Am I earning Linus money?

spamming on advertisement will get them in trouble so dont.

If he clicks on an add once or twice a day that will not be considered spam, and will help linus earn more ad revenue.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I like you

You would be one very few.  Ok maybe you would be the only one.  LOL

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Become a contributor, it's the best way of supporting :) 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

EDUCATE ME

most of the time you are payed up front for ad space based on your websites potential traffic its not usually based on a a changing number every day or week. by spamming the only thing you are doing is costing linus bandwidth on his server thus costing him more money albeit negligible but still

You shouldn't be supporting advertisement like that in the first place. Get AdBlock.

Then Linus isn't being paid when you watch his content, simple as that. Yes there are sponsor segments but he has to pay his employees to remember

That's why I don't use Adblock anymore - because I  would feel like I'm stealing his content which he spent days working on and he isn't getting paid a dime for it...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Then Linus isn't being paid when you watch his content, simple as that.

Uh, okay? How is that my problem?

Yes there are sponsor segments but he has to pay his employees to remember

You make it sound like ads are what allows him to make profit. That isn't the case at all, he makes profit off a lot more than YouTube ads.

Uh, okay? How is that my problem?

You make it sound like ads are what allows him to make profit. That isn't the case at all, he makes profit off a lot more than YouTube ads.

Well, basically you're being a jerk...

I think if you made YouTube videos for a living, you'd be pretty pissed off by Adblock. Linus may be good with sponsor segments but he heavily relies on people like contributors because of the sheer number of people who use adblockers.

Adblock genuinely is ruining the internet. People don't realize that if everybody used Adblock, the internet wouldn't exist because sites need to make money to survive. Really does tick me off. They think that companies are gonna "get the hint soon enough," but Adblock users think that finding another way for content creators to get money is easy-peasy. 

Go ahead, argue back, but you'll find that the majority of LTT forum users/viewers of the channel don't use Adblock/whitelist. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Well, basically you're being a jerk...

Nope. Not going to take you seriously at all now. In fact, just because you support forced advertisement, I am going to call you a jerk for supporting unethical things. Also, I'm being a jerk for not wasting my time, staring at some companies advertising to me, just so some stranger on the net gets a quarter of a cent? I'm laughing so hard right now that you think this.

I think if you made YouTube videos for a living, you'd be pretty pissed off by Adblock.

No I wouldn't. If anything, I would encourage viewers to use it and not give in to forced advertisement.

Adblock genuinely is ruining the internet. People don't realize that if everybody used Adblock, the internet wouldn't exist because sites need to make money to survive.

The fact you even think that really doesn't allow me to take you seriously at all. Seriously, that is such a dumb comment that I don't know where to begin.

Go ahead, argue back, but you'll find that the majority of LTT forum users/viewers of the channel don't use Adblock.

Uh, and you think I give a shit about what others do, why? I (don't) apologise for not being a sheep.

Go ahead, argue back just because others don't give in to the same shit you do.

Nope. Not going to take you seriously at all now. In fact, just because you support forced advertisement, I am going to call you a jerk for supporting unethical things. Also, I'm being a jerk for not wasting my time, staring at some companies advertising to me, just so some stranger on the net gets a quarter of a cent? I'm laughing so hard right now that you think this.

No I wouldn't. If anything, I would encourage viewers to use it and not give in to forced advertisement.

The fact you even think that really doesn't allow me to take you seriously at all. Seriously, that is such a dumb comment that I don't know where to begin.

Uh, and you think I give a shit about what others do, why? I (don't) apologise for not being a sheep.

Go ahead, argue back just because others don't give in to the same shit you do.

And it's time to links: http://www.the-makegood.com/2013/06/07/no-the-web-cant-survive-without-advertising/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamthierer/2012/05/13/we-all-hate-advertising-but-we-cant-live-without-it/

http://www.andrewt.net/blog/posts/adblock-is-a-bad-thing

I'd like to point out that you may be older than I, and used to a time where advertising was billboards/TV/radio/secret Old spice ads within Need For Speed/ etc. But the world has changed some and we're all sheep. Got a shirt that says "Nike" on it? Got a phone with "Nexus" on the back? Free advertising from the company. It's not even overwhelming to use anymore because we accept it. I used Adblock plus until Linus really vented his anger about it. Now I don't use it because his channel would grow at a snails pace. I hardly notice ads on the internet unless it's one of those spammy ad-filled sites that have flash everywhere. I don't care if you whitelist sites, but outright blocking all content bugs the hell outta me.

So at least whitelist this site, alrighty? 

And if you want, we can move this to PM's, this threads gonna crowd fast so...

Sorry, just because some person wrote an opinion article, it doesn't suddenly provide evidence. There are also no sources in either of those links, they are literally someone's anecdotal predictions that don't represent anything as a whole.

I'd like to point out that you may be older than I, and used to a time where advertising was billboards/TV/radio/secret Old spice ads within Need For Speed/ etc. But the world has changed some and we're all sheep. Got a shirt that says "Nike" on it? Got a phone with "Nexus" on the back? Free advertising from the company. It's not even overwhelming to use anymore because we accept it.

