HD 7850 is a 4x slot?

Dimitery

Im wondering if by putting my Asus HD 7850 2gb card in the 4x pci slot if ill be limiting any performance?

first post yay:D

Im wondering if by putting my Asus HD 7850 2gb card in the 4x pci slot if ill be limiting any performance?

Welcome to Linus Tech Tips!

It will, but maybe by like 2 FPS at most if on PCIe 2.0. You won't notice it. There will be no difference if PCIe 3.0

"Rawr XD"

Easy to find out.

Run a few bench's on the x16 slot

Run the same set on the x4 slot.

:o

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

well my mother board is a gigabyte z77 d3h 

Quote button in the bottom right corner of a person's pots helps.

The board has a 16x slot, why not run the card there..?

Easy to find out.

Run a few bench's on the x16 slot

Run the same set on the x4 slot.

:o

A 2.0x4 slot will slow down even a midrange card from 4 years ago.

first post yay:D

the card wont fit there, only on a x16 slot

I've seen PCIE 2.0 x1 (That was fairly bad)

Not seen PCIE 2.0 x4 in action on a capable GPU.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Actually it will, as long as the X4 is "open" (no wall on the right side of the slot)

4770k Delid @ 4.5Ghz/1.25V w/ NH-D15, Maximus VII Hero, HyperX Beast 8GB 1600Mhz, GTX770 DCII OC, Strider Gold S 750W, 120GB 840 EVO, 2TB Barracuda, No case : D

Quickfire TK (MX Brown), Naos 7000, 128GB Surface Pro 2, 32GB G2 With Lightning Rom V4

You know what would help, looking for a picture to make a statement.

Actually it will, as long as the X4 is "open" (no wall on the right side of the slot)

It's 16x size, 4x electrical.

You know what would help, looking for a picture to make a statement.

It's 16x size, 4x electrical.

k

k

In what way is that helpful?

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

4 lanes PCIe 2.0: 2000 MB/s

4 lanes PCIe 3.0: 3938 MB/s

My 7870 (Pitcairn) copy engine can move ~30GiB/s, so copying from/to system memory will by bottlenecked by the system memory itself. in my case ~14GiB/s.

the 7850 (only available as Pitcairn) will most likely have the exact same copy engine.

Also the handbook talks only about the PCIe x16 beeing PCIe 3.0 conform (and only if CPU > sandy bridge). Also if you use crossfire the x16 slot will run at x4 max. (Page 10: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z77(h77)-d3h(-mvp)_e.pdf)

On the other hand. Worst case you still can fill 2GiB GPU memory in ~1 Second. :)

Its highly advised to use the crossfire bridge if your going with two cards.

4 lanes PCIe 2.0: 2000 MB/s

4 lanes PCIe 3.0: 3938 MB/s

My 7870 (Pitcairn) copy engine can move ~30GiB/s, so copying from/to system memory will by bottlenecked by the system memory itself. in my case ~14GiB/s.

the 7850 (only available as Pitcairn) will most likely have the exact same copy engine.

Also the handbook talks only about the PCIe x16 beeing PCIe 3.0 conform (and only if CPU > sandy bridge). Also if you use crossfire the x16 slot will run at x4 max. (Page 10: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z77(h77)-d3h(-mvp)_e.pdf)

On the other hand. Worst case you still can fill 2GiB GPU memory in ~1 Second. :)

Its highly advised to use the crossfire bridge if your going with two cards.

Is the crossfire bridge a ''have to'' or is it just some kind of help with the communication of the GPUs when the PCIe lanes arent fast enough? Sorry, but I am a noob in tech things

Is the crossfire bridge a ''have to'' or is it just some kind of help with the communication of the GPUs when the PCIe lanes arent fast enough? Sorry, but I am a noob in tech things

It's a "have to". It's how the GPUs communicate with each other to schedule tasks

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

There are some non high end GPUs that can run without a bridge. But generally they need one.

Beginning with GCN 1.1 you get XDMA (Cards directly communicating over PCIe) completely replaces bridges. (7850 is GCN 1.0)

There are some non high end GPUs that can run without a bridge. But generally they need one. Beginning with GCN 1.1 you get XDMA (Cards directly communicating over PCIe) completely replaces bridges. (7850 is GCN 1.0)

do they have bridges too? I heard that every motherboard that has space for 2xAMD GPUs can run Crossfire, right?

do they have bridges too? I heard that every motherboard that has space for 2xAMD GPUs can run Crossfire, right?

an amd r9 285, 290 and 290X don't need crossfire bridges. every other amd card that supports cf will need one to run in crossfire. any motherboard with 2 pcie 2.0 x4 slots or greater can run crossfire. most boards have a 16x slot first and then a minimum of one another x4 slot that is x16 sized underneath.   

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016