Graphics Card R9 280X problem ?

nuclear465

This is my second Asus R9 280X Direct CUII Top edition, it has been working flawlessly (without any artifacts) since it replaced my first card (lots of atifacts) in July.

I haven't been spending too much time home lately so my pc was only turned on for about 3 hours since i got home today, but i had to get out to get some groceries and when i got back the screen was like this:

Untitled_zps52410bca.jpg

And i asked myself, and now you guys, if my graphics card is getting faulty again ? I reboot the system and it's now back to normal... for now...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

Road Make Air

RMA it and show them this picture as well 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

@nuclear465

RMA pls

That's what i was afraid of, a 2nd RMA... :(

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

The Asus 280X's are known for having lots of issues. I also had two faulty Asus cards before just switching to HIS. Been perfectly happy ever since.

"Rawr XD"

Oh man, did you check temperatures on idle and load?

Is your card the one with the 2 different fans? Because they actually perform a bit worse compared to their old design.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, did you check temperatures on idle and load?

Is your card the one with the 2 different fans? Because they actually perform a bit worse compared to their old design.

Temperatures are fine (32 to 35 on idle and 68 to 75 on load, depending on the game). I believe that was caused by a power delivery problem (some power spike) while i was gone, because it never happened again and i have been gaming heavily in the past week.

Yes it is the one with 2 different fans.

But right now everything is fine. 

yea the asus cards are basically the same cooler from there nvidia line slapped on to amd so the vrm and vram cooling is atrocious

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Another one down.... that sucks.

I personally believe they totally fucked up AMD's Powertune with their 'rebadged 7000 series' and 290 line.

My Gigabyte HD7950 had 3 Performance states. 2D, Bluray & 3D, and it works fine.. never had ANY BSOD's or weird issues like I've seen with their newer cards.

My Gigabyte 290-OC has a 2 step Powertune with endless variability. 300/150 and 1040/1250, however the idle never sticks to 300/150, and varies in increments 300/305/312/351mhz core clock & all over the place depending what I'm doing,....up to 1040 at any given time.

This new method sucks, and I've had to RMA 3 290's in 12 months.

These cards I've RMA'd, all play games 100% perfect under load and under 75*c all of em, yet declocking (for idle) issues and BSOD's getting into windows are ripe and common, as is my issue.. the cooling down period after exiting the game, this is where most of my BSOD's were happening. (When the card is heated, and voltage drops to do idle)

Not happy with AMD's new line of Powertune at all.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Temperatures are fine (32 to 35 on idle and 68 to 75 on load, depending on the game). I believe that was caused by a power delivery problem (some power spike) while i was gone, because it never happened again and i have been gaming heavily in the past week.

Yes it is the one with 2 different fans.

But right now everything is fine. 

Well that's nice to know. Long live the master race!  B)

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."