This isn't the same thing at all. I wear clothes that are good quality, durable, and look good. Whether it has a Nike logo on it or not. In fact, I specifically hate clothing with big, obnoxious logos on them (just because they look bad). If someone wears a shirt just because it is a Nike branded clothing piece, then they are also sheep. That isn't a good thing. Let me now compare this to technology: people who use Beats headphones JUST BECAUSE they are Beats branded are doing so because they are following the crowd - they are buying expensive, poor quality headphones, just because others do the same. That isn't a good thing either, is it? In fact, users on this forum are very quick to call those people out, even Linus/Slick/etc. You shouldn't just accept that people are sheep because 'that's the way it is'. I don't want to use ads, I'm not going to just because others are fine with it.

I used Adblock plus until Linus really vented his anger about it. Now I don't use it because his channel would grow at a snails pace. I hardly notice ads on the internet unless it's one of those spammy ad-filled sites that have flash everywhere. I don't care if you whitelist sites, but outright blocking all content bugs the hell outta me.

That's fine. If you want to view and give in to ads, you are free too. However, you are wrong to disrespect others and call them "jerks" because they choose not to, and may have ethical reasons as to why they don't support advertisement.

So at least whitelist this site, alrighty?

No. And that's not to say I'm not supporting LinusTechTips in other ways than just viewing an obnoxious ad that pays him less than 1/4 a cent per view.

Also might as well point out that your poll (so far) contradicts your claim that a majority of the forum is against it:

jlqmjg.png

Time for bed, anyway.

Sorry, just because some person wrote an opinion article, it doesn't suddenly provide evidence. There are also no sources in either of those links, they are literally someone's anecdotal predictions that don't represent anything as a whole.

This isn't the same thing at all. I wear clothes that are good quality, durable, and look good. Whether it has a Nike logo on it or not. In fact, I specifically hate clothing with big, obnoxious logos on them (just because they look bad). If someone wears a shirt just because it is a Nike branded clothing piece, then they are also sheep. That isn't a good thing. Let me now compare this to technology: people who use Beats headphones JUST BECAUSE they are Beats branded are doing so because they are following the crowd - they are buying expensive, poor quality headphones, just because others do the same. That isn't a good thing either, is it? In fact, users on this forum are very quick to call those people out, even Linus/Slick/etc. You shouldn't just accept that people are sheep because 'that's the way it is'. I don't want to use ads, I'm not going to just because others are fine with it.

That's fine. If you want to view and give in to ads, you are free too. However, you are wrong to disrespect others and call them "jerks" because they choose not to, and may have ethical reasons as to why they don't support advertisement.

No. And that's not to say I'm not supporting LinusTechTips in other ways than just viewing an obnoxious ad that pays him less than 1/4 a cent per view.

Also might as well point out that your poll (so far) contradicts your claim that a majority of the forum is against it:

jlqmjg.png

Time for bed, anyway.

My thread points out that people are either YES, NO or, WHITELISTING. The No+whitelisting is dominating at the moment. I am fine with people whitelisting sites they use frequently that don't spam them with ads, but it bugs me when they full time ad-ablock. Most of the people with whitelisting keep LTT and YouTube as well as sites of people they support whitelisted. It's fair enough blocking ad-centric sites that have "CLICK HERE TO SKIP THIS TOTALLY DICKISHLY PLACED AD" but blocking sites that you use and love (I imagine you use this site quite a bit judging by your number of posts) is wrong in my book. For someone to spend time creating content and you to recieve their hard work for free is wrong. Imagine if you walked into worked one day and your boss told you "yeah, so we decided that we're aren't gonna pay you or insure you in any way, no benefits, nothing. Oh, don't worry, you're still working here, but we just aren't paying you because, we just... don't feel like it. So have fun scraping together some cash and keeping this status of yours intact at the same time "

But it sounds like you're set on keeping your adblockers so do whatever. Just remember that LTT wouldn't need so many sponsors if it weren't for lack of funding.

I think if you made YouTube videos for a living, you'd be pretty pissed off by Adblock. Linus may be good with sponsor segments but he heavily relies on people like contributors because of the sheer number of people who use adblockers.

Find a better business model.

Adblock genuinely is ruining the internet.

Ads are ruining the internet.

Anyone using ads right now is the same as a movie producer using DRM. You think it's OK to infringe on people's privacy and freedom in order to make money just because you are clinging onto an outdated and obsolete business model. If you think it's a choice between "having ads or not having content creators", then I would say it's definitely better to remove these content creators who think they are justified to use abusive practices to make money.

Before you go and make a strawman out of that, I'll say it, if Linus really can't support himself without ads, he should stop trying and go get a job where he can support himself.

Do you remember when people created content because they liked to, and didn't think that people are OBLIGATED to give them free money?

But the internet does kinda rely on ads. Most websites don't sell you crap so how the hell do you think they will get money? Get a job in real life that will pay for the site? that would only lead to mediocre sites due to owners not having enough time to work on them. The only sustainable business in the internet that does not require you to advertise is Amazon and yet Amazon (at least when they started up) relies on ads to let people know about their existence, so you don't need sources to tell that the internet depends on advertisement, you need logic.

