PC's are getting to expensive. (Australian residents)

G9x001

The cost of building a new pc is to expensive back in 2010 you could build a high end gaming pc with top of the range dual graphics cards for under $3000.00 and 4 years later to build the same pc it will cost you around $4300.00. I earn $160,000 a year gross and I can't even justify spending $4300 on a gaming pc. I will not be building a new pc for sometime to come and I'm still on the 1366 socket with a i7 950 .

Question: Do you think high end gaming PC's are becoming out of reach for the average person?

Here in Portugal in back 2010 or so you could buy 8GB of RAM for 35€, but now it is over 75€...

Then DDR3 is newer while the time passes here...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

I thought PCs were getting cheaper. Australia is supposed to be upside-down, not backwards.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

The cost of building a new pc is to expensive back in 2010 you could build a high end gaming pc with top of the range dual graphics cards for under $3000.00 and 4 years later to build the same pc it will cost you around $4300.00. I earn $160,000 a year gross and I can't even justify spending $4300 on a gaming pc. I will not be building a new pc for sometime to come and I'm still on the 1366 socket with a i7 950 .

Question: Do you think high end gaming PC's are becoming out of reach for the average person?

Parts are expensive in Australia generally. 

I'm lucky enough to have a high paying job to afford a new PC almost every "tock" generation.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

:| 160k AUD. thats 143k in USD. what the hell man quit complaining. You don't have to spend 4300$ on a high end gaming PC. infact by then thats not even for gaming anymore. 1k maybe 1.8k could get you something that'll last you 3-4 years in the gaming world probably.

Some of us are still in school and thank you very much for just throwing in the 160k you make (sarcasm) We don't care how much you make.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Here in Portugal in back 2010 or so you could buy 8GB of RAM for 35€, but now it is over 75€...

Then DDR3 is newer while the time passes here...

Thats because of the HUGE ram factory burning down , and stuff here in europe is usually expensive ( 1$ to 1 euro +10% compared to USA , I.E. USA gtx 760 : 250$ , in europe : 275 euro)

:| 160k AUD. thats 143k in USD. what the hell man quit complaining. You don't have to spend 4300$ on a high end gaming PC. infact by then thats not even for gaming anymore. 1k maybe 1.8k could get you something that'll last you 3-4 years in the gaming world probably.

Some of us are still in school and thank you very much for just throwing in the 160k you make (sarcasm) We don't care how much you make.

Here in Romania 5000$ a YEAR is something a highschool graduate can get :| as a pretty well payed 40+ hours a week job

"

Then save up. What you think most of us doing here? This setup right here is worth 1,2k. Do you think I make that in a month? Yes, but won't starve because a computer.

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

HaHaaaa back to school for all you  little ones in BC! :P

Now back on topic, everything costs more.

With the amount you make, you're well over the average person in the US and make a big chunk of money.

I was able to purchase whatever I wanted even when I was making $50,000 a year.

When I made 145k this was my break down;

$10,000 a month

- $1300 rent

- $100 internet

- $140 phone

- $100 electric/sewer/garbage

- $80 gas

- $500 food

- $1500 investments (retirement, etc)

Leaving well over $6000 left in a month. How are you running into worrying about spending that money? You can live lavishly off this amount 

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

With the amount you make, you're well over the average person in the US and make a big chunk of money.

I was able to purchase whatever I wanted even when I was making $50,000 a year.

When I made 145k this was my break down;

$10,000 a month

- $1300 rent

- $100 internet

- $140 phone

- $100 electric/sewer/garbage

- $80 gas

- $500 food

- $1500 investments (retirement, etc)

Leaving well over $6000 left in a month. How are you running into worrying about spending that money? You can live lavishly off this amount 

Dayum , i wish i made that amount in a year

Dude, seriously.The reason why we pay an arm and a leg for components here in Australia is because we get paid a LOT compared to the rest of the world. Our wages are high and so are our living standards, so I think there is very little reason to complain.

And why the heck are you planning to spend over 4K on a gaming PC? You can build a stupidly powerful one for less that $1500!

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

I have a wife a child to support as well. Its not that I can't afford to spend $4300.00 on a new pc I just have a huge amount of trouble trying to justify spending that kind of money. 

I have a wife a child to support as well. Its not that I can't afford to spend $4300.00 on a new pc I just have a huge amount of trouble trying to justify spending that kind of money. 

That still doesn't change anything... people can live happily on a third of what you're making and still manage to to get luxuries

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It's because of economics. You can purchase a very decent gaming PC for less than $2000 but once you pass a certain threshold where the fixed price to produce and engineer a product cannot be easily distributed among a large amount of sales then the pricing easily gets out of hand. What you are seeing with these top tier builds is a symptom of this but is nowhere near industrial products.

Its likely due to import tariffs(as with all countries that aren't Singapore), low demand(relatively), and higher business expenses(not really for manufacturers but retailers)-ie. higher taxes and minimum wage.

-don't start complaining about how your taxes are no factor or whatever, its late-

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

OUdRqB9.gif

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

160K a year? and you can't justify 4K, you're a joke mate.
I was on less then 40K and I spent 2.5K and got a 780Ti in my machine
Prices here aren't that bad. I even did a price comparison with NCIX and my local supplier, there was just over 200 difference for a full build.
I know in other countries that difference can easily double.
By the way, try living off Apprentice wages then start complaining how expensive everything is.

Thats because of the HUGE ram factory burning down , and stuff here in europe is usually expensive ( 1$ to 1 euro +10% compared to USA , I.E. USA gtx 760 : 250$ , in europe : 275 euro)

That's actually not why RAM was so cheap. It was one of the reasons it got expensive for a bit, but not why it was cheap.

So do a lot of people, making a lot less.

It's strange how people turn straight to abuse when they have no comprehension or knowledge of the question asked of them.

What do you expect? There was no real reason to include the amount of money you make, it just makes it seem like you're rubbing it in everyone elses face.

It's pretty low class.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I feel I should make an "All Australians are convicts" joke and tell you to steal the components. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I "get" $842.80/fortnight ($421.40/week, a shade under $22K/year) on govo pay (since apparently I'm "unemployable" even if I wanted to get a damn job), of which no less than $600/pay goes directly into housekeeping for paying for things like power, water, food, phone/net (don't even use the landline it's just there for the modem to work). The other $242.80/fortnight ($121.40/week, $6312.8/year) is my personal "play money" for buying things like computer parts.

For me to afford out-and-out buying a computer worth $4K in parts, that's about 8 months of saving every other week's pay, not accounting for the cost of shipping & handling to GET the parts to me (I'm 100-120km from the nearest burger joint, mall or cinema, so it's easier just to get the parts shipped up from Melbourne than it is to spend a 2-hour round-trip to get the parts at a 'local' store).

Parts are expensive here yes, but you don't need to spend $4000 if you don't NEED to, just like everyone else... they could spend thousands more than they had to at their equivalent currency.

I've lived here my whole life, and while I'm not a fancy 1440p>Triple screen dualGPU type of PC user, I comply with what I feel I need when I need it to my liking,...the second fastest single GPU each 2-3 years,..and a Powerful CPU every few generations isn't that expensive at all.

Personally,..A Great PC starting at say... $1100-1500 is about the money I'd spend for a single monitor system (1440p or less with a lot of good gear) and $2000 for something more powerful for the task being MoreCores+1440p+/Triple1080p.

Still not that expensive, unless you have expensive needs, which is anywhere in the world, not just Australia.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz