Video Demonstrating Windows 9 Start Menu Functionality

RH00D

A video has surfaced showcasing the functionality of the Start menu in Windows 9 (from an internal build of the OS, that is expected to be unveiled on Sept. 30th).

I am really liking what I have seen in the video, especially the ability for the menu to expand horizontally as you pin more live tiles to it. You can also pin traditional program shortcuts to it as well.

At the top of the menu is your username and power icon. Clicking the username allows you to sign out, change user, etc. Clicking the power icon provides you with regular shutdown/restart/sleep options.

Importantly: You can still switch between the Start menu and full Start screen like the one Windows 8.x

Source: http://www.wpcentral.com/video-shows-start-menu-action-early-windows-9-threshold-build?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

The metro UI at the right looks distracting IMO.

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

I like it.

It's like 8.1, but better.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It still looks like it's for old people who don't know how to use anything. 

I'll probably end up installing something to make it look like Windows 7's Start Menu if that isn't an option by default (I hope it is).

I'm never going to use apps as I see no purpose in them in that I prefer programs because they are more Power User oriented.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The metro UI at the right looks distracting IMO.

Well of course if you did not want that extra space you could simply unpin the live tiles and boom, you have a classic start menu!

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

It still looks like it's for old people who don't know how to use anything. 

I'll probably end up installing something to make it look like Windows 7's Start Menu if that isn't an option by default (I hope it is).

I hope it will have an option to remove the metro UI completely in the start menu :(

If you put it that way @Kherm it looks great. Not that I hate the Metro UI, but it really looks distracting for me

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

How about revamping the damn desktop Microsoft?

Stop fiddling with the Start Menu and bring some real innovation.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Well of course if you did not want that extra space you could simply unpin the live tiles and boom, you have a classic start menu!

That doesn't look "classic" at all. Even if the live tiles weren't there. Unless I missed something.

I hope it will have an option to remove the metro UI completely in the start menu :(

If you put it that way @Kherm it looks great. Not that I hate the Metro UI, but it really looks distracting for me

Same.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

like the downsampling of the desktop? :P

Spoiler

like the downsampling of the desktop? :P

More lively desktop environment, or revamping how the right click menu looks like.

Genuine Widget support so I don't have to fucking use Rainmeter and so on. 

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

You could just unpin all the live tiles and have the same effect. :P

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

For real, where's our multiple workspaces?

How about correct and better scaling for 1600p+ (4k, 8k, etc).

Built in scaling works just fine. We need PROGRAMS to support scaling 

How about correct and better scaling for 1600p+ (4k, 8k, etc).

ikr? @TheDoubleYGamer I think even Linus or Luke said about the scaling issue of windows.

You could just unpin all the live tiles and have the same effect. :P

but... but... but... like @OriginalPromise said, I'm curious on what the new OS can give to the users. We haven't seen big innovations in OS lately. I've watched the video but I'm watching it on mute and this video is the first video that I've seen about the OS and they didn't showcase other features of the OS. Hopefully we can see some new videos in the future.(I don't know if this makes sense to you guys but I'm really tired of seeing minor alterations of previous OS, unlike the Win7 which is still one of my favorites)

Spoiler

For real, where's our multiple workspaces?

Virtual desktops/workspaces were shown in the leaked screenshots. They can be seen in this thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/213178-windows-9-desktop-screenshot-leaks-lots-of-new-features/

Is it just me, or is it sad that we're excited about a company coming out with a feature they had previously had since the beginning?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Is it just me, or is it sad that we're excited about a company coming out with a feature they had previously had since the beginning?

Well yeah, because they screwed up so badly when they removed it :P

Unfortunately,

4f7c58ab23db9.png

Spoiler

It's not completely terrible anymore. Only a little bit. Once I see proof that I can do pretty much everything without leaving the desktop interface I will put down my pitchfork. 

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I know I saw you posted the video in the comments on the other thread after I already made this one. I was so excited when I thought I was first. :(

But it's arguably different since the other thread is about the leaked screenshots and this is about a video of the menu in action.

I know I saw you posted the video in the comments on the other thread after I already made this one. I was so excited when I thought I was first. :(

But it's arguably different since the other thread is about the leaked screenshots and this is about a video of the menu in action.

Not going to argue with that, and it is nice post too.

I'll let have you your fun :)

(but I can't control a mods action)