Find a better business model.

Ads are ruining the internet.

Anyone using ads right now is the same as a movie producer using DRM. You think it's OK to infringe on people's privacy and freedom in order to make money just because you are clinging onto an outdated and obsolete business model. If you think it's a choice between "having ads or not having content creators", then I would say it's definitely better to remove these content creators who think they are justified to use abusive practices to make money.

Before you go and make a strawman out of that, I'll say it, if Linus really can't support himself without ads, he should stop trying and go get a job where he can support himself.

Do you remember when people created content because they liked to, and didn't think that people are OBLIGATED to give them free money?

It's not only content creators that depend on ads to make their living. How do you think news sites stay alive? How do you think forums stay alive? How do you think YouTube or Twitch stay alive? Even if content creators don't do ads, the websites will because it's not free to run a site, and youtube or twitch or  whatever news sire or forum isn't going to materialize money whenever you watch a video or a stream or read an article or write a post, without ads there wouldn't be a lot of sites on the internet apart from shit like Amazon that can sustain itself without using ads.

What business model would you suggest?

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

I'm pretty sure that clicking on ads does in fact earn some money, although I'd imagine there's something place to prevent repeatedly clicking and closing an ad.

Either way, Linus is great and all, but is that really such a wise way to spend your time and electricity costs?

Do you actually factor in electricity costs when using your pc? Electric is dirt cheap anyway

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

It's not only content creators that depend on ads to make their living. How do you think news sites stay alive? How do you think forums stay alive? How do you think YouTube or Twitch stay alive? Even if content creators don't do ads, the websites will because it's not free to run a site, and youtube or twitch or  whatever news sire or forum isn't going to materialize money whenever you watch a video or a stream or read an article or write a post, without ads there wouldn't be a lot of sites on the internet apart from shit like Amazon that can sustain itself without using ads.

What business model would you suggest?

I'm not saying they don't need money, I'm saying that ads are bad.

I don't know what business model, subscription? freemium? patron? sponsors? Are you saying they chose ad-supported because they couldn't take the 2 seconds to think for themselves?

Also in-video ads are also not great, sometimes Linus has more than 25% of the video dedicated to ads, not to mention the product placement... Do they realize they are costing people bandwidth and money?

My thread points out that people are either YES, NO or, WHITELISTING. The No+whitelisting is dominating at the moment.

No, don't you dare try and move the goalposts and change your point. Your original point was "a majority of LTT users don't use AdBlock". The poll proved you wrong, because 71.43% of the people who answered the poll do, in fact, use AdBlock.

dxjjog.png

blocking sites that you use and love (I imagine you use this site quite a bit judging by your number of posts) is wrong in my book. For someone to spend time creating content and you to recieve their hard work for free is wrong.

Then find alternatives? Just because people not wanting to put up with shit that wastes their time and money and might be a threat to your free income, that's tough. Either get over it, find other ways to fund yourself that don't rely on users being exploited, or just don't bother.

Or better yet, instead of whining and being childish about people not viewing your ads, how about adapt? AdBlock is a thing, whether you like it or not, and people aren't going to stop using it, whether you like it or not. Adapt, or perish. Find ways to make money outside of forced advertisement. I'd respect a channel/content creator who actually tried to be creative and innovative about making income WITHOUT ads than someone who just whined about it and kept on throwing ads in their audience's face.

Imagine if you walked into worked one day and your boss told you "yeah, so we decided that we're aren't gonna pay you or insure you in any way, no benefits, nothing. Oh, don't worry, you're still working here, but we just aren't paying you because, we just... don't feel like it. So have fun scraping together some cash and keeping this status of yours intact at the same time "

Uh, then I would quit. I have zero idea what you're even trying to say here.

Just remember that LTT wouldn't need so many sponsors if it weren't for lack of funding.

That's fine, they can have sponsors if they want.

What I find funny is that Linus has outright said in the past that advertisement is a drop in the bucket compared to sponsorship. As in, it makes barely any difference. I also recall him saying that with how unreliable Google is with ad payment, it hardly fucking matters in the first place.

you can white list the site you know

I use Adblock Edge, there's no "whitelist" AFAIK.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'm not saying they don't need money, I'm saying that ads are bad.

I don't know what business model, subscription? freemium? patron? sponsors? Are you saying they chose ad-supported because they couldn't take the 2 seconds to think for themselves?

Also in-video ads are also not great, sometimes Linus has more than 25% of the video dedicated to ads, not to mention the product placement... Do they realize they are costing people bandwidth and money?

I won't even consider whitelisting LTT on Youtube because of all the advertisements already in the videos.

As a decent human being I whitelisted the forum (don't watch YT on my PC so that doesn't count), and as much as I wish everybody would do the same thing, I can't control other's lives.

I use adBlock I feel bad

Me too. I want to support these awesome people, but i cant stand ads

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

How many Greeks are here?! O.o

We will soon take over the forum 6slrmhh.gif

'Murica!

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

'Murica!

You don't stand a chance bruh! 1v1 me m8 ill rek u m8 u wotch owt

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!