yesterday for my second year).

Spent all day moving stuff around and getting my cables kinda sorted, but they are still a mess -.-

As much as It might suck to have crappy flatmates, soon (next week I'm assuming, if you are there earlier for freshers etc), you'll meet your course mates.

There is bound to be a bunch of people there to get on with, hell they all share the same passion you do. Its pretty easy to make friends if you know you share something like that.

As for if he keeps it up, screw him. He agreed to rules when he got there. If its too loud or he keeps smoking and its on your nerves, tell him first. If it doesn't change, report him.

You are both paying the same amount to live there and both deserve to enjoy your time. 

My flat mate last year occasionally played his bass heavy stuff loud at like 3am, but it wasn't often enough for me to get annoyed.

This year my flat mates smoke, but I mean its not near me and they are quiet so I don't care. (Though not paying any fines if there is any smell/damage...)

They atleast asked my permission first aswell.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Thank you everyone - I knew I could count on you guys to cheer me up :)

sounds like everyone's done some interesting stuff today then! :P

I can outplay him! I have a MASSIVE stereo capable of getting louder than his, but I'm not that guy. See my first build in my sig for a picture of the stereo :)

Maybe go try to party with them just dont smoke the weed...that stuff is bad for you.

Stop being so uptight. If you want to survive living alone and studying at a university you really have to loosen up, otherwise it's going to be hell for you. I'm not saying you have to smoke weed, not at all, but you need to not judge other people for what they do and just go about your day nomatter if the neighbour is blasting gangsta shit or not. If you care and if you try to control the environment around you YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A BAD TIME. Make sure you get your homework done, hang out with all of your new friends and just chill man, doing anything else is going to ruin your day. Blocking out the next door noise is entirely possible, but only if you want to.

Embrace the person within you that wants to be that guy.

And blast some Last Days of Humanity in his direction

You could also be the bigger man, but where is the fun in that?

Or even better, this

And then maybe some of this

And finally, this

And everytime she says "USA" yell "FINLAND"

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

A building blew up not too long away this morning, woke me up early

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Hi guys. I've said on a few posts of mine that I'd be moving to university, and today I made the move to my new room. Everything has been okay; my family helped me unpack and I was really sad to leave them. But I've got a flatmate next door to me who hasn't bothered introducing themselves and is currently playing terrible gangster music with the bass up to 112903490348230911, being generally rowdy with friends he invited without letting my other flatmate and I know, and I think he's smoking weed in there too... I can smell it in the hallway. 

I've rung the helpline of my halls of residence and they have noted it also telling me it's illegal to be smoking weed. I am going to wait until tomorrow to try and introduce myself but he seems like the sterotypical suburban London chav (I hate to generalise, I haven't met him but it's pretty easy to tell from the noise next door). If that doesn't go well then I can ring security which seems like a dick move, but spending a year with that guy next door is intolerable. I know it's stupid but it's really unsettling me - having just left my family and acclimatising to living on my own, I'm quite nervous.

I just want to have a conversation to take my mind off things.

So - what has everyone done today?

dumb MURICAN question, just curious.  Chavs are basically UK trailer trash right?  But is it limited to white people?  Are there black chavs?

I ask because you said he listened to rap, so that made me think he was black, then you said he was a chav, where my only point of reference is Kelly from misfits, ultra chav, so chavy she almost needs subtitles, low rent to the extreme, and the best character on that show.  Even though her brother, another chav, is far less appealing with that chavy accent.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Maybe go try to party with them just dont smoke the weed...that stuff is bad for you.

Weed has very few side adverse effects; it basically makes you high and gives you the munchies. I don't smoke it-ever- but it isn't all that bad.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

your sad because there is too much bass and its too loud? buy yourself some bigger subs, ear defenders and outdo him!  

This guy is onto something.  Get the loudest speakers you can and blast the dragonstea din Tei song at him.  That strange Euro standard all euros learn to sing by age 1.

Once the two sounds collide, they will not pass each other like normal waves, they will cause a singularity of Euro awfulness that will swallow him whole.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Unlucky to have landed a not-friendly flatmate. Maybe if you're dicking around in the kitchen sometime you can bump into him when he goes for something and you can meet him that way. Which uni do you go to, and do you know if he's local or not? 

Also, if you've just arrived at uni get your ass in gear and go do fresher week stuff, bond with people in other places etc and join societies to meet folks with similar interests to yourself. Freshers' Week for me has to have been one of the best weeks of my life, it was a non-stop party.

Sorry to hear you're missing your family though :(

Weed has very few side adverse effects; it basically makes you high and gives you the munchies. I don't smoke it-ever- but it isn't all that bad.

well i mean i know im about to get rekt by people...you can get addicted to it and its a gateway drug.

i dont think he will last a year

I know people who smoked weed and got a degree no idea how...

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Ask him to kindly turn the music down, over a peace offering of dorito's or something. Ignore the weed, what he does in his room to his body is his business not yours. The music however does effect you and you should say something about it. You could just get an equally powerful sound system and crank your music or video games in response.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

well i mean i know im about to get rekt by people...you can get addicted to it and its a gateway drug.

Marijuana is non addictive, and the only thing it drives you to is the fridge. Now if you hang out with doppers than yeah you have a problem, but that is choice you made and I respect that choice- just not the people (even if its you)who dope.

Fyi, caffeine is way more addictive than marijuana.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Again, thanks to everyone for talking, it really has helped. I just woke up at 7:30 and there is no music, so I'm feeling good! Enrolment starts today, and I've met two people across the hall who are lovely - and one of them does computer science! 

Embrace the person within you that wants to be that guy.

And blast some Last Days of Humanity in his direction

You could also be the bigger man, but where is the fun in that?

What on Earth is that song?! I'm sure it's bound to annoy him, it annoys me :P

I've been lucky so far to get decent people that I live with (Just moved in yesterday for my second year).

Spent all day moving stuff around and getting my cables kinda sorted, but they are still a mess -.-

As much as It might suck to have crappy flatmates, soon (next week I'm assuming, if you are there earlier for freshers etc), you'll meet your course mates.

There is bound to be a bunch of people there to get on with, hell they all share the same passion you do. Its pretty easy to make friends if you know you share something like that.

As for if he keeps it up, screw him. He agreed to rules when he got there. If its too loud or he keeps smoking and its on your nerves, tell him first. If it doesn't change, report him.

You are both paying the same amount to live there and both deserve to enjoy your time. 

My flat mate last year occasionally played his bass heavy stuff loud at like 3am, but it wasn't often enough for me to get annoyed.

This year my flat mates smoke, but I mean its not near me and they are quiet so I don't care. (Though not paying any fines if there is any smell/damage...)

They atleast asked my permission first aswell.

I hope it's only going to continue like this for fresher's week. I'll give him that much time to settle in, but if it continues after that, I'm going to let someone know.

snip

you forgot this  :ph34r:

dumb MURICAN question, just curious.  Chavs are basically UK trailer trash right?  But is it limited to white people?  Are there black chavs?

I ask because you said he listened to rap, so that made me think he was black, then you said he was a chav, where my only point of reference is Kelly from misfits, ultra chav, so chavy she almost needs subtitles, low rent to the extreme, and the best character on that show.  Even though her brother, another chav, is far less appealing with that chavy accent.

More or less, yes. You guess right about him being black as well, and you can think of him being like Kelly.

They have seemed to form a small community of their own here - last night we also had about 6 black girls knocking on the door, asking if there was a party. I tried to introduce myself to them, but they just went towards the music... So yeah.

snip

seeing him this morning is what i plan to do, but if his routine is similar to yesterday's, he'll wake up at 12, play loud music for hour, leave the flat then come back at 7 with friends and carry on playing loud music.

And yes, I've been starting fresher's week too! Last night there was a big party in a club not too far away. I had never been clubbing properly before yesterday, and I actually found it really fun! I do want to take earplugs next time though - the only thing that would have made it perfect is if they turned it down a bit... I had to use my phone keyboard to talk to my friends.

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

Bro I have a friend who runs XP on his decade-old "rig". Nuff said.

Part of the Q6600 club

And yes, I've been starting fresher's week too! Last night there was a big party in a club not too far away. I had never been clubbing properly before yesterday, and I actually found it really fun! I do want to take earplugs next time though - the only thing that would have made it perfect is if they turned it down a bit... I had to use my phone keyboard to talk to my friends.

Get used to waking up with a sore throat from literally yelling into your friends' ears and (if you're anything like I am) monstrous hangovers. Freshers' was my first time clubbing too and it was great fun. Just make sure you do something every day and every night at it, you'll come to regret it if you don't :P

you forgot this  :ph34r:

Indeed I did

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)